Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler Valve gone - 450 quid!!!!!

• 29-10-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,

Got someone out to look at my gas boiler that isn't working correctly. The boiler is a Glow Worm Space Saver K.F.B. 50. He told me the gas boiler valve was knackered and was going to charge 450 to replace. He said the part was 300 quid and he would charge 150 euro to install. I already paid him 80 euro to come out to the house.

Note I was not in the house when he had a look at it.

Is this a rip off or a reasonable price to pay?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

if this helps

im in the same boat

heating is fooked have to get a plumber out myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

Hi,

Got someone out to look at my gas boiler that isn't working correctly. The boiler is a Glow Worm Space Saver K.F.B. 50. He told me the gas boiler valve was knackered and was going to charge 450 to replace. He said the part was 300 quid and he would charge 150 euro to install. I already paid him 80 euro to come out to the house.

Note I was not in the house when he had a look at it.

Is this a rip off or a reasonable price to pay?

thanks.

my own one was not working and i took it out myself and found it was blocked with carbon build up ,easy fix and back in -usually caused by boiler not being serviced -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

knighted_1 wrote: »
    my own one was not working and i took it out myself and found it was blocked with carbon build up ,easy fix and back in -usually caused by boiler not being serviced -

The seals on gas valves aren't resealable. Once you take it off ,a new valve has to be put on.

OP, It sounds strange that the guy was keeping the 80 euro and charging you another 150 aswell. It's normally catagorized as one call out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

knighted_1 wrote: »

Playing around with gas boilers is a dangerous game
    It’s ok to take a chance with most tings; but when you are dealing with gas; you don’t want to be wrong; especially dead wrong;
    If you have to interfere with either the pipe work; around a gas boiler; or break the seal around the combustion chamber; then you really need to know what you are doing
    Knited_1 was it the pilot blocked ? as it unlikely you would get the gas valve blocked

I find it mental that a person will tinker with something that can blow the roof off the house.

I wouldn't charge that and I'm a boiler technician, Most engineers would charge you for part + time taken, so if he had the part on him i would say the price is a bit rich. Gary

• Advertisement

Very unlikely he had the part on him but still extra 80 after the first wouldn’t have been to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭f1_jb

I would have to say that at 450 it's just about right.

Lets face it if the guy has a business to run and has his van + insurance and everything he needs in place then you can't expect him to do the work for nothing. I would doubt if he would clear €200 from your job when everything is taken into account.

I for a time worked for myself and I wish I had not felt sorry for people when pricing jobs, you live and learn.

You meat 450 total or 450 on top of the 80

• Registered Users Posts: 7 polo99

hey anyone know why my ideal mini s24 is not lighting, its just not sparking the pump and fan are running.. just locks out with a red light

Advertisement