Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing dough

• 29-10-2008 6:40pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to freeze various types of bread dough in an uncooked state?

I fancy starting to make bread, but seeing as it's just me, the ability to freeze parts of a batch would be handy. I'd never eat a whole loaf on my own.

Would yeast or soda doughs freeze better?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No experience to share just a quick Google search...

http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/tips/freezing-dough-the-hows-and-whys.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've frozen pastry before with good results. It usually rolls out better than it did before freezing. I assume dough will be similar?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pastry freezes really well but I never found freezing yeast dough was very successful - it just wasn't the same when defrosted. I've never frozen soda dough but I'd imagine it would be ok.
    I usually cook all the loaves while the oven is on, then freeze the surplus loaves. This works really well and is more energy efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Freezing isn't great for yeast, if it doesn't kill it off altogether it will certainly not do it any favours.

Your best bet is to make small loaves, half-bake them and then freeze them. You want to bake them until the yeast has been killed and the crumb formed but stop before the crust starts to brown. When you defrost and finish off baking a loaf it'll be virtually as good as a fresh one.

It's hard to give timings or anything as it depends on what kind of loaves, your oven etc. etc. so it might take some trial and error to get it right.

Good luck.

Advertisement