Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RECORDING SETS USING AUDACITY

• 29-10-2008 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Recorded my 1st set the other day using audacity. Two Questions;

1) i plugged everything up correctly - the lines connected from the master in the mixer to the laptop, but i can still hear the sound of me cueing and evn the doorbell and odd sneeze- how do i elimate them so i only hear the music

2) When finished, how do i change the file so it can be moved and played from itunes?

I'm using a mac btw, and dont expect many people to know this. Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1: Turn off your microphone! The one on the computer that is. If you can hear the doorbell, etc, its collecting ambient noise on the same channel as line in

2: Save as a WAV, iTunes can play this. In iTunes right click on the file and convert to mp3. otherwise you need to download the LAME plugin for Audacity and then it has an 'export as mp3' option

Also make sure you're recording in stereo as it has a nasty habit of defaulting to mono.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

You're most helpful, cheers mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Choose the internal soundcard as the source, not the microphone. Levels can be hard to get right if you're using the factory sound card

Jev/N wrote: »
    Choose the internal soundcard as the source, not the microphone. Levels can be hard to get right if you're using the factory sound card

How do i do that? Im using SnapMusic, which i bought last week. The manufacturers claim it works in unison with Garge band (which is the internal sound card on the mac) though it doesnt seem 2. Also, when you say turn off the mic, are u talking about the mic on the mixer or on audacity. I tty turining up the recording part (on the left, beside the microphone in audacity) but it wont let me! Im still getting that fuucking click sound in my recordings when im cueing! I put the 2 cds it came with, the snap music and roxio one in to the mac, and this does feck all. Please help!

Disgruntled Customer!

Think i figued out the problem-****ing snap music wont install on my mac - any1 know why!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

there should be no need for snap music,garage band should do what you need.

seannash wrote: »
    there should be no need for snap music,garage band should do what you need.

Do i not connect the leads from th mixer to the snap music box to the laptop and then rec. from audacity tho!? Sorry - this is completely wrecking my head tho!

okay so im working of a macbook pro but i think its similargo to your system preferences and look under sound,select input,then select line in.
    beside the headphone jack on your laptop thats the line in so youll need an connector that goes from phono outs(your mixers outputs) to that,its a headphone jack.

lemme know if youve gotten this far

its a headphone jack.[/quote]

I have one with red and white leads on both ends, and red and white on one end and a black socket on other side. The guy in Maplin assured me i had all the stuff to install it, it still wont install the Snap Music CD

• Advertisement

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    its a headphone jack.

I have one with red and white leads on both ends, and red and white on one end and a black socket on other side. The guy in Maplin assured me i had all the stuff to install it, it still wont install the Snap Music CD[/QUOTE]
    okay the one with red and white leads on bothe ends will be fine but youll need this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1218&doy=4m11&C=SO&U=strat15

in order to get one end of it into your laptop.
    forget about what that guy told you.ive no idea what soundsnap is but its not required to do this all you need is the right connector.
    so have you got something like that lying around

okay i just saw what comes with snap.
    it says theres an phono(red and white one) to rca(headphone jack) provided
    use that and then pack up everything else

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/ad_715_content.jpg
    its the one called stereo to rca in this picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Flynn-Dog what type Mac laptop are you using?

~Marky~ wrote: »
    Flynn-Dog what type Mac laptop are you using?

Just usual Mac,not Macbook pro or anything

The usual mac does not have a built in audio line like the macbook pro does it only has the mic socket.

The usual mac does not have a built in audio line like the macbook pro does it only has the mic socket.
    you sure man,im pretty certain it does.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1562

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It does ye

/strokes

My ibook g4 it only has the headphone socket and no audio line in built in.

My ibook g4 it only has the headphone socket and no audio line in built in.

iBook not macbook, different laptop

• Advertisement

Yeah it defo does have one cuz i FINALLY got recording off it - when listening back it sounds a tad fuzzy, any1 know if i need to turn down the monitors or the mixer?

make sure the levels aren't going to high going in - make sure either using the record out on the mixer or that you've nothing going about 0dB or max 3dB

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Yeah it defo does have one cuz i FINALLY got recording off it - when listening back it sounds a tad fuzzy, any1 know if i need to turn down the monitors or the mixer?
    if you set the level very low you can always boost it afterwards.this will avoid any distotion or clipping

Advertisement