Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Crisis - Yes ive been stupid

Options
  • 29-10-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I lived in Oz for over a year and when offered a credit card from my bank i took it. I spend 3000 dollars and left Oz without paying it. Now a year later ive realised how stupid i was and i want to clear my debt. I dont kow anything about credit cards. How much could i possibly owe after a year of non payements? Im worried sick.

Also, i want to go back to Oz on holidays next year with my wife. Will i be refused entry for such debts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

tomtom25 wrote: »
    I lived in Oz for over a year and when offered a credit card from my bank i took it. I spend 3000 dollars and left Oz without paying it. Now a year later ive realised how stupid i was and i want to clear my debt. I dont kow anything about credit cards. How much could i possibly owe after a year of non payements? Im worried sick.

Also, i want to go back to Oz on holidays next year with my wife. Will i be refused entry for such debts?

would contact your CC company as soon as possible if you are looking to clear the debt as only them will be able to let you know exactly what you owe them. There will be interest accruing on the amount you spend and interest on credit cards can be quite high so would contact them and come to an arrangement to clear arrears.

I dont want to sound bad but they may have tried to proceed legally if no money and no contact from you so i would advise to get in touch so you can clear the debt and clean up your name. They will probably want full payment immediately, especially if they have proceeded legally, so i would advice getting a loan from your bank here or credit union to clear the debt and also the loan you will get here will be at a lower interest rate so probably best to do it that way. Legal action would not help your chances of a visa i would think but i am not sure on that.

Your credit rating will be affected over there though. Hope it works out alright in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

tomtom25 wrote: »

Yeah you can be blacklisted and refused entry, it is a criminal offence.

but I would say around 3400 - 3600 you owe them now, but since the Aussie dollar is so weak at the moment will work out cheaper compared to Euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Just say Fvck em, I had a few cards when I left home, I ran up a huge debt and just ignored them, that shouldnt affect your entry into the country as it has probably been sent to a collection agency, and is therefore a Civil and not a Criminal matter, do you still have the card, if So go on one last megaSpree and then ditch it

ther is a 5 year statute of limitations on these matters so after that your creditrating resets, the banks want you to believe that bad things will happen to you if you dont give them 18 - 25 % interest, ignore them completley, they are a shower of K***s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Just say Fvck em, I had a few cards when I left home, I ran up a huge debt and just ignored them, that shouldnt affect your entry into the country as it has probably been sent to a collection agency, and is therefore a Civil and not a Criminal matter, do you still have the card, if So go on one last megaSpree and then ditch it

ther is a 5 year statute of limitations on these matters so after that your creditrating resets, the banks want you to believe that bad things will happen to you if you dont give them 18 - 25 % interest, ignore them completley, they are a shower of K***s.

Fantastic advice, ring up a 3k debt and ignore it ... genius :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

No, my advice would be to push it out to about $5K then ignore it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm going to lock this thread as I'm uncomfortable with the legal aspect of this problem and the advice that has been given/may be given.

OP, I think you may have to speak to your bank and/or the Australian embassy to get accurate answers to your questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement