Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is full HD Really worth it?

• 29-10-2008 4:47pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to get a new TV. It's just for the bedroom, so I'm going to get a 32" - probably something like this Samsung.

Some people are saying I'm mad for not getting a Full HD 1080p TV. Personally I can't see the point. I do not have any blue ray players, I do not have Sky HD, and I'll mostly be watching movie downloaded in .avi format, and some DVD's etc.

Is there really that much of a difference between 720p and 1080p? Is it worth paying extra? By the time 1080p becomes widespread for broadcasting etc, tv's will be so cheap I'll go buy a better one then.

I also heard that its not really worth it on a 32" - the difference on 42"+ is much more obvious...

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

By the sound of your set up, I would say it would be a complete waste of money (and time) to get the full HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You're not watching anything in HD, so no it's not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You wouldn't notice the benefits of 1080p until at least on a 50" TV - 720p/1080i up to that is just fine, and as you say you don't even watch or have HD programs, why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

OP, if you'll be watching standard definition content, such as normal TV and DVD, then a HD Ready, 1366x768p, TV will be sufficient and often even better than the 1080p models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

how about 100 Hz is this really needed ive been told its required for watching soccer matches or fast moving action. i seen a tv in the pub displaying setanta, premiership and the quality was just shocking...maybe it was a plasma??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

how about 100 Hz is this really needed ive been told its required for watching soccer matches or fast moving action. i seen a tv in the pub displaying setanta, premiership and the quality was just shocking...maybe it was a plasma??

I doubt it was a plasma as they handle motion a lot better than LCDs generally.

100hz is a nice feature to have, but isn't entirely necessary all of the time. The Sony W4000 range, for example, don't have 100hz, but handle sports like football etc well. 100hz is a good feature, and is of benefit when set to low, but anything higher can introduce visual distortions.

Advertisement