Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Save the Athenaeum Rally/Meeting

• 29-10-2008 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

I refer to my earlier post under "Enniscorthy Closed for Business" - well here is your chance to have your say on the future of the Athenaeum! A public meeting to discuss the future of the Athenaeum will be held at St.Aidan's Primary School, Nunnery Road, Enniscorthy on Wednesday next (5th November) at 7.30pm. This may well be YOUR last chance to stop the church authorities from flogging off this Iconic building to the highest bidder - so be there or be square! That is unless you want to see one of the town's 'golden circle' buy it up for redevelopment. Another pub/betting office or estate agents is all the town needs. Maybe the Dept.of Social Welfare could take it over to cope with the only growth industry in the area! Perhaps Bono might have some spare cash after his purchase (?) of Loftus Hall. Seriously - come along and make your voice heard!:):):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Can't see how the Church can justify the sale of this historic building.
    All seems abit strange.... will be there tonight.

Great turnout at meeting:
    • The building has bad condensation and a hole in the slate roof. The structure can be easily saved. It was been locked up for far to long, which has led to its deteriment.
    • The roof must be urgently repaired to save the structure and fabric of the building. A temporary repair is necessary to the roof asap, before funds allow a major refurbishment of the roof.
    • A committee was set up to decide the future uses of The Athenaeum.
    • The building will not be sold without the consent of the people.
    Its a pity it has been left unoccupied for so long. Leaving a hole in the roof of any building is crazy - it will naturally allow wind and rain to destroy the fabric. Lets hope the people of county can come together to save it. Time is a real issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

Seeing as the 'Athenaeum' was the last to surrender during 1916, And one of the first to raise the tri colour for Ireland, Let's hope the committee put up as good a fight :cool:
    Good luck guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Yes - it was a good meeting last night and hopefully something will come out of it. An interim committee has been set up to look into the various possible ways of approaching the saving/restoration and uses for the building. I was one of the many who quickly exited the meeting when volunteers for the committee were asked to stay back - I have my own reasons but with 15 years on different committees I've served my time. I will however be offering my services to the project whenever I see something that I can help with. I would urge others to get involved too as Enniscorthy needs a big project like the Athenaeum to put some life back into the town! A little law and order would help too - Enniscorthy Gardai please note!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

While I realise there is litle call for theatre in the provinces, I think the Athanaeum could make a fantastic venue for both concerts adn plays. I used to be involved with the am-drams there and it was a fantastic stage to work on. I just hope it's not sold off or left bloody derelict.

• Advertisement

Is there a meeting in St. Aidan's school this wednesday night for those interested in joining the new committee.

Have the holes in the roof been patched up yet?

Advertisement