Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect to MySQL (error 10061)

Options
  • 29-10-2008 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So i've just started off on a rails project i'm creating through Aptana.
    Anyway when I go to start the client from the cmd console i get the following error
    can't connect to MySql server on 'localhost' 10061

i've googled it and there seems to be alot of results, but so many its hard to even look through. Has anybody come across this before with SQL?

Lookin at a few of the google results it seems to be something to do with firewall software...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

10061 is Connection Refused.

Is Mysql running?
    Is it running on port 3306?
    Is your windows firewall blocking it by any chance?
    Can you telnet to localhost 3306 and get a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

lynchie wrote: »
    10061 is Connection Refused.

Is Mysql running?
    Is it running on port 3306?
    Is your windows firewall blocking it by any chance?
    Can you telnet to localhost 3306 and get a response?

Yes MySql is defo running.

Hmm it doesn't tell me what port its running on in Aptana, how do I find this out?

Nah windows firewall isn't blocking it as it wasn't even on when I was trying it.

How do I telnet to localhost 3306?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Yes MySql is defo running.

Hmm it doesn't tell me what port its running on in Aptana, how do I find this out?
    Find where mysql is installed, look for a my.ini file. Check its contents under the client section for the line port=xxxx . Default is 3306 unless changed.
    How do I telnet to localhost 3306?

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
    type "telnet localhost 3306" and see if it connects.. if it does, then mysql is running on port 3306.

Alternatively running "netstat -b -a" will show a list of what programs are using what ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

When I try and do a telnet it says ...

'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

??

Hmm....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Cany you access the Console of My SQL Administrator from the program files menu?

• Advertisement
Advertisement