Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Weed problem

Options
  • 29-10-2008 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Ok, so have a landscaped bed to the front of my house. Got some lovely plants growing there but it has also become over-grown with weeds and grass. These have grown up through and on top of the plantex and bark.

Soooooo.....decided to take the whole lot up (except for the well established plants). It was a fairly big job and the weeds growing over, under and right up through the black plantex were extremely aggressive. So eventually got the whole lot up - but it now would seem that what I thought was plantex was more like black plastic netting. Not sure if this is a different form of weed prevention material or if the builder was just taking a short-cut with the landscaping. Anyway, I've taken it all away now and it really wasn't doing the job at all. Now I'm left with fairly rough soil, with lots of stones and a mass of weed roots (which are mostly like electrical cable for want of a better explanation) - any ideas what they could be? Any how to get rid of them?

I'm going to go at the soil and pick out the stones and then put down a weed-killer all over the clear soil. I'm just not sure if I'll ever get rid of these weeds fully, as I imagine they could have travelled pretty far under the soil surface. Any one any experience of this?

Am I wasting my time putting down proper plantex once I get the soil right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Ok, so following a bit of research on the internet, its looks like couch-grass is the weed growing in my flower bed. By the sounds of things, its going to be extremely difficult to get rid of, particularly without harming the existing plants. There is also a risk that it may have spread into the adjoining lawn, but hopefully, having kept that well trimmed over the summer will have minimised that spread in the lawn.

Any other tips greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

I have a major weed problem too.
    ...i cant get any at all..any ideas?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Just dig it all up and start again

Really? Is that the only answer?

I've got a few fairly well established plants that I really do not want to lose, would prefer to try and work around them if at all possible.

Kaldorn - by the time I've got this problem sorted I might be ready to join you.

Is it possible to put down weed-killer at this time of the year with any success on couch-grass? I'm thinking its probably gone too cold, but maybe that particular weed grows all year round and putting down the round-up will not do any harm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd imagine the growth rate is nil at present so weedkille will have limited effect...
    We've had problems with that damn couch grass also, spread frmo a potted plant we bought and infested a 8*3 foot bed...
    the roots are serious, deep and they easily propagate from any piece left in the ground...
    We've planted a pampas grass into the bed and I spray the rest carefully to keep it under control.. At least the grass blends it in a bit so it is only noticable when you're very close...

Best of luck in the battle...

Thanks bbam. Thats what I thought.

I have a major battle on my hands by the sounds of things. My bed is roughly the same size aswell and I think the weed might have spread into the lawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Here's a labour-intensive solution that doesn't involve weedkiller, but references the weed-killer-related methodology in the first few lines.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/allotment/couch-grass-1.asp

The hand weeding and removing roots by sieving is a lot of work, but it will also help you get rid of your stones.

Thanks minesajackdaniels.

I had a look at that. Only problem is that I've already dug up the soil and now I'm left with bit of roots sticking out of the ground.

I think I'm just going to try and pick out as much as I can and stick down the weedkiller anyway and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you've already dug it do try sieving. Buy a proper garden sieve - they're about 12-15 inches across - you need one with big holes, not a mesh sieve. That way the loose soil falls through, and you just have to cope with twigs and roots and stones.

Have you checked up on the effect the weedkiller might have on your existing plants?

Also, investigate planting a 'weed barrier' - that's a row of plants that will stop a running grass in its tracks. It might not suit you to do it, but you could plant all around the flower bed to keep the couch grass from invading your lawn any further.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'll definately get one of those sieves - sounds like the right job alright. I suppose the drier the ground the better for using the sieve.

I am slighly worried about the existing plants - I may have to move them while I do the job, although I'd prefer not to as some of them are quite large.

Any suggestions as to what would be an effective weed barrier? Was thinking of putting down some kind of edging.

Advertisement