Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back from the Future and the machine that was not repaired

Options
  • 29-10-2008 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

Hello, I am feeling a little irrate at the moment. About a month ago, I went to the store Back from the Future in the city centre with a handheld game unit that needed repair. I talked to the staff there who said that they "probably" could get it fixed, but not before mentioning that I should go to their store in Dun Laoghaire because they were more used to these types of items. Anyway it would cost atleast 50 euro to have it looked at (which equates to an hours work) - regardless of how much time would be spent on the unit, I would have to pay down 50 euro which I would not get back.

The machine in question was a collector's item, and I did want to have it repaired very badly. They told me that it was 50 an hour to look at a piece of machinery, and I told them to put a cap of 150 (or 3 hours work) as thats all I could realistically afford.

So a week and a half went by, and I called back the store....who told me that they had sent it to the other store in Dun Laoghaire. So I rang that store, but the guy hadn't gotten a look at it yet. Fair enough, I let another week go by. The staff member told me that he was waiting for "someone who knew about Sega's" to come look at it.

This didn't exactly fill me with confidence of their abilities. But I said to myself, well atleast somebody their must know something, so I waited over a week this time, but still hadn't heard back from them. So I decided to call them. This time, they told me that they still hadnt fixed it, so I was pissed off and asked them what actions had been performed, whereby the staff member told me that they had opened it up and looked at it and it was an ongoing process but they guy (an australian) told me that they probably weren't going to fix it, asked me if I could buy another one, and was in general fecking useless.

So I called 2 weeks ago, and the chap told me he still hadn't done anything and asked me if I wanted it back. I said yes and told him to send it to the store I had picked it up at in the city centre, and he said they would call when it was there. A week goes by, still no call, so I call him, and he says that the item is waiting to be picked up at the store, and that somebody probably called me but couldnt get through (absolute bull, I have a mobile that records missed calls and I wasnt born yesterday)

I collected the machine today. I asked the man behind the counter was everything in it, as in screws and other parts, and he said yes. I get home and find they took out the screws and didnt put them back in. That was the last straw really. Now I have to go back into the store and get the screws, and I'm going to make a serious complaint.

I don't care how much experience their staff has, 50 euro to take a look at a machine without making any progress is a joke. The only people who charge 50 euro an hour for something are high class hookers, and theres a funny connection here because both have ****ed me, but atleast I would have gotten my money worth with the hooker.

They never called me at all. I always had to follow them up. I feel really let down by their service. If they couldnt fix the damn thing they shouldnt have taken it in, should they?

Does this seem like a con to you or is this just everyday you lucked out stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

What is this business i.e. are they in the business of repairing old stuff or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

A lot of mechanics act like that like this as well, they haven't a clue whats wrong with your car but decide to hold on to it hoping to find out or else pass it to another garage.

They didn't give you any guarantees that they could fix it and seems fairly straight up about that that. Breakdown in communication but hardly a con!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I guess your right, but I feel kind of pissed off at their service, or lack of. I knew I was taking a chance giving the machine to them, but if they had had better staff, who took the time to call me back and explain exactly what they had tried to do and say "hey look I'm sorry we can't fix this" instead of doing nothing I wouldn't be so peeved. They didn't even tell me what was wrong with it or how I might go to somebody else and have them repair it. Ah well, you live you learn :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You're complaining about mechanics and technicians? Doctors and pharmacists are even worse.

Advertisement