Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money and photos- advice

Options
  • 29-10-2008 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Headin for a month in 3 weeks odd, just want advice on two things

Money: what is the best option? My mate was saying that the banks charge a ridicilous rate to withdraw cash from Oz ATM- Irish bank account, so what is my best option? I dont want to carry a months spending money in cash as soon as I arrive, but I dont want to use my credit card either (hate using CC/DD card, mainly because it takes longer to buy things which is a pain in the tits, and if I use the card it is too easy to lose track of my spending). Any ideas?

Also, most people who go to Oz manage to stick up photos online while they are there. I want to do this as Im paranoid that on my last night I will get mangled drunk and lose a camera with a months worth of photos on it. Now, I know FA about computers but dont you need to have the....eh....sorting software (for want of a better term) installed on the computer you use, in order to upload and size the photos? Do most internet cafes over there have the main brand software installed on their PCs or is there some other way around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

I think you're best bet for the photos it to get yourself a usb pen drive so when you go to an internet cafe you can just copy all of you photos on to that. So even if you lose the camera you have a copy of them.

As for the money, the bank charges are ridiculous but unless you take it out in cash or travellers cheques you'll just have to pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Hi,

When you say "the bank charges are ridiculous", how much are we talkng about? I'm heading out there in three weeks for a few months, was planning to take out cash as i need it but a few people are telling me the charges are daft, anyone know how much?

Vanman99

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For your photos all you'll need is either a USB memory card reader for the type of card that you have or maybe your camera has a mini USB port on it and you can connect the camera directly to the PC in an internet cafe. Your probably better with some kind of card reader though as that will then just get recognised by any Windows PC as an external disc drive, if you connect the camera directly then some will require drivers to be installed and that won't be possible on internet cafe machines.

You can then upload pictures to Flickr or Picassa or another similar site from any PC just using the internet browser, no other software is needed.

If you want to have another back then you should be able to get the photos copied to CD in all internet cafes as well, but memory cards are pretty cheap so buying more cards and just not deleting anything off the cards until you get safely back home could also be a good plan. Copying things to another USB pen drive is also good for yet another back up, but make sure you know how big the file sizes that your cameras pictures are so that you get enough capacity to copy everything to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You're mate is talking out of his ar$e, there is a standard fee for using an ATM, and the prices are not ridiculous

I used to use my credit card, and I was charged a standard fee for using the ATM, and that was all, (since I had money on my card).

Credit card is fine and dandy, and just like using an bank card, the money will be taken out of teh account in 24hrs

Before I left I loaded up my CC with my money and then spent it, I lost it once and took 4 days to get a replacement, pretty handy

Other than that a bankcard or Travellers cheques are another option

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I used my AIB laser card in one of the bank machines over here. cost me a few euro service charge. That was when i took out a whole loada cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Just rang AIB, 1% plus a conversion charge. Seems almost too low to be true!

Cheers for the photo tips.

Advertisement