Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Anyone read Rope Opera by Vince Russo? Is it worth a read?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Bought Jericho's Undisputed for €15 in Reads in town. Bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I hear it's a fine piece of fiction! I've only heard horrendous things about it, it's apparently all lies where he's brilliant and he takes no blame for WCW.
    glenjamin wrote: »
    Bought Jericho's Undisputed for €15 in Reads in town. Bargain!

Thanks fantastic! The new book?! Might have to grab it so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I read Jericho's book last week. I was under the weather so it made for a nice distraction. I found it had a good few laugh out loud moments near the start. Probably due to the fact I recognised a lot of what he was referring to and the fact his initial period in the WWE was so tough for him. He's brutally honest about his flaws which makes it very funny. I wasn't so crazy about the Fozzy/non-wrestling bits of the book but his style is entertaining and so it wasn't too bad. I thought the last few chapters were quite tough to get through like when he talks about his mother's illness and the Benoit one.

Overall I would say A Lion's Tale is the better book but this is likely to be the best wrestling book this year and maybe for a few years (probably until his next one).

I did see in Easons the Death of WCW book. Has anyone read this and is it a book worth reading?

I did see in Easons the Death of WCW book. Has anyone read this and is it a book worth reading?

I only read it a few months ago, it's fantastic, highly recommend reading it. It's probably the best wrestling book i've read! When I finished i immediately thought I want to read it again! (and I will).

It's quite a good backstage and onscreen look at WCW, noting how financially and ratings wise they got on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

The worst book I've ever read. I've posted on here before about it. Absolute crap from start to finish, goes off on weird tangents constantly, doesn't accept any responsibility for anything.

Really a shockingly bad book. Worst 20 dollars I ever spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Anyone with even a slight bit on interest in wrestling should read The Death of WCW, it is one of the five best books on wrestling that I have ever read. It's really well detailed without being a heavy read, and it gives praise were praise is due and rips apart every problem that WCW encountered and created.

Just thinking about it now makes me want to re-read it again. Next time you're in Easons MNG pick it up.

The worst book I've ever read. I've posted on here before about it. Absolute crap from start to finish, goes off on weird tangents constantly, doesn't accept any responsibility for anything.

Really a shockingly bad book. Worst 20 dollars I ever spent!

Thanks for that, I won't bother picking it up so. The only reason I was considering it really is cuz I just finished Bischoffs book and I felt Bischoff held back a lot. Everyone seemed to be a nice guy in his eyes except the network guys. I thought Russo would at least give a different perspective but I should of known- Russo being Russo and all. Cheers.

Anyone with even a slight bit on interest in wrestling should read The Death of WCW, it is one of the five best books on wrestling that I have ever read. It's really well detailed without being a heavy read, and it gives praise were praise is due and rips apart every problem that WCW encountered and created.

Just thinking about it now makes me want to re-read it again. Next time you're in Easons MNG pick it up.

I got the PDF of it a while ago but the writing was so small my eyes were going to bleed if I read more than a page. Will pick it up if its cheap, I've heard good things about it but I also heard they pretty much just rip WCW apart through about 9/10's of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Yeah it tears WCW several new holes, but it's all backup and justified. Plus it does praise alot of what WCW did right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Recently bought Chris Jericho's "Around the world in spandex" & "Undisputed". Just finished "Around the....." today. Thought it had a great mix of humour, drama & facts. Specially loved the parts about his time in WCW -
    Goldberg seemed liek a real pain in the ass:D

Looking forward to reading Undisputed now, to see what his time in the E was really like!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Anyone ever read "Shocking stories from the squared circle"? Is it any use?

Ok so started reading Undisputed by Jericho the other day, great read so far, but I got to Chapter 10 - "Vince Loves Apes", and noticed a lot of mistakes in his facts. It doesnt bother me so much, but just wondered if anyone else noticed it?

It's mainly getting dates mixed up and such. like the book seems to be going in chronological order but this Chapter is all over the place :eek:.

First off, the very first line of the chapter says -
    "Wrestlemania X8 was looming and it was decided i would work withg my old friend, William Regal...."
    .........That was Wrestlemania X-7 he faced Regal ;), but he corrects it 2 pages later saying it is X-Seven.

Then he goes onto his feud with
    Stephanie McMahon when she had Rhyno by her side, and he was set to face Rhyno at Summerslam.
    Now this bothered me as it was during the Invasion angle and he seemed to just forget to mention that, and also seemed to skip most of 2001 prior to that.

Next he talks about
    introducing Kid Rock on Raw when he played American Badass live.
    But if my memory is correct, this happened around the summer of 2000, a whole year before the above Summerslam feud, when Undertaker returned as the american badass.

Then he went on to talk about
    himself and The Rock joining forces to insult Stephanie, Rhyno & Booker T
    , Once again this was Summer of 2001.

Finally, to finish out this chapter, he writes about his feud with HHH
    which lead to the Falls Count Anywhere match at Fully Loaded,
    which once again was in July 2000, going back a year once again.
    But he writes it as it happened in that order. I will continue reading this and enjoying it, but he could at least double check facts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

reread Lawler's book, that was interesting in light of his upcoming match. Very honest and candid book with some good rasslin stories

Said he and Jerry Jarrett had a sign in their writing room saying 'Personal issues draw money' so wouldn't surprise me at all if KIng has been doing Coles promo's for him

Also admits he wasn't much of a dad to either of his sons and that his relationship with Brian Christopher is more friendly than family

good read even if you know nothing about the old days and I don't

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

Ok so started reading Undisputed by Jericho the other day, great read so far, but I got to Chapter 10 - "Vince Loves Apes", and noticed a lot of mistakes in his facts. It doesnt bother me so much, but just wondered if anyone else noticed it?

It's mainly getting dates mixed up and such. like the book seems to be going in chronological order but this Chapter is all over the place :eek:.

First off, the very first line of the chapter says -
    "Wrestlemania X8 was looming and it was decided i would work withg my old friend, William Regal...."
    .........That was Wrestlemania X-7 he faced Regal ;), but he corrects it 2 pages later saying it is X-Seven.

Then he goes onto his feud with
    Stephanie McMahon when she had Rhyno by her side, and he was set to face Rhyno at Summerslam.
    Now this bothered me as it was during the Invasion angle and he seemed to just forget to mention that, and also seemed to skip most of 2001 prior to that.

Next he talks about
    introducing Kid Rock on Raw when he played American Badass live.
    But if my memory is correct, this happened around the summer of 2000, a whole year before the above Summerslam feud, when Undertaker returned as the american badass.

Then he went on to talk about
    himself and The Rock joining forces to insult Stephanie, Rhyno & Booker T
    , Once again this was Summer of 2001.

Finally, to finish out this chapter, he writes about his feud with HHH
    which lead to the Falls Count Anywhere match at Fully Loaded,
    which once again was in July 2000, going back a year once again.
    But he writes it as it happened in that order. I will continue reading this and enjoying it, but he could at least double check facts :rolleyes:
    I noticed a lot of this too, very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Saw Bruce Harts new book today....anyone read it yet? Is it worth 18 quid?

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Saw Bruce Harts new book today....anyone read it yet? Is it worth 18 quid?

He was shilling it on the LAW a few weeks ago and it didn't come off great, like he wrote the book to "settle the score" and give his opinions of gripes he had. Honestly I wouldn't bother with it but If i hear of any reviews I'll let u know.

fyi Smith Hart rang up later on the show and starting shilling a counter-book he hasn't written yet! wtf :pac:

jaykhunter wrote: »
    He was shilling it on the LAW a few weeks ago and it didn't come off great, like he wrote the book to "settle the score" and give his opinions of gripes he had. Honestly I wouldn't bother with it but If i hear of any reviews I'll let u know.

fyi Smith Hart rang up later on the show and starting shilling a counter-book he hasn't written yet! wtf :pac:

Gotta love them mad Harts.....No reviews on Amazon or Play yet so will hold off buying til i see a review or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ramsmobile

Review of Bruce Hart's book at http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/Reviews/2011/03/08/17531486.html. A mix of fact and fiction apparently.

Anybody read the new Road Warriors book yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Just Finished readin Jericho's book there "A Lion's Tale".

Found it to be good, didn't really focus on any of the squalid aspects of wrestling but came away from it thinking that Jericho is a good bloke who really loves the Business. Some funny stories in there.

Looking for recommendations for the next book... Was thinking either Bret or Ric's Book... Any ideeeers?

Btw Since I'm finished with that book if anyone wants to swap it for another just let me know. We can set up a PW Board book club haha

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

Great thread with loads of recommendations here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055408420

A Lions Tale is great. You should buy his next book, Undisputed. I preferred ALT but it's still a great read. Picks up from where ALT finishes.

Definitely recommend Brets book too, incredibly detailed, I loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Thanks man...

Mods can we merge this thread please? Didn't see the other one...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭DanVanDan

Is the william regal book getting the rave reviews here called "walking a golden mile??"

From what i recall it spends a lot of time dealing with his painkiller addiction; supposed to be a great slice of what it was like in british wrestling but overall a bit of a downer.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭DanVanDan

Pretty expensive for a book released in 2005 just under 15 pounds on amazon for the paperback... I got it as a pdf but il never read it unless it is in book form!

Anyway, A lions tale is excellent and am currently reading Undisputed, so far just as good, on chapter 11 at the moment, thinking of buying Brets book next

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah there's a fair amount devoted to his struggle with addictions allright but as tragic as the stories are they are written with a fair amount of humour,I really enjoyed reading about how he got started in the business as a young lad too,definitely one of the better wrestling books out there.Still have it on PDF somewhere,must give it another read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

@IAmJericho

"The contract is in the mail so its official...there's gonna be a third book! It'll be released via Penguin Publishing in 2013. GET READY!!"

Not really a surprise tbh,the way the book ends, gives plenty more for Jericho to talk about in WWE. Obviously going on DWTS was just a excuse to give him more things to write about:pac:

I quite enjoyed the wrestling parts of his latest book but i'm not looking forward to 20% wrestling 80% DWTS.... Also he only alludes to the interesting stuff (HHH/Chyna, HBK smacked out of it) ..... :( gonna be a tough sell to me. I've heard him talk many times about his "There Will Be Blood" character so...

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed the wrestling parts of his latest book but i'm not looking forward to 20% wrestling 80% DWTS.... Also he only alludes to the interesting stuff (HHH/Chyna, HBK smacked out of it) ..... :( gonna be a tough sell to me. I've heard him talk many times about his "There Will Be Blood" character so...

Don't forget, Undisputed finished up when
    Jericho returned to WWE during the whole SAVE_US.Y2J thing.

That means the new book will be covering from the
    latter part of 2007
    up to possibly now or later. Which means nearly 4 years of stuff to write about. DWTS was only like 6 months so it's hardly cover 80% of the book ;).
    It will probably be 40% WWE, 25% Fozzy, 10% DWTS, 25% life stories.

Advertisement