Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Missed Call Texts. Scam?

Options
  • 29-10-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all. Lately I have been getting a good few texts from Vodafone telling me so-and-so tried to call me at a certain time, etc. This has happened when I've had full coverage, and not been on another call or otherwise using the phone. I've noticed that its only numbers from other networks, never other Vodafone numbers. Have talked to a few friends about this and they've had the same experience.
    So when you get one of these texts, you naturally call the person back to see what the story is. So instead of you receiving a call that costs nothing, you have to call someone on another network that earns Vodafone money...
    Is this a new business practice of not allowing calls through and then texting you to get you to make the call instead? Its happened so often now, and to enough people I know, that its too suspicious to ignore...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I assume your working it out that the numbers are other networks because your seeing 085, 086, 083 etc. you know any of those numbers can also be Vodafone customers right?

Perhaps there's something wrong with your phone, its more likely then a massive vodafone tinfoil hat conspiracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Puppies

My phone is doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It's not a scam from what I know. I am on Vodafone and I get this text message whenever I miss a call or whenever someone tried to call me and could not connect. It is a message minder service so that if someone doesn't leave a voicemail, you still know who it was. Meteor also has this service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

and like Meteor I'd imagine you can turn it off if you don't want it, I know I have on Meteor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

It happened to me alot- full coverage and using different phones, got so sick of the "you missed a call" that I ended up turning it off-I was tempted to move because I was missing so many calls for no reason!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Well I really only do get them when I actually do miss a call.

When my phone is off.
    When I am in a call.
    When I do not answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zzippy wrote: »
    So when you get one of these texts, you naturally call the person back to see what the story is.

You don't naturally have to call them back. If the caller didn't deem it important enough to leave a voicemail then they can ring again later.
    So instead of you receiving a call that costs nothing, you have to call someone on another network that earns Vodafone money...

As another poster pointed out, you don't know if these are non-Vodafone numbers or not, and additionally, you are choosing to spend your money by calling them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

dudara wrote: »
    You don't naturally have to call them back. If the caller didn't deem it important enough to leave a voicemail then they can ring again later.

As another poster pointed out, you don't know if these are non-Vodafone numbers or not, and additionally, you are choosing to spend your money by calling them back.

Actually, I do know they are non-Vodafone users as I've asked the people who were trying to call me - and its only other network users that I'm having this problem with. I seriously thought it was just dropped calls until my boss mentioned that she was having the same issue, and it was only her non-Vodafone contacts she was getting it with.
    As for not having to call back, of course, but if this is a business policy, they would bank on a certain number of people calling back and they will make some money...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Unless I'm mistaken, it costs Vodafone MORE to have you call a non-Vodafone mobile, than to call a Vodafone one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP may have a point. My phone for work is on 24/7 yet there are one or two a day that show as missed calls. Also, the order of received texts is often in variance with the order they are sent - even when from the same phone, and sometimes very delayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

chrislad wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken, it costs Vodafone MORE to have you call a non-Vodafone mobile, than to call a Vodafone one.

:confused:

Huh? Are they charging themselves more than other companies are charging them to connect a call???

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Same here ,showing missed calls even with full signal but vodafone to vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Huh? Are they charging themselves more than other companies are charging them to connect a call???
    Technically it's "free" for Vodafone to place a call to another Vodafone number. THey have to pay the other network to make a call to them.

Anyways, tin foil hats at the ready!

OP have you tried to report this problem to Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteor charged O2, Vodafone, Three etc for them receiving a call on their network from then, plus vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

i haven't had a problem with it, sometimes i get the messages a little later on like not straight after the call was made but i think thats just a delay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I have got this text from my brother a few times, who is also on Vodafone. I personally do not think it is a scam, as if a plane is flying too low overhead it interferes with my reception, at the best of times...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,044 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This does my head in! Sitting in all day when I'm on call etc with the phone beside me and full coverage then "you have missed X number of calls..". It happened a couple of weeks ago and there was a big hoo-haa in work because I 'wasn't contactable'!

I don't see how there's a scam... :confused:

They are letting you know you missed a call...?

I'm with meteor and if i ever miss a call/dont answer i get a text saying the person was ringing me.

No offence man, but its like saying Dunnes are scamming you by giving you the option of buying things in their store. Vodafone aren't forcing you into ringing back. And why not just text? Don't vodafone do free texts to every network?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,044 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I think what the OP is getting at is that it's that you often get the SMS when your phone has been sitting idle with a full signal all day where the caller has gone straight thru to your voicemail. IMO it's vodafone's way of handling peak network times - the network can't handle the call but they're letting you know that you missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

vodafones network is over subscribed. I used to be on it, but moved to three. Often I'd have my phone beside me, 5 bar reception, ring it and no connection in the call. Rang Vodafone customer care and they "re-listed" my number on the network. Calls would be fine for a few days and the same "no connection" in the calls again. Moved network and no problems since.
    Many of my friends on Vodafone are very hard to call - same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hilltop

I called Vodafone a while back as I was having this problem. Made the point to them as it was happening only with Meteor callers. They called me while I was on the phone to them from what they told me was a Meteor phone and I got the call (call waiting) and more or less told me I was imagining things:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

hilltop wrote: »
    I called Vodafone a while back as I was having this problem. Made the point to them as it was happening only with Meteor callers. They called me while I was on the phone to them from what they told me was a Meteor phone and I got the call (call waiting) and more or less told me I was imagining things:(
    did you expect them to admit there were problems with their signal/caverage? obviously in some areas the network is dropping calls and taking longer to deliver texts and i have found the same with meteor when sending texts and mms. the networks are aware of this as i have reported it to meteor but they probably cant fix it without blowing their budget for a whole year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hilltop

I expect that when a problem is common among alot of customers that they'll do something about it rather than just be brushed off. Pay line rental every month for a service that isn't always what it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I was on vodafone about 6yrs ago and had this problem. I called their customer care and was told if it was raining they could not say for certain if my calls would get connected or not, I laughed at the advisor and left the network

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tinytina

I am getting this recently and it is driving me mad. I am sitting at my desk with fully charged phone beside me, area of full coverage. Then I get texts saying I have missed a call. Yesterday I got a text message 4 hours after the person left a message. That is not a good response time for me replying to a client, and to blame the phone or Vodafone sounds lame to them. I hadn't paid attention to whether the missed calls were from other networks or not.

I am going to have to switch back to my old provider.

Advertisement