Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SATA2 HDs okay on older PCs ?

• 29-10-2008 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

One of my PCs has only got IDE disks and I want to add a couple of 1gig SATA2 disks. The motherboard is specced for the older SATA1 disks. Will the SATA2 disks work?

I'm not worried about any performance loss as they will only be used for occasional mass backup.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

IIRC, the SATA2 HDDs come with a jumper, which you leave on if you have SATA1 ports, and take off if you have SATA2 ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Aye some drives have a jumper, others do not. If they dont no need to worry as sata2 is backwards compatible.

Advertisement