Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part L acceptable details are published

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for that.
    Will give it a look later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

nice to see the steel frame option there, even if it is still all a bit bit generic.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

perhaps we can use this thread for disussing them?....

why do we still accept cavity block and drylining as an acceptable construction?
    surely experience has shown that this type of construction is prone to serious issues.... is it due to successful lobbying??

I find the intermediate timber floor detail (6) very interesting.
    There remains a huge cold bridge at the point where the joists meet the blockwork (perpendicular to this detail)... this causes condensation to form on the one area in which it can do its worst damage, namely in structural timbers... also condensation forming on the cold face of first floor drylining is allowed to drain to the batten sitting on these joists???... clever or what??....
    im exasperated...... the uk version of this construction includes a cavity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I agree, the implementation of these details while useful should be considered and not taken as gospel

actually the notes on that particular detail mentions hangers for the joists, a bit better but still a poor solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I tried , without success to date , to interest joist hanger fabricators to provide a solution to this Syd . Whereby a material like Foamglass would be bonded to the "back face" of the hanger

OR

Perhaps substitute a solid AAC block all along the floor zone ?

OR

Use a mahogany , or preservative treated sw 225 x 50 planted on joist bearer - to keep the main joist end grains isolated from the internal wall face ( still need to find answer to the plant end grain )

0.27 u value will require 80mm PUR dry lining thickness ( excluding plasterboard ) . That's a lot of insulation over - the blocks will remain COLD .

Unless a really good vapour barrier is used - difficult to achieve in reality - condensation is a real risk . Better to use adhesive ribbons not timber battens in most cases .

I would seriously consider the use of these to assist moisture build up prevention

http://www.drillvent.com/

Also - at the very least - referring to detail 6 as drawn - joist ends should be treated for MIN 300 mm .

Power points , rad grounds , curtain rails fixings will all tend to compromise the thermal wrap

To be frank - the hollow block should be crushed and use for bulk fill ..... or restricted to garden boundary walls or uninsulated out house constructions
    OR - ok with external insulation systems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

sydthebeat wrote: »
    perhaps we can use this thread for disussing them?....

why do we still accept cavity block and drylining as an acceptable construction?
    surely experience has shown that this type of construction is prone to serious issues.... is it due to successful lobbying??

I find the intermediate timber floor detail (6) very interesting.
    There remains a huge cold bridge at the point where the joists meet the blockwork (perpendicular to this detail)... this causes condensation to form on the one area in which it can do its worst damage, namely in structural timbers... also condensation forming on the cold face of first floor drylining is allowed to drain to the batten sitting on these joists???... clever or what??....
    im exasperated...... the uk version of this construction includes a cavity...

Anywhere else that I have seen cavity blocks used they were for structural purposes only by being filled with concrete and reinforcing in basements and retaining walls. I have worked with an architect from the continent who couldnt believe that people actually used them to build houses!

Yes they are fast to build, but they have no thermal properties, leak like a sieve and break too easily. They are like the bungalow, cheap and outdated.

Advertisement