Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much does a baby cost in the first year!

• 29-10-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Apologies if this has been done already but we were trying to work out the average cost of having a baby for the first year.. Any ideas??:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Lots!

We wrote a list of some of the things we are going to need before the baby even arrives such as a cot and a pram etc... Its already going to cost us around 2000 Euro and the list isn't anywhere near finished. We're not going mad buying really expensive stuff either.

I guess its something that you just try not to think about cos you know it'll be worth it in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Mine came free with a night of sweet loving...

Seriously, though.. You can go wild, or you can economise. There's things you can't avoid and will definitey need, like a cot, mattress, sheets, blankets etc. You need a car seat to get the child home from the hospital. You'll probably be given more clothes than you can imagine, but rarely practical stuff, so you need vests, babygros, all the sensible, no fun stuff. Again, you can get those fairly cheaply in tesco or penneys, or you can go mad and buy all expensive stuff. You need bottles and formula if you're going to bottle feed. You need some variety of pushchair. You can always use hand-me-downs or buy some things second hand. As for ongoing expenses after the initial stuff, nappies, wipes (or cotton wool and water), formula if used, baby food, doctor visits and medicines if needed, creche, clothes (they grow up so fast!)..

Again, though, no matter how much it costs, it's sooo worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Nappies were a huge expense for me. My son went through 30 a day! He is now down to 15. [Before anyone asks...yes I took him to the pediatric urologist to see if anything was wrong. And no there wasn't]

Also post partum maternity bras were pricey having to buy different sizes for breasts going up and down in size.

Laundry expenses go up considerably as you not only have to change babs clothes but your own for all the mess s/he will make on you. Count on being pissed on, spat up on for the first few months, and then when you start weening, the high chair becomes like a messy arts class where both you and the table are canvases upon which he can do his Jackson Pollocks.

Then there are unexpected expenses like if you need to rent a breast pump.

I am a single parent so had to carry a lot of the stuff home myself heavily pregnant and after a c section and taxi fares also became an expense.

People told me before hand that other people would give me stuff, but they didn't. I got a couple of babygrows and a cardigan from his other grandmother. But everything else came from me.

Playgroups also charge a nominal fee.

Formula adds up.

Advertisement