Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Mattress Scrappage Subsidy Programme

Options
  • 29-10-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

This is odd.

This arrived in the door yesterday. I don't think it was delivered by the postman as it was a blank envelope. Usually mailshots come with some form of address.

I'd be suspicious of the intent behind this as there is no mention of this 'programme' on Google and it falls into the "too good to be true" category.

If it is a scam, what would they hope to gain from it?

:confused:

emssp.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

nagero wrote: »

I'd be suspicious of the intent behind this as there is no mention of this 'programme' on Google and it falls into the "too good to be true" category.

If it is a scam, what would they hope to gain from it?

Sounds very weird.

As to what they would gain - knowledge of where older people live - easier to target for break-ins. Also easier for scams, especially with name, address and phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I googled the postal address and it seems that this is the business there: <Edit> URL removed - the company has nothing to do with the "scheme". </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Seems a bit dodgy.

There certainly doesn't seem to be any such scheme.

There's a number of businesses at that address, if you look for Abbeygate Street Upper

As Paulw said, probably looking for details on older people to help scam them, although 50 is an odd age to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There would be information available on the web and and a website if this was genuine.

I'd suggest that this *scam* is targeting the over-50s as they are deemed more susceptible to scamming/con-artistry than younger people.

Can you report something like this to the Gardaí?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

would it be some bed company like the ones in the uk that were bullying old people into spending thousands on electric adjustable beds that they didn't need or want? and the address is most likely just a mailing address in some office there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd certainly report it to the local Gardai. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

It's a scam, I was talking to one of the biggest mattress manufacturers in Ireland today and they never heard of such a thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Sounds suspect :mad: you possibly have to buy their mattress at €3000 @ 40% =€1800 over priced and a second one for €300

3 times as much you would pay in a retail store.
    Scammers :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im a cynic when it comes to this stuff. They are trying to get your name for a mailing list to sell you overpriced mattresses or god knows what else. They are targetting the same demographic who buy fur lined slippers and dodgy ceramics from the back of the sunday papers as perhaps they imagine they are easier to part from their money, and they have more disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

I got this in the post a couple of weeks ago as well. As it happened we had just been talking about getting my dad a new matress the week before. After a bit of thought it sounded very suspect so I didn't reply. I can't understand what is gained if it is a scam. Its all very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Aren't some of these people assuming that when they chat to some doddering old fool, that doddering old fool will probably have forgotten that his/her life savings are in the mattress?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

mickos wrote: »
    I can't understand what is gained if it is a scam.
    Well similar scams years ago operated on the basis that when you rang up, you found that your discount only applied to certain/authorised/special retailers (of course they were one, conveniently). If you researched further you also found that those retailers were x% more expensive than the average high street price (where x is a number greater than the percentage of discount being offered).

Windows/conservatories/loft insulation/gutters used be regular targets of this kind of tactic.

That said, I've no idea if this case is a scam or not, but it certainly looks dodgy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Thanks all for your input. I sent it on to the news desk in our local radio.
    They contacted the backcare website who knew nothing of this scheme so they did a piece warning people about it.

This thread is now the no 1 result for "mattress subsidy" on google :D

kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Paddock54

I recieved this post card also, I told some friends about it and they didnt even entertain it as being for real! I got a friend in the post office who is checking if it was delivered by the post man... sounds like a good idea but im a bit off 50 yet!

Hope ithis scam is put to bed soon!

Actually, a good idea would be to photocopy it 500 times, fill in bogus information (or the same information 500 times) and then put them in the postbox.

Since it's freepost, the company that sent these out is liable to pay the fee. :D

The more that are sent back like that, the better. It might teach them a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

mick_irl wrote: »
    I googled the postal address and it seems that this is the business there: <Edit> URL removed - the company has nothing to do with the "scheme". </edit>

The address is Century buildings, which is a large building with numerous offcie for rent for small companies and professionals such as design, solicitors, accountants etc.

It also just happens to be an address of a company that sells make-up door to door and also the same company that sells water filtration systems. hmmm... I wonder if they are related????

They were also advertising heavily in job sites for sales people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I'd be concerned it is an attempt to get passport copies since it mentions passports and seems to be targeting over 50's (although they are ignoratnt to these scams as say people in their 60's, 70's and 80's.

Was there scrappage deals before for cars to try and get ol' bangers of the roads circa 2000 IIRC or was it a makey uppy by the mains dealers and the mafia *cough* I mean SIMI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Joe O'Beirne

Actually this mattress scrappage programme is genuine and is being sponsored by [snip] a well established UK company trading for the past 10 years .

The cards were delivered by An Post too early and before we opened our new premises in Kilkenny, so apologies for any misunderstandings this may have caused .
    Our new warehouse is scheduled to open in Kilkenny on the Carlow Rd in early November and in the meantime, contact ... [snip]

Joe O’Beirne
    [snip]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Actually this mattress scrappage programme is genuine and is being sponsored by [snip] a well established UK company trading for the past 10 years .

The cards were delivered by An Post too early and before we opened our new premises in Kilkenny, so apologies for any misunderstandings this may have caused .
    Our new warehouse is scheduled to open in Kilkenny on the Carlow Rd in early November and in the meantime, if you want more information please go to [snip]

Joe O’Beirne

Post reported, if for no other reason advertising is not allowed.

Also if this is in fact not a scam please provide a link to information on the scheme in question and not a link to your business as there is no medion of any such scam scheme on your site. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

took out the contact details - advertising etc

don't think its a scam per se - just a poor attempt at deceiving advertising.

Nowhere does it say that there is actually a law passed called the mattress scrappage scheme. This is just a term that the company has used in an attempt to make people believe that there is something official about this.

They are just selling mattresses for a 'discount' off the presumably highly inflated original price.

Warn your grannies etc, and i wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, but nothing illegal about it afaik - distasteful maybe, but not illegal.

• Advertisement

Joe, well meaning as you may be, posting of sites for the purpose of advertising and the posting of phone numbers is frowned on here. Post reported.*

*and the second post has since been removed completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Joe O'Beirne

Dear " oryx"

We cannot reply to these comments from positions of anonymity as "captain obvious" can. We have to deal in reality, ie real names , addresses, etc to respond. The main theme of these comments seems to be that we as a company are invisible and hiding something so how can we respond if every time we post , some censor comes in and either deletes our message or alters it .

People are making bias comments here based on their own personnel prejudice's and we must be able to respond from a corporate viewpoint and substantiate any statement and that means saying who we are !!!!

Rgds
    Joe O'Beirne
    IBC Group

Dear " oryx"

We cannot reply to these comments from positions of anonymity as "captain obvious" can. We have to deal in reality, ie real names , addresses, etc to respond. The main theme of these comments seems to be that we as a company are invisible and hiding something so how can we respond if every time we post , some censor comes in and either deletes our message or alters it .

People are making bias comments here based on their own personnel prejudice's and we must be able to respond from a corporate viewpoint and substantiate any statement and that means saying who we are !!!!

Rgds
    Joe O'Beirne
    IBC Group
    Boards has a way of doing things. Rules and codes of practice. As a new poster youre not familiar with these, but any posts with phone numbers or links are usually removed. You can state who you are without them. If people want to check your bonafides they can pm you for details.

Rgds
    Joe O'Beirne
    IBC Group

Captain Obvious is a moderator on this forum, as am I.

We do not refute you your right to defend yourself on Boards. However, we do ask that you respect the rules for posting in this forum. Firstly, I would suggest reading the charter with regard to posting in the Consumer Issues forum.

We respectfully ask all people claiming to represent commercial activities to contact the site admins or moderators prior to posting in order to ascertain their validity. A decision will then be made. If you do not follow this path, you face the possiblity of a site-ban and will not be able to post further.

As a point for future consideration, you may find that less use of super-sized red text will enhance your commercial credentials.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Dear " oryx"

Rgds
    Joe O'Beirne
    IBC Group

People are making comments based on the fact the flyer looks like a scam?
    You've got an EU style logo at the top of the flyer referring to an EU mattress scrappage subsidy program which seems to have nothing to do with the EU, and a URL to a UK charity website which seems to have nothing to do any scrappage subsidy. You've also got no company name on the return address.

You're saying the confusion is due to An Post delivering before your Kilkenny premises opened, despite the fact that the return address is Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I ask again Joe, can you please provide information on this scheme which proves its existence and validity.

calex71

Please leave it to the moderators of this forum to determine this poster's validity to represent who he claims he represents

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CEO BackCare

Dear All,

BackCare is a registered charity in the UK. We have nothing to do with this campaign, they are using our name without permission and we do not endorse products. We are attempting to stop the use of our name and website. This is not a legitimate offer through BackCare noe is the EU mattress Scrappage Subsidy Program

CEO BackCare , the charity for healthier backs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

got one of these bloodfy things in the door yesterday...delivered with all the normal post so I'm annoyed with An Post for that, went straight in the bin with all other junk mail

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Did anyone hear the discussion of it on Joe Duffy today? They mentioned this thread.

Advertisement