Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless internet

• 29-10-2008 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I have one of those Asus eepc laptops that runs Linux. I can't get it to connect to the wireless connection in NUIM. The instructions on the Computer Services page are only for windows and osx. Anyone have any idea if its possible to connect with a linux laptop and how i would go about doing it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Contact the computer centre. They'll know what the craic is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

unsupported.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Find some in MINDS the compsoc, and I'm sure they know a way round it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

You've to log on to the VPN in order to use the wifi. You shouldn't be using linux if you don't know how to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

mp3guy wrote: »
    You've to log on to the VPN in order to use the wifi. You shouldn't be using linux if you don't know how to do that.

most eee pcs come with linux, the xp ones are a more expensive option. Alot of people purchase eee pcs because they are cheap. the distro they run is quite simple and lacking of advanced features.

as to the problem, goto one of the techie guys(located in the computer lab during lunch or after school hours) they will help you :)
    and eee pcs make perfect touchscreen car computers if you know what your doing :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I got my MSI Wind to connect with the NUIMWireless wifi and vpn on Fedora 9. They have a howto when you connect to the wifi first and load your browser, it should have a link for the accommodation and they have the settings there, all you have to do that is different is put the host as NUIMWireless instead of the accommodation ones.

Advertisement