Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Hostels /Cheap Accommodation

• 29-10-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am trying to plan my own round the world backpacking trip. I haven’t gone backpacking before and I hope to go early in the New Year. I will be travailing solo.

Basically I was looking for any of you guys who have stayed in a partially good hostels / cheep accommodation to let me know about them. There name where it is, any contact details for it, and what’s good about it.

It doesn’t matter where in the world it is as I haven’t finalised my plans yet for where I will be travelling too.

Also if you know of a place I should avoid like the plague that could be helpful too.

I just don’t want to travel 1000s of miles and find myself having to stay in a **** hole when there’s an awesome place 200 meters down the road.

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Anyone stayed at the Shambara Boutique hostel 138 Khao San Rd, Bangkok

I’ve read some good reviews about it and was thinking of staying there but not sure. Anyone know it?

How much should you be paying for a hostel / guesthouse in Thailand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

dont stay on the khao san rd. soi rambutri, about a 5 min walk is much better in terms of quality and price in accomodation. i also wouldnt bother booking in advance for most of asia. rooms are easy to come by and your probably better off having a look around yourself!

how much you pay depends on what type of room you want. personally i wouldnt bother with aircon rooms so on average id pay around 4-5 euro for a decent room. it depends where you are too, expect to pay around 350 baht on the islands for a decent room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

mac123 wrote: »
    dont stay on the khao san rd. soi rambutri, about a 5 min walk is much better in terms of quality and price in accomodation. i also wouldnt bother booking in advance for most of asia. rooms are easy to come by and your probably better off having a look around yourself!

how much you pay depends on what type of room you want. personally i wouldnt bother with aircon rooms so on average id pay around 4-5 euro for a decent room. it depends where you are too, expect to pay around 350 baht on the islands for a decent room.

+1

I stayed in New Siam II on soi rambutri. Its pretty clean, air con room wit private bath room was about €10 between 2 of us. You will also pretty soon find out if your an a/c type of person or whether a fan would do. Myself & my g/f realised that a fan was cool(!) for us and ending up saving €3-€5 a night not paying for a/c..

So maybe you wanna book you place for the first night or two, in which case i would recommend the place above but otherwise you are much better turning up on spec. This gives you the double advantage of being able to see the room your gonna rent as well as the potential to haggle about the room rate...
    Obviously, Had Rin on Koh phangnan at Full Moon is an exception...

Advertisement