Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Define Character

• 29-10-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭

We have heard it all before. Managers & players alike speaking in interviews after game going on about how "we showed great character", "the lads showed good character" etc etc.

What I would like to know is what peoples thoughts are on the "ability". I mean it is pretty undefineable to me. IT seems to be the ability to play the full 90 mins and not give up. But surely this is what a players job is and what they are paid to do.

So... what is character? Discuss...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If you go 2-0 down early on, your head doesn't drop.

It takes a certain amount of "character" to go on and maybe snatch a draw in the last minute, or even better, win 3-2 in the seventh minute of injury, having had two men sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Overcoming all sorts of adversities and controversies to step up and bang in a peno to guide your team to their first win in 2 months and following it up with a passionate kiss of the club badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Overcoming all sorts of adversities and controversies to step up and bang in a peno to guide your team to their first win in 2 months and following it up with a passionate kiss of the club badge.

Lol. That pretty much explains why it's an undefinable quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Getting a yellow card in the CL semi final that rules you out of the final but pushing your team on regardless to win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I think it means that you're showing your depth (i.e your not just another passenger), that no matter what others are doing around you, or the circumstances you find yourself in, you have that depth to keep persevering, where others would probably duck out, or take the soft option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That Jimmy Bullard is some character!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Roy Keane tbh

Stekelly wrote: »
    Getting a yellow card in the CL semi final that rules you out of the final but pushing your team on regardless to win the game.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Roy Keane tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Roy Keane is some character :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Des wrote: »

I know, I know.
    But I wanted to spell it out.

(Also Des, I feel:
    "Thankyou Captain Obvious!"
    would have been better than "...")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Frisbee wrote: »
    Roy Keane tbh

BUT HE WALKED OU........ never mind :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's what most of the Spurs team showed that they haven't got when they were in the sh1ts but miraculously found once a new manager came in and they were worried about their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Yeah, Keano's performance against Juventus in 1999 was truly immense :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    BUT HE WALKED OU........ never mind :pac:

..........showed character & balls :pac: :pac: ;)

deise59 wrote: »
    Yeah, Keano's performance against Juventus in 1999 was truly immense :pac:

Is that not who Stekelly was talking about? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

evil_seed wrote: »
    We have heard it all before. Managers & players alike speaking in interviews after game going on about how "we showed great character", "the lads showed good character" etc etc.

What I would like to know is what peoples thoughts are on the "ability". I mean it is pretty undefineable to me. IT seems to be the ability to play the full 90 mins and not give up. But surely this is what a players job is and what they are paid to do.

So... what is character? Discuss...

Resilience

Guile and moral courage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I thought I was too but now I'm starting to have doubts. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Did Ballack score the winner against South Korea before or after his booking that banned him frmo the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Guile and moral courage.
    Ha, never mind "Character" there's a couple of expressions I'd liked defined!

According to the dictionary "guile" means "1.Treacherous cunning; skillful deceit"
    Would that not mean winning a penalty while there was little or no contact would be seen as having guile? Strange when the person that seems to use the phrase the most hates players like Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Character - self-belief, personal and for the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ha, never mind "Character" there's a couple of expressions I'd liked defined!

According to the dictionary "guile" means "1.Treacherous cunning; skillful deceit"
    Would that not mean winning a penalty while there was little or no contact would be seen as having guile? Strange when the person that seems to use the phrase the most hates players like Ronaldo.

'Guile' means a 'character' in Street Fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭token56

Came in to say Roy Keane, also Steve G in the champions league final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The Drogheda team in the 2-2 draw vs Dynamo Kyiv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

token56 wrote: »
    Came in to say Roy Keane, also Steve G in the champions league final.

.. the character to dive when your team really needs a penalty (can, worms, baboom).

Ballack in WC 2002 did the same as Roy Keane, getting Germany to the final, despite having 2 yellow cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

token56 wrote: »
    Came in to say Roy Keane, also Steve G Didi Hamann in the champions league final.

Fixed that one for ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

m@cc@ wrote: »
    'Guile' means a 'character' in Street Fighter.

he sure is :pac:

i think ronaldo has a lot of character. he may be an ar$ehole but hes got determination and drive almost no matter what.

compare that to rooney who a lot of ppl say is the chief character of man utd... he was taken off against everton cos fergie feared he'd get sent off and has shown himself to be a petulant kid when the circumstances dont suit him. hes a really really strong character when things are going well around him but gets irked too easily. in 5 years he probably wont be like this.

gerrard is another oddity. great when we need him but can have his head in the clouds when we dont.
    and yes, i agree - he did dive in the final. but who cares? we got a big giant "champions of europe" cup for it. utd had to rely on john terry being an idiot...... oh wait....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

For me it's the attitude players show when they're being targeted by fans and opposition players, that which makes them rise above it and resist the temptation to go into hiding or retaliate against petty fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭token56

Fixed that one for ya.

Fair enough, point taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Jazzy wrote: »
    he sure is :pac:

i think ronaldo has a lot of character. he may be an ar$ehole but hes got determination and drive almost no matter what.

Been written off so many times , who's to say he won't come back again and amaze us all again , Wouldn't say he was an arsehole though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Rolling with the punches, coming back from the dead, doing whatever possible to help your team even when you're not made welcome there and making up fro past mistakes. Beckham defines character for me. He made a fool of himself in 98 but came back to become a hero. Was scapegoated by the club he loved and got a boot kicked at him from a manager. Was told by another manager that he wasn't playing again only to fight his way into the team and inspire them to the league. Stepped down as captain of the international team only to fight his way back into it. Put's up with a fool of a wife who named his first child after a bridge etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Eh....yeah? Hence my agreement with him :confused:

Spurs showed character tonight.

Advertisement