Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Physics Question...

Options
  • 29-10-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

In an effort to revise some physics over our mid term, i have encountered a question which, after hours of trying to figure out, still eludes me...

The question:

A car of mass 1200 kg which is traveling at 100 km h(-1) wants to stop in a distance of 100 m to avoid a collision. If the maximum retarding force due to the brakes is 2000 N, will the car avoid a collision? What is the minimum force needed to avoid collision?

Answer in the back of the book says NO and 4630 N

Would anyone here be wiling to spare of few minutes of their holiday to show me how to work this out??

Thanks.

Comments

K well I'm not too sure about this, so don't take my word!

Find what acceleration the car would have to have to stop in 100m when travelling at 100km/h:

Rearrange formula v^2 = u^2 + 2as to a = (v^2 - u^2)/2s

Change 100km/h to m/s and you get 27.7778m/s

Sub that into above equation to get a=(0^2 - 27.7778^2)/2(100) when you solve you get -3.8580. Which means the car would have to have a negative acceleration of 3.8580m/s/s to stop in 100m.

Now use newtons equation from his second law F=ma to see what negative acceleration it would really have.

Rearrange to a=F/m; sub in 2000N and 1200Kg and you get 1.6667. Which means the car only has a negative acceleration of 1.6667m/s/s; thus it wouldn't stop in time.

Now the second part:

From the original a=(v^2 - u^2)/2s, we found that the cars acceleration would have to be 3.8580m/s/s.

Sub this in F=ma along with the mass:

F=(1200)(3.8580)

F=4629.6 or 4630N

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 m&ms

THANK YOU !!!!

The v2 = U2 + 2as formula completely slipped my mind..

That is exactly what i was looking for,
    Thank you very much jammydodger :cool:

No problem at all!

Advertisement