Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mechanics Help Please

Options
  • 29-10-2008 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I own a 99 vw golf diesel. every morning when its wet or damp wen i start the car the fan belt is very noisy for the first ten minutes. Then noise stops. It only happens in damp weather. I went to garage a week ago they changed the fan belt but its still noisy wen started.
    Can anyone give me some advice please.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bring it back to the garage who changed the fanbelt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Cant i got it done by friend on a saturday. Wat would be causing the screechibg noise??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The new belt may be a bit loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Anan1 wrote: »
    The new belt may be a bit loose.

+1. Normal with a slightly slack belt and easy to fix (ten minute job). New belts do sometimes slacken off a bit in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Its an automatic tenchener AFAIK, so you can't tighten it up. Could it be a pulley perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Plug wrote: »
    Its an automatic tenchener AFAIK, so you can't tighten it up. Could it be a pulley perhaps?

Might be but unlikely I'd have thought. The fault is a common one with manual tensioning, as the pulleys are damp when first starting and the damp causes the belt to slip. The slipping generates heat and friction that dries out the pulley and the noise stops. So, the symptoms are that the noise started to occur on cold damp mornings. The fan belt was changed with no effect. Therefore it's not the belt that's at fault, and there's not much that can go wrong with a pulley. If the system has automatic tensioning, I'd look at the tensioner to see if it is positioned correctly and if the spring is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Have the garage remove the new belt. Then spray the pulleys with brake cleaner. This will remove the deposits from the pulley grooves built up over the years. Do not spray silicone or belt dressing on the belt to cure the noise,as it will make it worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks you seem to know your stuff. Would it be possible to spray with brake cleaner without removing belt. I could do it myself then? Wat kind of brake cleaner. Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement