Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche Report in the Examiner..

Options
  • 29-10-2008 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

So does anyone pay much attention to these type of features? Is it just more scare mongering from the media?

I will have a read anyway as my little one is back in a creche but would like to hear other people's opinions on these type of reports.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

what does the report say?

Do you have a link?

I have a very strong interest in creches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Do you have a link to it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Do you have a link to it ?

Here it is:Article

It doesn't name names, even of a creche that closed down so its pretty useless imo

Completely pointless article, sure anyone can get that information from HSE, all creche reports are availabe under the freedom of information act.

This is why i am always tell post here, if you have a problem with your creche go directly to the HSE, there is no point coming on here complaining.

I have been reading HSE reports for the last 4 years, the things that go on are horrendous but parents dont seem to notice or care

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

While it's obviously going to focus on worst case scenarios, I'd say there's a lot of truth in it.

My sister used to work in that industry and has told me some horror stories of things she's seen and heard of going on e.g. children all being fed dozol as soon as they arrived and just left to sleep for the entire day... mind you she had some fecking corkers about some of the parents too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Completely pointless article, sure anyone can get that information from HSE, all creche reports are availabe under the freedom of information act.

This is why i am always tell post here, if you have a problem with your creche go directly to the HSE, there is no point coming on here complaining.

I have been reading HSE reports for the last 4 years, the things that go on are horrendous but parents dont seem to notice or care

Have totally agree with pfb here! I'm surprised how little notice parent s can pay to creche care sometimes. A friend of mine had two children in a creche that she recommended to me, i went with her one day to see it and wasn't impressed. It looked well but there were two girls looking after 10 children and one of them was 16 with no qualifications, the kitchen area was tiny and the bottles were just begin rinsed and filled again not washed. I asked why they weren't being washed and they said that they sterilise them after the close of day. So i asked do you have one bottle per child and the woman half laughed at me and said they had twenty bottles for all the kids. I'm not sure what the regulations are but i wouldn't be happy with a kid i don't know drinking from the bottle and it just being rinsed and then passed onto my child. And there was a fair few kids there so they must have been passed around a few times.

I mentioned my concerns to my friend and she wasn't that bothered, just shrugged and said she didn't have any other option. She ended up taking them out when they incresed their fees to 1800 for the two of them in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Discussion about this on Newstalk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Sleepy wrote: »
    ...My sister used to work in that industry and has told me some horror stories of things she's seen and heard of going on e.g. children all being fed dozol as soon as they arrived and just left to sleep for the entire day... mind you she had some fecking corkers about some of the parents too...

No way!

Man alive.

Did your sister report this? People that do that kind of thing should be locked up in prison. To drug the most defenceless members of society is so despicable thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

di11on wrote: »
    No way!

Man alive.

Did your sister report this? People that do that kind of thing should be locked up in prison. To drug the most defenceless members of society is so despicable thing.
    She heard of it through a friend in the industy while it was at the court case stage. Not sure if it was a criminal or civil prosecution though. If my daughter was in that creche you can be sure there'd have been both.

Would love to see what my sister would do if an employer tried to get her to do that... the kids would be getting an early lesson in what decapitation looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

The workers in these creches get paid absoulte crap money too. It's the owners who are laughing, not the girls working for minimum wage. Two of my friends did a 2 year Childcare course and are working in creches, both on minimum wage after being there for a year+ This also needs to be looked at in my opinion, it's a tough job and creche fees are expensive, why aren't the workers getting more of the money? Food, Insurance etc can't be that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Do parents not ask creche owners/managers for a copy of their last inspection? Some parents are very lacsadasical when it comes to who they leave their child/ren with. I reckon that less than half the parents of children that I mind or have minded ever bothered to check out my references that I provided. I give a list of past and current parents to potential families and most don't even bother phoning them to check them out.

I'm a notified childminder and I'm inspected. Childminders don't have to be notified if they look after 3 or less children but notified the HSE before I started so that I could provide the best possible standard of childcare while protecting myself at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

in tomorrow's paper they are listing the inspection reports from creches around the country. I thought today's article was fairly poor, as someone already said here, anyone can get that info form the HSE...unless they name and shame then the article is fairly lame (hey, that rhymes!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

How do you get the info from the hse? Is it on the net or do you have to apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

They should be allowed to name and shame. Plus there should be more done about creche worker's wages.

LolaDub wrote: »
    How do you get the info from the hse? Is it on the net or do you have to apply?

Just phone them up, i have given out their phone here a number of imes , i dont have it to hand right now. you have to ask for indvidual creches.
    SW81 wrote: »
    They should be allowed to name and shame. Plus there should be more done about creche worker's wages.

the problem with the wages issue is simple. In order to increase wages, you have to increase fees which are high enough. it does costs a lot of money to run a creche, insurance, membership fees, continoues training etc. plus there is continuoes replacing of toys and equipment and general maintenance of the facility.

this is the reason why very few facilities catering for 6mt - 2y10m, because it is so labour intensive and they cant make any profit on children.

But the one thing i can tell you in no uncertain terms, creches are closing down left, right and centre because they cant fill the places.

Advertisement