Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB + Dell Laptop = not working

Options
  • 29-10-2008 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Had been using Esat BB, now changed to Eircom with a Latitude 1501. Its about 18 months old. Installed the BB yesterday, the wireless one from Eircom, and it didnt work. Rang eircom and they talked me through changing a few settings. Turned laptop off, and then back on, and the internet was not working. Again rang Eircom and they talked me through the settings which had not held, and said its a problem with the laptop, its not holding the settings and i would have to ring Dell. Rang Dell this morning and they want £25 to give me some technical support for this cause the laptop is out of warranty!!! Is there anything i can do myself?? Help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

mel123 wrote: »
    Had been using Esat BB, now changed to Eircom with a Latitude 1501. Its about 18 months old. Installed the BB yesterday, the wireless one from Eircom, and it didnt work. Rang eircom and they talked me through changing a few settings. Turned laptop off, and then back on, and the internet was not working. Again rang Eircom and they talked me through the settings which had not held, and said its a problem with the laptop, its not holding the settings and i would have to ring Dell. Rang Dell this morning and they want £25 to give me some technical support for this cause the laptop is out of warranty!!! Is there anything i can do myself?? Help.

Go to start, all programs. Look for anything with regards to dell wireless. When you find dell wireless, start the associated programs. On the first screen untick the first two boxes and leave the third ticked (if you untick the last one you will have no wireless at all). Then go to start, run and type in services.msc. Go to the bottom of the list and enable "wireless zero configuration". Go to start,control panel,network connections (if you don't see network connections switch to classic view. The link to do this is in the control panel page at the top left) once in network connections, right click on your wireless connection, go to properties. Then go to the second tab called wireless. Tick the the box that says "use windows to configure my wireless connection". Then just close that, double click on your wireless connection and double click on your network. Enter your password and it should be saved now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

Thank you very much, it worked a treat, and saved me 25 pound!
    Muchos gratis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Had to do exactly the same recently for someone using a dell laptop.

I suspect an update must have broken the Dell Wireless utility as nothing else had changed.

Advertisement