Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

it's hilarious that you spoiler tagged where the book ends but then said this new book will cover late 07 to present :pac:

I was exaggerating with percentages, but I don't think I'd pay to read a book whose content I'm only 40% interested in :(

I demand stories about Albino Farm and MacGruber!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

jaykhunter wrote: »
    it's hilarious that you spoiler tagged where the book ends but then said this new book will cover late 07 to present :pac:

Ahem....I was ........eh........testing you!!! :o

I fixed it now so there :p

LOL I'm not spoiler tagging mine......and u'll have to spoiler tag quoting me too!!! i love it :pac:

Just tweeted Jericho about Albino Farm. Ever wanted to see a Canadian wrestler cast in the role of Southern murder in a straight-to-DVD horror? Well now you can :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

If anyone lives near Lucan give me a pm and i will pass a load of wrestling books onto you. Gathering dust for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

What books?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Guerrero,Hart,Jericho,king,regal.....Think the rock and austins book are there too, couple of foleys too. If ye want them pm me. Will end up in the bin mate

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Has anyone read Brock's new book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

davrho wrote: »
    Guerrero,Hart,Jericho,king,regal.....Think the rock and austins book are there too, couple of foleys too. If ye want them pm me. Will end up in the bin mate

Why not sell them or donate them somewhere?

Why not sell them or donate them somewhere?

that's what he's kinda doing. better to a boardsie and wrestling fan than to an anonymous shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

jaykhunter wrote: »
    that's what he's kinda doing. better to a boardsie and wrestling fan than to an anonymous shop!

But if they are not all taken by Boardsies, they shouldn't get chucked in the bin either!

• Advertisement

But if they are not all taken by Boardsies, they shouldn't get chucked in the bin either!

oh definitely. Regal deserves better. If there's no takers then sure whack 'em up on Adverts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Gary Hart's book is back on sale:
    http://www.playboygaryhart.net/index.html

This is a must read. Probably my third favourite Wrestling bio behind the Bret Hart one and Foley 1st book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Question about foleys books, am I right in saying that thd consensus is: 1st book -great, 2nd book - great, 3rd book - sh!te, 4th book - meh! I've only read the first one and am thinkin about picking up the others! What's so bad about the 3rd one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Question about foleys books, am I right in saying that thd consensus is: 1st book -great, 2nd book - great, 3rd book - sh!te, 4th book - meh! I've only read the first one and am thinkin about picking up the others! What's so bad about the 3rd one?

Haven't read the 2nd one in years. Inherently it isnt as good as the first as it covers the next (interesting) 2/3 years of his life. So I would call it pretty good rather than great.

The third one was half wrestling and half outside wrestling. He it is built around him being annoyed at WWE for not letting Terry Funk bite instead of kiss Vince McMahon's ass leading into the second One Night Stand. An idea that Foley oddly thought was a game changer. The non Wrestling stuff is really boring and just Mick name dropping celebs. However there is one story about his son, Jesus and Santa which is one of his best chapters across all books. Also notable is the amount of perving of the divas he does especially Melina in the book. I think it is the worse of the three due its lack of perspective on the Funk angle, name dropping and weak chapters.

The fourth one I thought was pretty decent. Sad in a lot of ways as Foley's passion for wrestling has been distinguished by retirement, Vince yelling at him and just picking up a pay cheque in TNA & trying to find a place in the world. Let's face it no one really remembers his PPV with Sting - which the book is built around. The strongest parts of the book in contrast to the third one is the non-wrestling stuff especially his volunteer work for RAINN and child sponsership in Africa. Prior to reading it I kind grew tired of Foley but the book the made me re-appreciated him as a REALLY decent dude and also someone who still self aware.

His 3rd book is definitely the worst. Doesn't have the humour of the 1st 2 books and hes a moody git through out.

His 1st book is still my favourite wrestling autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Just finished Brocks book.

It's grand. Nothing special but not a bad book either. It's a very easy read. However I think it should have been called "Brock Lesnar: I Really, Really, Really Don't Like Frank Mir" because he reminds you all the ****ing time.

He doesn't speak alot of his time in WWE but I have to say everything he says about the no-compete situation is very interesting. His thoughts on how Vince works will make you think. Your on his side the whole time except when he talks about dropping the belt to Eddie, I was suprised at his thoughts over that. Oh and The Rock doesn't come across great either.

I'd wait until it comes out on paperback so you don't shell out 20 yoyos for it. Grand read, but not one I'll be rushing to read again.

***/*****

cool. I've only heard quite a negative review of the book - that he keeps moaning about having to do stuff, and how he met his wife. how much of the book is about the WWE? tbh it's all i care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah I read it a few weeks ago and it was ok,downloaded a pdf of it,wouldn't pay for it.Nothing spectacular,he seemed very disheartened with WWE in his final few months there,pain pills and vodka etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

bookcover.jpg

^ Seriously lads. Buy while you still can.

http://www.playboygaryhart.net/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Excure my ignorance, but who is he?

• Advertisement

He's the eldest of the Hart family.

:pac: actually he was a manager and backstage big wig for World Class (WCCW - with the Von Erichs). Heard nothing but glowing praise for his book.

gimmick wrote: »
    Excure my ignorance, but who is he?

Kind of surprised you don't know him gimmick. He was the star of the two WCCW/Von Erich documentaries.

He was an old time booker & manager most notably relaunching WCCW with a youth movement of the Von Erichs, Freebirds etc. He always wanted to push youth and unlike other old timers even up to his death he watched hours of wrestling including Dragon Gate. Gary Hart spent a lot of time in Texas and saw the effects drugs had on the Von Erichs, Gino Herendez and Chris Adams. He also worked all over America & Australia including a short WWF stint as well as managing The Great Kabuki and The Great Muta in WCW.

Lots of history in it that I wasn't aware of, he was known as one of the best minds in the business so there is a lot of stuff about wrestling psychology & booking. The book is huge page wise and the font is like 1 line spacing.

When it was out of print a copy of it without the cover went for $350 on ebay.

Also he was in the mob in Chicago as a youth, survived two plane crashes, explains how the NWA worked and problems many territories faced & why they failed. He also has his fair share of falling outs with wrestlers and promoters & wasn't afraid to use a switchblade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Need recommendations for next wrestling book to get. Finished both of Jericho's, and Bret's book. Thinking Dynamite Kid's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Regal's book is a cracking read!

glenjamin wrote: »
    Need recommendations for next wrestling book to get. Finished both of Jericho's, and Bret's book. Thinking Dynamite Kid's book.

Get Gary Hart's book as it is as epic (in every meaning of the word :pac:) as Brets book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone get his book yet. Only seen it in easons today. Is it any good.

Sorry. I just pressed enter before rereading it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

cena wrote: »
    Anyone get his yet. Only seen it in easons today. Is it any good.
    His what?

I heard overall it's ok. Not much for a wrestling fan, he doesn't have juicy gossip and mostly whines about having to do stuff and doing it for the money. tbh i love brock but it was enough to pass on it.

Bring on eggs-over-eem for new years! Here comes the pain!

• Advertisement

It is his wikipedia page rephrased. Total cash in.

Interesting stuff on his relationship with Rena/Sable (the propsol story is lolz) and the renegotiation with WWE to return. That's about it he gives little of himself overall.

Avoid.

Advertisement