Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RICHIE HAWTIN SET-WHAT TO EXPECT?

• 29-10-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Cannot wait to see Hawtin soo, howver, i hear he is playing 4 tunes st the same time, sounds a bit gimmicky, just wondering if he plays any of his own tunes. ie plasticine, spastick, disco rout etc. Also, is that cube any good, and whats this about the contakt events sending stuff to your phone?!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

he will either be brilliant or ****, last year i seen him play 2 of the best sets ive ever heard (fabric, april and the end, september), then within a few months i heard him play complete ****. That cube thing is aload of bollox but you neednt worry about that as that only comes out at the contakt events, the tripod gig isnt a contakt event. doubt he'll play any of the pastikman stuff bar maybe spastik. The 4 tracks at once thing really isnt as good or gimmicky as you might think, its mainly just 4 loops playing off traktor 3, anyone that uses traktor 3 would/could play it this way (more or less)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

brianc27 wrote: »
    he will either be brilliant or ****, last year i seen him play 2 of the best sets ive ever heard (fabric, april and the end, september), then within a few months i heard him play complete ****. That cube thing is aload of bollox but you neednt worry about that as that only comes out at the contakt events, the tripod gig isnt a contakt event. doubt he'll play any of the pastikman stuff bar maybe spastik. The 4 tracks at once thing really isnt as good or gimmicky as you might think, its mainly just 4 loops playing off traktor 3, anyone that uses traktor 3 would/could play it this way (more or less)

Im jumoing on the commercial bandwagon and heading over to see him at ILT, which is a contakt event. I saw the video at SE one in London and it looked unbelievable, so hoping it is something like that! So Marc Houle will play bay of figs etc then?

i was at SE1 for that, wasnt really looking forward to it as i dont really rate minus, i think hawtin can be unreal on his own if you get him on a good day, but dont really think much of the other minus heads (bar Gaiser). Have friends in london so went over to see them moreso then head to the contakt event, anyway it turned out to be pretty enjoyable, better then expected, they all play back to back so musically its a bit up and down, houle didnt play 'bay of figs' (thank god), hawtin seemed to be doin alot of running around on stage so i think theres more to it then them just playing back to back, any time Gaiser or Hawtin played they seemed to raise the bar a bit musically, id give the whole event a 7/10.

will prob check it out at ILT for an hour or two as theres f*ck all else decent on from around 12-2am.

Im a big minus head myself, have you checked out much of jessie hearththrobs stuff? You don't rate magda? Its underworld and contakt for me at ILT, done with most the electro stuff

i think Gaiser is the only credible artist on the minus label right now.

i like magda as a dj, have enjoyed alot of her sets, reminds me of derek carter a bit, really jackin house feel to her mixes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

... head to the contakt event, anyway it turned out to be pretty enjoyable, better then expected, they all play back to back so musically its a bit up and down, houle didnt play 'bay of figs' (thank god), hawtin seemed to be doin alot of running around on stage so i think theres more to it then them just playing back to back, any time Gaiser or Hawtin played they seemed to raise the bar a bit musically, id give the whole event a 7/10....
    Actually i did not understand the cube thing at the start but i saw this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9weoTVcZfs&feature=related

This is the last part out of 7 vids. he just explains how his setup works and on this last part he explains what the cube is.
    If he did a lot of running around it s because his Traktor is Master and everybody else's slave, so he is a bit like a conductor. Check out the other vidz it s very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I've seen Hawtin a few times and indeed he has always been good, plays or at least used to play some decent Techno although not as manic as some of the German Techno i prefer, people used to compare him to Jeff Mills but i always thought Mills was far better.

Dunno what Hawtin plays now as ive not seen him since the late 1990's.

Actually i did not understand the cube thing at the start but i saw this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9weoTVcZfs&feature=related

This is the last part out of 7 vids. he just explains how his setup works and on this last part he explains what the cube is.
    If he did a lot of running around it s because his Traktor is Master and everybody else's slave, so he is a bit like a conductor. Check out the other vidz it s very interesting

yea had a feeling it was something like that alright

Thanks lads, it should be great anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Just after buying a VIP ticket for this that gives access all areas between Hawtin / Gaiser and the Bestival thing with:

808 STATE (live), DAN LESAC vs SCROOBIUS PIP, FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE, THE CUBAN BROTHERS, SOMBRERO SOUNDSYSTEM, DJs: TOM MIDDLETON (1998 – 1993 classics set), DJ YODA, ROB DABANK, STEPHEN MANNING

Can you say **** YEAH!!!

• Advertisement

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Just after buying a VIP ticket for this that gives access all areas between Hawtin / Gaiser and the Bestival thing with:

808 STATE (live), DAN LESAC vs SCROOBIUS PIP, FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE, THE CUBAN BROTHERS, SOMBRERO SOUNDSYSTEM, DJs: TOM MIDDLETON (1998 – 1993 classics set), DJ YODA, ROB DABANK, STEPHEN MANNING

Can you say **** YEAH!!!

Are they both in Tripod on the same night? Thats a bit ridiculous, who would go and see Dan le Sac with Richie in the other room?

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Are they both in Tripod on the same night? Thats a bit ridiculous, who would go and see Dan le Sac with Richie in the other room?

Nah Richie and Gaiser are in Tripod and the rest are in Crawdaddy / POD. It starts at 9.00 and im presuming that Hawtin wont be on til 12.00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

what date is it?

Jay D wrote: »
    what date is it?

14th Nov in Tripod, 15th Nov in Gent (Contakt show)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sweet I'm getting tickets now

14th Nov in Tripod, 15th Nov in Gent (Contakt show)

Thanks, think I'll stick with the tripod this time, did see him at the Love Parade though in July if that gives me brownie points :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skippy26

i was at SE1 for that, wasnt really looking forward to it as i dont really rate minus, i think hawtin can be unreal on his own if you get him on a good day, but dont really think much of the other minus heads (bar Gaiser). Have friends in london so went over to see them moreso then head to the contakt event, anyway it turned out to be pretty enjoyable, better then expected, they all play back to back so musically its a bit up and down, houle didnt play 'bay of figs' (thank god), hawtin seemed to be doin alot of running around on stage so i think theres more to it then them just playing back to back, any time Gaiser or Hawtin played they seemed to raise the bar a bit musically, id give the whole event a 7/10.

will prob check it out at ILT for an hour or two as theres f*ck all else decent on from around 12-2am.

was at this too, thought magda was pretty good.hawtin didnt seem to play that long on his own maybe 2hrs at the end.looking fwd to seeing what he'll be like in tripod

Jay D wrote: »
    Thanks, think I'll stick with the tripod this time, did see him at the Love Parade though in July if that gives me brownie points :D

Of course that gets u brownie points!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been downloading a few Hawtin sets and man he varies a LOT. Some of them are just so minimal - you really could not dance to it. Others are really chunky techno that would have people going bananas. I'm hoping for the latter. Gaiser has some more melodic stuff - I'm really looking forward to this one

Im presuming with the lack of time Richie will just have to bash them out. Been listening to Gaiser ALOT recentley. His productions are excellent.

• Advertisement

Im ashamed top say i haven't - but will check him out over the weekend. Magdas new album is something to look forward to though

In other MINUS news Marc Houle Friday 21st November @ The Button Factory Temple Bar.

Of course that gets u brownie points!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MFeehan

Gaiser is gonna be bangin, got the new album last week, really wanna hear Ciliate With. Cant ****in wait!!!!

Advertisement