Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Triple H, Vince and Kevin Dunn don't come out of it looking great either.

what was he saying about them?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    what was he saying about them?

HHH just didn't like him it seems so would constantly talk down to him and stuff. Said there was a lot of gay jokes from HHH when he joined first.

Vince would give him an awful time on his headset (The timekeepers headset would be passed over to him) because he used words ring announcing that Vince had banned but he didn't actually tell anyone that he had banned them so it wasn't Robert's fault. For a time "his opponent" was banned for example. Vince would change his mind on this stuff weekly but wouldn't tell anyone.

It just sounds like they treated him like **** cause he was just the ring announcer. If he ever went up to Dunn to ask him a question, Dunn would say things like "everybody stop what they're doing the ring announcer has a question".

The JBL stuff was just flat out bullying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Vince would change his mind on this stuff weekly but wouldn't tell anyone.

This is quintessential Vince! :P

jaykhunter wrote: »
    This is quintessential Vince! :P

One of the funniest stories in the book for me was Vince calling everyone at TV to a meeting. Ring crew, camera men, announcers, wrestlers. Everyone was called to the meeting so they thought Vince was pissed about something or something big was happening

Turns out he wanted to show everyone a video of Undertaker and Kane coming out to Johnny Nitro and Melina's entrance in a WWE game and Vince thought the video was the funniest thing ever. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've just finished Chris Jericho's 4th book if anyone would like me to send it to them? It's done in a self help style but it's great craic and has good stories. It's broken up into 20 short chapters and is an easy read. Gimme a shout if ya want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've just finished Chris Jericho's 4th book if anyone would like me to send it to them? It's done in a self help style but it's great craic and has good stories. It's broken up into 20 short chapters and is an easy read. Gimme a shout if ya want it.
    I've two of his four books(2nd and third) and I was going to ask anyone here who read it did it carry on from the end of the third book.

It's done in a totally different style to the others. It's done in 20 points and they all tie in with different stories, not necessarily chronological It comes right up to date more or less though, with Chris and Kevin Owens as a tandem. Send me your home or work address via PM and i'll send it to you if ya like.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ive read his first two books and loved both, havent gotten round to the third and 4th books yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I really enjoying Justin Roberts book so far.

He is a great inspiration to follow your dream job no matter how niche it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Any decent books released in the last few years?

• Advertisement

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Any decent books released in the last few years?

Did you read Hardcore Holly's?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Omackeral wrote: »
    Did you read Hardcore Holly's?

No, wouldn't be a big fan of his but heard good reports about it. Decent?

eh i dunno wrote: »
    No, wouldn't be a big fan of his but heard good reports about it. Decent?

When you take into account he was there throughout the New Generation, Attitude Era, Ruthless Aggression and even the start of the PG Era you realise he was around for a lot of stuff. Montreal, people jumping ship, Monday Night Wars, Brand Splits, Invasion, Benoit to name a few.

I like the book. He's a good no nonsense story teller but not a dry shyte either. He's not Foley or Jericho but who is? I'd recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I got Slobberknocker there for free on Audible (signed up for a month's free trial), and JR reads it himself. At 10hrs and some change, it's pretty lengthy. Doesn't cover an awful lot of his WWE tenture, but goes into his Bill Watts tenure quiet a bit.

Strangely, Jim rarely mentions his family life in the book, any outside interests or anything along those lines. There are no grand revelations or even anecdotes about the inside workings of the business.

Nonetheless, it's pretty enjoyable.

I was given a kindle and signed up for the free month trial of kindle unlimited on Amazon.

A few wrestling titles are on there

NITRO: The Incredible Rise and Inevitable Collapse of Ted Turner's WCW

Crazy Like A Fox: The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later

Kayfabe: Stories You're Not Supposed to Hear from a Pro Wrestling Production Company Owner (the guy that does the YouShoot series)

The Wrestling Observer Yearbook '97: The Last Time WWF Was Number Two

The Wrestling Observer Yearbook '93: The Year of Major Beginnings and Major Endings

I'll definitely read Nitro and the Pillman book

I was given a kindle and signed up for the free month trial of kindle unlimited on Amazon.

A few wrestling titles are on there

NITRO: The Incredible Rise and Inevitable Collapse of Ted Turner's WCW

Crazy Like A Fox: The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later

Kayfabe: Stories You're Not Supposed to Hear from a Pro Wrestling Production Company Owner (the guy that does the YouShoot series)

The Wrestling Observer Yearbook '97: The Last Time WWF Was Number Two

The Wrestling Observer Yearbook '93: The Year of Major Beginnings and Major Endings

I'll definitely read Nitro and the Pillman book

I just got Auidble, and while there some good books to listen to like D Bryans book, I cant get enough of the Alan Partridge autobiography. Yes, ist not wrestling related but its just amazingly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Funny you resurrected this one Beakerjoe, my Bret Hart book just arrived and I am excited.

Funny you resurrected this one Beakerjoe, my Bret Hart book just arrived and I am excited.

Which one? Recent read his autobiography.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Which one? Recent read his autobiography.

This is the Hitman autobiography. I also recently got the Bucks autobiography. Unfortunately with cafes closed, my main reading spot, it might take me a while to get through both, but I'm looking forward to them.

Also as an aside, I ordered it, and a sporting item, on Amazon on Monday evening and the they arrived afternoon time today. That's absolute insanity to me.

This is the Hitman autobiography. I also recently got the Bucks autobiography. Unfortunately with cafes closed, my main reading spot, it might take me a while to get through both, but I'm looking forward to them.

Also as an aside, I ordered it, and a sporting item, on Amazon on Monday evening and the they arrived afternoon time today. That's absolute insanity to me.

I wont spoil Brets book, look forward to discussing it with you. Great insight into his pre WWE days, his family life and his marriage.

Halfway through Jerichos third book.

Did you order direct from Amazon or a seller? Where was it shipped from? Thats speed.

I order mine for the Book Depository, usually 3 days which is great. Most recently got the misses the Bella's book..... man its thin.

• Advertisement

I wont spoil Brets book, look forward to discussing it with you. Great insight into his pre WWE days, his family life and his marriage.

Halfway through Jerichos third book.

Did you order direct from Amazon or a seller? Where was it shipped from? Thats speed.

I order mine for the Book Depository, usually 3 days which is great. Most recently got the misses the Bella's book..... man its thin.

As soon as I'm finished with it (keep in mind that might be a few months because of circumstances) I'll throw up a message on this thread!

I've read the first 2 Jericho books and enjoyed them a lot, his charisma really comes through the pages in the same way that Foley's did in his books.

I actually ordered it directly from Amazon.co.uk and figured with Brexit it'd take a while longer to get here. Originally the arrival date was for like March 3rd, which would have been grand, but to get it here in less than 2 days was pretty crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

prepare to listen to how many women he has sagged again and again
    I actually couldn't finish it

I enjoyed his first 2, brings me back to the era of reading Powerslam reading about his Smokey Mountain run and his WAR stint.

Hes an easy read, his writing is clever and doesnt mind being the butt of the jokes. (Hes tells a funny anecdote about his friend getting a gig with Brad Pitt for example). Really enjoyed them.

Have considered getting Tom Billingtons book after reading Brets, though I fear its a misery driven affair.

I shall pick up The Bucks soon myself.

smilerf wrote: »
    prepare to listen to how many women he has sagged again and again
    I actually couldn't finish it

I'm completely up for hyper-sex drive Bret Hart, this wont be an issue for me.

I'm completely up for hyper-sex drive Bret Hart, this wont be an issue for me.

Its not that bad (I think), I think you'll enjoy it if your a big fan of Bret. Who isnt.

I enjoyed his first 2, brings me back to the era of reading Powerslam reading about his Smokey Mountain run and his WAR stint.

Hes an easy read, his writing is clever and doesnt mind being the butt of the jokes. (Hes tells a funny anecdote about his friend getting a gig with Brad Pitt for example). Really enjoyed them.

Have considered getting Tom Billingtons book after reading Brets, though I fear its a misery driven affair.

I shall pick up The Bucks soon myself.

Billington's book I'm sure would have interesting insight into that era of wrestling, particularly in Japan and how a guy his size was viewed in America, but it's the reading of it from Billington's viewpoint that I just don't think I could handle given what we know he's become.

The Bucks book should be good, got it over Christmas, but again haven't been able to read it yet. I'm sure the wrestling section should be a real fun read because of the variety of places they've worked, the interesting time in which they were on the indie scene (the 2nd indie boom), their NJPW run and what led to the formation of AEW. The God stuff I could do without but it's an autobiography, that's a big part of who they are so you kinda have to accept it.

Its not that bad (I think), I think you'll enjoy it if your a big fan of Bret. Who isnt.

Oh I'm a big Bret mark so ye that kinda stuff shouldn't be an issue. And if anyone isn't a Bret fan I will shun them from the board!

Oh I'm a big Bret mark so ye that kinda stuff shouldn't be an issue. And if anyone isn't a Bret fan I will shun them from the board!

You'll enjoy it.

Some see Bret as a bitter old crank (which may be true) but he was just so good in the ring that I dont think he is tooting his own horn enough when stating "Im so good I deserve both parachutes". (Paraphrasing obviously).

He very much was 2 parachutes good.

You'll enjoy it.

Some see Bret as a bitter old crank (which may be true) but he was just so good in the ring that I dont think he is tooting his own horn enough when stating "Im so good I deserve both parachutes". (Paraphrasing obviously).

He very much was 2 parachutes good.

True and in a general sense I always feel he did right by the business, he was very generous to a lot of wrestlers and gave a lot of guys their greatest ever match, and his run on top (even with external factors being the cause) was ground breaking in that company of giants. On top of that I've always found him to be a compelling speaker, whether I always agree with his opinions or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I still say Bob holly's book is one of the best. I reread it all the time. He may be overly blunt on his feelings towards some of his peers but I suppose you have to kind of respect his honesty. I liked Jericho’s second book more than his third but still good. Brets book is of course a good book which doesn’t pull many punches.

Advertisement