Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

really stupid woman question

Options
  • 29-10-2008 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

I have a 03 megane and the electrics are playing up i.e the radio not switching on, the washin liquid for the windscreen is not working and the lighter thing(which I need for the sat nav) is not workin! Like is this the sign of a major problem as I wont be fit to get the car in to a garage till next week?

So basically is this a major problem that I should really take it to the garage today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Doesn't sound safety related, and could just be a fuse (maybe).

Get someone you know who's semitechnical to look at the fuses for you today.

If that won't work, bring it to an indy mechanic rather than a franchised dealer. It'll be more cost effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

go to any motor factors, tell them you think a fuse is gone, ask them to have a look as you don't know what to look for. They're usually good and if it's a fuse they'll give you a new one, if it's not then go to a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

RTFM.

There's probably a handbook with your car with a picture of the fuse box. The fuse box itself is probably by the driver's knee somewhere, and the cover often has the layout of the fuses on it too. Find the one that says 'radio' and replace it with one that says 'spare'. It'll probably be a blade fuse where you can actuall see the wire inside is shorted out. A replacement fuse should be 20c.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Renault's are known for dodgy electrics, but as said a few fuses should sort you out. Don't however go anywhere near a main garage as they may take advantage of you. Best bet would be to go to the likes of Halfords and ask them to help you change the fuses, they'll willingly oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lil-buttons

Thanks - im not bad when it comes to hands on stuff os might give it a go myself and see - sure I can only try!

Thanks to you all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Don't however go anywhere near a main garage as they may take advantage of you.

Oh and dont go near a doctor when you are sick. They only want your money and what ever you do dont trust a partner who takes out insurance for you . They are probably going to kill you anyway.

Really c'mon now. And you are a moderator :(

( ref comment made by delly )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Saab Ed wrote: »

Oh and dont go near a doctor when you are sick. They only want your money and what ever you do dont trust a partner who takes out insurance for you . They are probably going to kill you anyway.
    I think you need to stop drinking during the day time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

steve06 wrote: »
    I think you need to stop drinking during the day time...

..........especially when at work, which is where I assume you are, in a main dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Main Dealers will prob stick on a diagnostics which can eventually prove costly as other harmless problems may be unearthed.

More than likely a fuse

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Really c'mon now. And you are a moderator :(

( ref comment made by delly )
    And WTF does me being a moderator of Gardening and DIY have to do with it? This is the motors forum where both myself and yourself are equal, therefore we can express our opinion as we fit once it follows the forum rules.

Jesus, talk about overreacting when trying to look out for a fellow forum member.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Well if its opinion you want to express then maybe you should have said "in my opinion I would not go to a main dealer". I really have no problem with anybody having an opinion, I just dont like that generalising one size fits all kinda talk that people offer as advice.....Hugs and kisses

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

There's alot of high horses ridin around

Well if its opinion you want to express then maybe you should have said "in my opinion I would not go to a main dealer". I really have no problem with anybody having an opinion, I just dont like that generalising one size fits all kinda talk that people offer as advice.....Hugs and kisses

I'll post the way i want thanks.

If I had wanted to generalise I would have said not to go to any dealer as they would rip you off, but rather i said they 'may take advantage of you'. see what I did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Lots of handbags getting thrown around in here. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

[/handbags]
    Now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Where's a mod when you need one ;)

Could prolly lock this thread tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

delly wrote: »
    Renault's are known for dodgy electrics, but as said a few fuses should sort you out. Don't however go anywhere near a main garage as they may take advantage of you. Best bet would be to go to the likes of Halfords and ask them to help you change the fuses, they'll willingly oblige.

second Renault bashing post of the evening......if dodgy electrics are the arbiter of poor quality, you'd better add the following to the list to be avoided.:

All VW's, Audi's, SEAT's, some Skoda's - MAF's
    BMW's, MAF's, ECU's (from personal experience)
    Ford Tdci's (boost sensors), injectors
    Merc W211 - brake systems, tiptronic gearbox's

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

galwaytt wrote: »
    second Renault bashing post of the evening

and him a mod and all. tut tut.:)

Advertisement