Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limping kitten

Options
  • 29-10-2008 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Hey folks i did a search and couldnt find anything on here close to this. Basically the last few days my little kitty has been off like not herself not eating and drinking as much (she is a scoffer :) )

Anyway i looked around and she does have some of the symptoms of Upper respiratory infection and i was wondering if anyone here has any experience of this? I can only bring her to the vet on friday due to money problem (though i am honestly considering walking to the vet and back with her to save the taxi money but i dont think i have enough to cover everythin) is this bad? I am worried sick about her and she looks so down its breakin my heart. I have looked at a few links to do with it and it seems like it isnt like life threatening or anything.

Has anyone else gone through this and how did it turn out? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I'd borrow, beg and steal to get her to the vet. You could ask the vet to send you an invoice perhaps so you could pay at a later time? I don't think they're going to turn you away, especially if they know you. Could a mate give you a lift perhaps?

With her being so little, she could go downhill very quickly. Try get her to drink as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

5 of my 7 cats have had "Feline Upper Respiratory Infections" (though this a catch all term for several different viral infections with similar symptoms).

Mao and Lily had the worst cases - Mao lost her left eye to it and Lily lost both of her eyes. While Mao and Lily's cases were extreme (they were both neglected and didn't receive treatment until they made it to rescue/foster care) I have heard of quite a few cases where kittens went from first signs to full on gloopy eyes within days recently.

Honestly I'd not delay getting a kitten to the vet with symptoms of this as kittens go downhill so very quickly and, depending on what's causing it, can have some really nasty secondary infections/ symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

hadook wrote: »
    Mao and Lily had the worst cases - Mao lost her left eye to it and Lily lost both of her eyes.

I read this as i was going out the door to take her to the vets (talk about puttin the frighteners on me :) (i decided fúck it i can do without food she cant do without her health like)

Vet gave her two injections said her leg was at her but it wasnt the respiratory thing thank god. Her temp was up and he gave me tablets to crush and give her and said if there was no improvement by friday mornin she would have to go in for the day and get knocked out and x-rays and blood work done

I only noticed somethin, i am limpin on my left leg and she is on her (back) right leg, pair of lepers or what! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Good on you, GAAman, for getting her to the vet. It's the best thing you could do for her. Here's hoping she'll come good.

As the others have said, keep her hydrated. Cats are little feckers for not drinking enough water. They internalise their pain and discomfort a lot of the time, and I've watched a thirsty cat sit on a cushion two feet from a water bowl and just not move to get a drink because he felt crap.

If she's not drinking enough, try dribbling a bit of water into her mouth, but don't do anything that will cause her to choke or cough.

Good on you, GAAman, for getting her to the vet. It's the best thing you could do for her. Here's hoping she'll come good.

As the others have said, keep her hydrated. Cats are little feckers for not drinking enough water. They internalise their pain and discomfort a lot of the time, and I've watched a thirsty cat sit on a cushion two feet from a water bowl and just not move to get a drink because he felt crap.

If she's not drinking enough, try dribbling a bit of water into her mouth, but don't do anything that will cause her to choke or cough.

Cheers, funnily enough she drank and ate shortly after we got home and i just went down to check on her and she was drinkin away then got another munch so things might be lookin up please god. She does seem a bit perkier the vet gave me tablets will start her on them tomorrow with a treat of paté (bloody cat gets better fed then i do!!! :p )

• Advertisement

Really glad to hear that she's perking up :) Sorry to hear that she's putting you on a diet lol.

Sorry for scaring you earlier, that was not my intention. Mao & Lily are both worst case scenarios (though Mao is currently chasing a ball in the kitchen and Lily (no eyes!) is hunting gerbils through the bars of their cage :rolleyes: ) and I was just hoping to illustrate that leaving a poorly kitten can result in terrible consequences, not that yours was going to end up like them!

You do know that it's against the rules to not post a picture for us now, don't you? :D :P

You do know that it's against the rules to not post a picture for us now, don't you? :D :P

Yeah yeah i know :)

Is it just me or does this pic look semi-religious?

Savinyoursoul.jpg

Whatsthatshinything.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

That is all.

Oh the cutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catnap

there really is no other option than to take kitty to the vet, this could be the symptoms of several different illnesses, some of which prove fatal.maybe if you vet is understanding of your money difficulties you could agree to pat the vets fee in installments?

• Advertisement

catnap wrote: »
    there really is no other option than to take kitty to the vet, this could be the symptoms of several different illnesses, some of which prove fatal.maybe if you vet is understanding of your money difficulties you could agree to pat the vets fee in installments?

She's already been to see a vet :)

GAAman - she's a dote. :o

Well she is back to being off and limpin alot so i made an appointment she is goin in on tuesday for the full day gettin knocked out and all, scared isnt the word.

Did any of you lads have to get your cats/kittens to take tablets? If so how? I crushed up one and put it in a load of pate but she barely took two bites of the stuff, tried to get her to eat one (broken up of course) outta my hand but no deal

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

she's a little cutie, sorry to hear she's not well. I find the only way to get the tablets into them is to pop it in their mouth and gently hold it closed while stroking their neck to stimulate them to swallow. make sure they've fully swallowed as they can be devious little things and hold it till you let them go. I usually give her a little bit of chicken afterwards so she doesn't completely hate me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Fool proof way of getting tablets into cats.
    Get on the ground on your hunkers, grab them & put their bum between your legs securing them. Hold their head with one hand & open their mouth with the other, (pill in this hand) & put pill at the back of their throat. Close mouth & rub their nose. Can be done in less than a second. Kiss on the head & away they go not even knowing what has happened.

Thanks to you both, i didnt wanna go down the route of forcin her but i had no choice it was a bit of a struggle but then she swallowed it and even gave me a kiss after it (yeah i taught her how to give kisses :D ) so all is well between us.

Just have to wait until tuesday to try get her sorted, is breakin me heart though :(

Bit of an update

She went in this mornin and i had to starve her from 6 yesterday and that alone was heartbreakin but havin to leave her in this mornin and stuff was crap. But i got a phone call there to say she had xrays and nothin is broken so thats a plus, she gettin blood work done tomorrow mornin and hopefully i will have her home by the afternoon

:(

I've been thinking of her - glad to see an update. :)

She'll be back home with you soon and hopefully you'll have an answer as to why she's limping.

I've been thinking of her - glad to see an update. :)

She'll be back home with you soon and hopefully you'll have an answer as to why she's limping.

We just back in the door from the vets, she was delighted to see me and was all over me :)

The doc said it was her lymph node that was the problem but it was going away and her limp has progressively gotten better x ray showed no bones broken and they gave me tablets *goes and digs them out* "Ketofen" ( Anti inflammatory) 1 tab a day and "Marboxyl" ( Anti biotic) 1 1/2 tab a day.

Im so happy to have her back :D

GAAman wrote: »
    We just back in the door from the vets, she was delighted to see me and was all over me :)

That's a little forward of your vet! :D

But seriously, nice one, am delighted she's perked up.

That's a little forward of your vet! :D

I know i wont even mention her lickin my face, sure that was before the kitty was brought out :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement