Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ftting skirting yourself?

Options
  • 29-10-2008 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

i will have a bit more time ion my hands as im now on a three day week and im hoping to do as much as i can myself in our new build, so i was thinking of fitting all the architrive 7 skirting etc. myself.

i dont think it will be too hard a job, i can get an electric mitre saw & table saw (dont know if i need that) so it should be fairly straight forward......i think!

i just dont want to make a complete hash of it, but im fairly handy at these things but maybe i should leave it to the pros??

basically is it too big a job for a fairly amature diy man, are there any akward areas i should know about & waht tools do i need?

thanks.........................

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

sandt wrote: »
    i will have a bit more time ion my hands as im now on a three day week and im hoping to do as much as i can myself in our new build, so i was thinking of fitting all the architrive 7 skirting etc. myself.

i dont think it will be too hard a job, i can get an electric mitre saw & table saw (dont know if i need that) so it should be fairly straight forward......i think!

i just dont want to make a complete hash of it, but im fairly handy at these things but maybe i should leave it to the pros??

basically is it too big a job for a fairly amature diy man, are there any akward areas i should know about & waht tools do i need?

thanks.........................

It is not as easy as ya might think. I carpenter will only mitre external corners and scribe the internal joints.

PM me if ya want a price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Payton

I done my own about 4 yrs ago, I got some varying quotes, buy some cheap 2x1 lengths and cut them to what you might think are the angles that you require before useing expensive arcitrave, Mine worked out perfect and the boss was happy aswell :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I made the mistake of trying to mitre the inside joints before - never again.

Use pre-finished MDF as well - the cheap red deal stuff will shrink and warp itself off the walls 6 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

For the internal corners cut one squire cut the other at 45 degree with the mitre saw then cut out the angled part of the cut and there’s your scribe

Advertisement