Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

It's an alright read, Brock remembers NOTHING from his wrestling days though.

The book should have been called "Brock Lesnar: I Hate Frank Mir"

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

After reading the book I think its clear the dude wants nothing to do with pro wrestling. There's no way in hell he has forgotten - its just a case of he doesn't want to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I found it a fun read but it's not worth the price. I liked hearing his thoughts on guys like Rock and RVD but get a lend of it if you can or wait for it to come down in value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

No detail on any wrestling in it heres a synopsis flight to random town-match in random town-money-repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I picked up Rey Mysterio's book on Saturday, hoping there's a fair bit on Guererro, Benoit, and his WCW days.

Also picked up a book called 'Wrestling's 101 Strangest Matches'. Anyone have any good or bad comments about it?

Read William Regal's and Hulk Hogan's second book last month (most of it whilst relaxing on the Copacabana :cool:) and really enjoyed them both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Enjoyed Wrestling's 101 Strangest Matches.

Thought Hogan's books were both a heap of ****e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Charisteas wrote: »
    I picked up Rey Mysterio's book on Saturday, hoping there's a fair bit on Guererro, Benoit, and his WCW days.

Wait for his post WWE book

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Regal's book was excellent I thought,very honest in regards to his addiction problems etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Is Hogan's book in character. I imagine its full of so much tripe and utter bollocks that its in the fiction shelves in the book shop.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Is Hogan's book in character. I imagine its full of so much tripe and utter bollocks that its in the fiction shelves in the book shop.

It's not really a wrestling heavy book so not too much in character chapters, although he does write 'brother' a lot.

Talking about his second book here - 'My life outside the ring'.

He does still talk about wrestling a bit, but mostly about growing up, his family, life on the road away from his family, bad times with Linda, his affair, his divorce, John Graziano, Nick in jail. Also goes into his projects post WWE 2006 and obviously pre TNA as the book was wrote before he joined them. Talks about his faith and spiritual positive energy side.

Probably have to be a Hogan mark to enjoy this book though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 reynolsg87

I'm curious as to what Lesnar said about Rock in his book? I always thought they were on good terms, especially after that video of Rock hugging him after the Carwin fight.

Any other tidbits actually? I would try to read it but I was never really a Lesnar guy and he is NOT very articulate!

Thanks to anyone that responds.

Just finished Wrestling 101 Strangest Matches and highly recommend this one, it's a great fun read.

Now I'm going to undertake the mammoth task of trying to find most of these matches on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Read jerichos second book and didn't find it as froot as his first....don't get me wrongly or was enjoyable but I wasn't that interested in the fozzy parts and his partake about never losing to foley n shilling his other book became tedious after awhile

**Here are a list of some upcoming book releases for 2012:

*April 1st – ‘Hacksaw: The Jim Duggan Story’ with Scott Williams (Triumph Books)
    *June 1st – ‘Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling’ by Jonathan Snowden (ECW Press)
    *June 1st – ‘The King of New Orleans: How the Junkyard Dog Became Professional Wrestling’s First Black Super Hero’ by Greg Klein (ECW Press)
    *June 1st - ‘Physical Chess’ by Billy Robinson and Jake Shannon (ECW Press)
    *July 1st - ‘Legends of Pro Wrestling’ by Tim Hornbacker (Sports Publishing)

Source - Live Audio Wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I only just finished wrestlecrap - the very worst of professional wrestling. It's an older book that runs to about 2000. It's got all the funniest wrestling angles - Katie Vick, Sexual Chocolate & Mae Young. Very funny.

I just finished reading the second WWE road-stories book (Rumble Road), short read but quite fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

I read Animal from Road Warriors/LOD's book recently. It's a weird one, I enjoyed it but it wasn't very in depth. He spends a lot of time detailing notable matches which, especially with YouTube/DVDs being so readily available seems pointless and it was also pretty boring since they had such a limited move set.

There's a few interesting bits in it though, particularly how LOD, Rick Rude, Barbarian, Warlord and a few other guys from the late 80s all worked as bouncers in the same area and were all trained by the same guy at the same time. I'd recommend it if you can pick it up on the cheap but it's nowhere near the quality of Foley/Jericho/Hart in my opinion.

I picked up Lesnar's book today, looks like a short read at 200 pages and large font though I will probably only read the Pro Wrestling chapters anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I am going on a rather long (well, 2 weeks) holiday in June and need some reading.

Need a few recommends of a few books. Preferably non WWE endorsed in the vein of Pure Dynamite, or Roddy Pipers book.

Cheers.

My old top ten list that needs updating after the release of Jericho's second and the Gary Hart book:
    rovert wrote: »
    Bret Hart “Hitman”
    Mick Foley “Have a Nice Day”
    Pain & Passion: The History of Stampede Wrestling by Heath McCoy
    Pure Dynamite
    Death of WCW by Bryan Alverez & R.D. Reynolds
    Chris Jericho: a Lions Tale
    William Regal: Walking A Golden Mile
    Ric Flair To Be The Man
    Wrestling at the Chase by Sam Muchnick
    The Wrestling by Simon Garfield

• Advertisement

Ya, am looking for the Gary Hart one, but cannot find it for less that $50.

Regals one seems rather expensive on Amazon as well.

Cheers for those, Im sure a few are on ebay or something.

I can see the problems with both Hart's as it is self published and Regal's was only released in Europe to the best of my knowledge. Both ARE worth it tho.

Do you have an ebook or tablet or such like?

Nah, neither. Regals one is on Play.com for €18 so ill pick that up alright.

So is The History Of Stampede.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

gimmick wrote: »

I have Regal's book, hardback, a mate is reading it at the minute, but it anyone wants to make me an offer or swap on it for another wrestling book. Mod can remove if this isn't allowed.

gimmick wrote: »

No spoiler but do you know what happened when Regal had his first interview/meeting with Vince McMahon? Rock bottom stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Still trying to get myself a copy of it. Ever since I watched the Vince McMahon DVD and it had the clip of Regal explaining why he will always support Vince. Powerful stuff.

Still trying to get myself a copy of it. Ever since I watched the Vince McMahon DVD and it had the clip of Regal explaining why he will always support Vince. Powerful stuff.

I dont know how many people here follow him on Twitter or watch NXT but he gets very down on himself for being a screw up. Very easily trolled sadly as he carries a lot of (needless) guilt even 10 or so years on.

Regal's was only released in Europe to the best of my knowledge.

That's odd because my Regal book has a US, Canada, and UK price on the barcode so they must have at least had some plans to release it in the US at some stage, what made them change their mind?

Didn't know the Regal book was still fetching a decent sum, will try and sell my copy as i'm not one for reading the same book twice.

How rare are the HHH and JBL books? I never see them being sold on the second hand market either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

These are great lads, got some hols in May coming up so this list will come in handy.

• Advertisement

No spoiler but do you know what happened when Regal had his first interview/meeting with Vince McMahon? Rock bottom stuff.

Nope.

Advertisement