Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power Management Software for a Windows Domain

• 29-10-2008 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

In our new savings-conscious enviornment, I'm looking for free (or as close to free as possible :)) that would allow me to set all PC's to shutdown at a specific time each evening. Ideally something that can be manged from a server.

Must support Windows 2003 and XP Pro (ideally also 2008 / Vista)

Any suggestions? Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Create a text file containing all IP addresses of the PCs. You can export this from DHCP if you use it. Or better still create it in Excel with all IPs in the PC scope.

Then a simple scheduled batch file on the server.
    FOR /F %%t in (%0\..\ips.txt) DO shutdown -f -s %%t

with the batch file and ips.txt in the same folder.

oh and you'll need the shutdown.exe file - it's in the Windows Resource Kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That would work alright for a small setup.

If you need something for larger setups, you could add something to the logon script which copied over the required commands and then created a scheduled task which forces a shutdown. This is more scalable because new machines will automatically be setup. Which is the kind of setup I like.

There is one major hurdle I can see with my approach - if you have laptop users, it might force a shutdown when they're working outside of the office. This could be offset by adding a clause to the shutdown script which checks to see if the machine is attached to the company's subnet. If not, no shutdown.

I prefer the central approach personally. Users could potentially disable the scheduled job or delete the script. If it's done from the server users can't meddle with it. And it would work fine for a larger set up too. I've used something similar on an adhoc basis for >400 machines - e.g. power maintenance being done in work so we shut down all pcs remotely. Any large set up would be using DHCP with a defined PC scope separate to a server scope so you could a) have all IPs in the scope in a text file or b)script an export from DHCP to a text file of all active leases.

In an AD organisation I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to write a custom GPO that will shut down all PCs at a certain time too - this way you could even exclude mission critical ones - e.g. Server admin pcs that need to be left on for remote access etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Or just set power saving so pc's go to standby / hibernate after x minutes of inactivity. Will also save power during the day when people are away from their desks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement