Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rollout of broadband scheme delayed (NBS)

Options
  • 29-10-2008 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭

:mad:
    The rollout of improved broadband across the country is to be delayed for a year.

In the Dáil today, Communications Minister Eamon Ryan said the National Broadband Scheme is taking longer than he would have liked.

He added that it is now hoped the scheme will be in place by mid 2010. The original deadline was for the end of 2009.

He was responding to a question from Fine Gael's Simon Coveney, who asked was it now a reasonable assumption that project would not be in place until the end of 2010.
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/1029/broadband.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

sound

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Is this broadband for rural parts of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

IIRC ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The scheme was set up to deliver broadband into areas where the market has failed to provide such services.

Looks like it :(

• Advertisement

This is just f**king ridiculous. Wouldn't expect anything more from that shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, there are more important things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

unfortunately times are tight and in the current climate there are more important things that need cash, but i will say in times of recession the government should be spending on infrastructure when it is cheaper to do and also will increase public spending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Geology

I can't say I'm surprised but it is disappointing. I didn't have high hopes for the end result anyway. The fact that they're including mobile internet in the figures is alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Well, if it's anything like the recent upgrades then I can wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I got broadband back in about 2001 (iirc). How in the **** is it taking them almost a decade to get full coverage in our small country? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Looks like it :(

It isn't because there are parts of Dublin that can't get broadband either and plenty of towns and villages around the country too.
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, there are more important things

I seem to recall you arguing with Spongebob (I think it was) that rural people didn't deserve broadband.

You lost that argument spectacularly as I recall.

FF have had 10 years to do this (more actually) and it isn't an expense. It is an investment that will pay itself off very quickly for an infastructure project IMO. Definitely worth doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

imo they are trying to set up a broadband network like the cable tv network and contract the rural and hard to reach areas but no company is going to want these areas as there are not enough customers in these areas to warrent the outlay on infrastructure like cables masts etc.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    imo they are trying to set up a broadband network like the cable tv network and contract the rural and hard to reach areas but no company is going to want these areas as there are not enough customers in these areas to warrent the outlay on infrastructure like cables masts etc.

They'll most likely use wireless to serve these areas.

Satellite shouldn't be allowed at all since its crap for VOIP and gaming and other things that require a reasonable response time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It will be 90% Wireless and 10% Satellite or more, though the offical limit is 8% satellite. I don't see how they can enforce the Satellite Limit. Refuse service in the NBS area as it's not possible to put a wireless base and the 8% is exceeded?

By definition if DSL or Cable was possible (or existing decent Fixed Wireless), the area would be excluded from NBS.

Will they exclude areas with HSDPA coverage next? Is that really why it is getting delayed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Magzr

Does it not dawn on anyone that the NBS is effectively "state aid".
    What would the EU think of this?
    One only has to look at what they made Ryanair do at Charleroi?

So lets say Eircom "gets it". A couple of hundred million to do as they please with it? (and let us not kid ourselves here that who ever gets it would have to held accountable for how they spend it)
    What do you think the likes of ntl, BT, IBB and the likes are going to do?

I will tell ya what, get the 1st plane to Brussels.

The NBS will never happen.

Magzr wrote: »

So lets say Eircom "gets it". A couple of hundred million to do as they please with it? (and let us not kid ourselves here that who ever gets it would have to held accountable for how they spend it)

It isn't state aid to help them compete with other networks. It is state aid to serve areas where companies won't develop their network.

I don't imagine the EU will have a problem with it. If they have another suggestion instead of the NBS, we are all ears :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Magzr wrote: »

It's been cleared already by the EU.

Personally I don't think it will ever happen either but for different reasons.

Advertisement