Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Airport car competitions

Options
  • 29-10-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Is it only in Heathrow that these car competitions take place? Has anyone actually won any of those Bentley's, Lamborghini's or Ferrari's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Try the airport in Bahrain. Last time I was there (couple of months ago) there was a competition with two prizes. Both identical. Each contained a Ferrari, Lambo, M5, X5 and a few other cars. 7 in total for each prize. Madness I tells ya.

That being said, I have no idea if they're ever one but would assume so (for not good reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Birmingham also has them.
    I would guess they have to be legit since they are going one in the airport.
    It used to be something like £200 for a ticket, but they lowered the price and increased the number of tickets.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Remember that programme about airports, not the Easy Jet or Luton one. There was a more recent one done.

They were there when the MD of the car lottery place called a guy in North Wales to tell him he had won the Aston Martin DB9. He was ecstatic and called down the next day. He said he was going to tax and insure it(good luck ££££) and drive across Europe. Luck B!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Luton hairyport has one too, at £20 a ticket I think. They try to sell me one every time I go there, but what would I do with a Ferrari on our potholed roads with Gormley up my back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

With VRT of about €50,000 on most cars they have in the raffle it would be best to sell it on the spot rather than bring it home :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ART6 wrote: »
    Luton hairyport has one too, at £20 a ticket I think. They try to sell me one every time I go there, but what would I do with a Ferrari on our potholed roads with Gormley up my back?

be well worth it to annoy that c**t. (I believe "minister" would be the correct title)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

as far as i know they are legit. if your ticket gets picked you then have to do something else like 'spot the ball' or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I believe they are legit.

A one Mr Ganley from Co Galway won an SL500 a few years ago.

Now, I don't know for sure.......but I'm wondering if it was he of 'Lisbon' fame.....??

And yes, the VRT would be mad - buy you'd be mad NOT to pay it ! - you'd still have a fab car for a fraction of the infamous OMSP !! :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

You'd probably have to pay VAT too, as the car is less than 6 months.

So would that be 21% of the cost of the ticket... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It BeeMee wrote: »
    You'd probably have to pay VAT too, as the car is less than 6 months.

So would that be 21% of the cost of the ticket... ?

If I won one you can be sure I'd manage to put the 6,000kms on it over 6 months in order to avoid the VAT. I don't care how I'd do it, I just would somehow!
    Having said that, I won't win one cause I don't buy the tickets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I know they used to have them draws in Schipol a few years back. Part of the small print was that the car would be registered in the winner's home country with all taxes paid. I remember seeing an Irish name on a list of previous winners one time but that was several years ago when I was travelling frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It was a DB9 in Schiphol last March. Didn't buy a ticket, I had €3.79 left in my pockets after the week.

Advertisement