Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 days remorse on distance selling

Options
  • 29-10-2008 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

a friend of mine bought something for her boyfriend on www.topgifts.ie but he doesn't want it. Less than 24 hours later she tried to get a refund but they said he'd have to pick something of the same value

i've heard something about a law regarding 7 days remorse with distance selling

does anyone know if the law applies in this case or if such a law even exists?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Maybe this will help - from National Consumer Agency of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

thanks for that. A quick google also turned up this:
    http://www.efc.ie/publications/legal_updates/articles/corpbank/distance_selling.html

which says pretty much the same thing. The only thing i can see that might exclude it is that it's a leisure activity but it says that the dates of the activity have to be pre-defined, like a flight booking or similar

so it's looking to me like the answer is yes it does apply? Unless anyone can think of a reason it doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Is there a time limit on the voucher or whatever it was?
    Agreements for the supply of “accommodation, transport, catering or leisure services where the supplier undertakes, when the contract is made, to provide those services on a specific date or within a specific period”.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

axer wrote: »
    Is there a time limit on the voucher or whatever it was?
    Agreements for the supply of accommodation, transport, catering or leisure services where the supplier undertakes, when the contract is made, to provide those services on a specific date or within a specific period.

all vouchers would have expiry dates but i think that clause is more for hotel bookings and flights and that type of thing where the company has refused other business because of the slot your booking was taking

but it doesn't matter now anyway because her mother rang up and got a refund :)

thanks for the replies

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ha. God bless the tough irish mammy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement