Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH Levels not spiking

Options
  • 29-10-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    OH and I trying to conceive and this month I've started testing for my AH levels to give us a better chance. I started testing on day 11 and now on day 15 still no spike. I have always had regular periods and am off the pill now 15 months.
    My understanding is that no AH spike, no ovulation. Is a lack of the AH spike enough to start talking to a doctor about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TT92

What are AH levels!
    Ive used ovulation kits and never had a smiley face!:(
    Got bloods done and doctor said it was normal! So confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Yep confusing. My understanding is that AH levels represnt the hormone that spikes in the 72 hours before ovulation. Involves testing pee :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Are you sure you don't mean LH?
    When do you test? I found it best to test early afternoon. I also know of some women whose spike was so sharp, they needed to test 2-3 times a day to catch it. You might also want to watch for other symptoms (cervix, type of cervical mucous etc), but the most reliable at-home test for ovulation is really to take your basal body temp each day; it should go up by about a degree the day after you ovulate.

All that being said, if you have had sex regularly during those 15 months, and there has been no pregnancy, that alone is cause enough to talk to a doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 curly_girly

I've just come off the pill and have no idea what my cycle length is, as I was on it for a good few years, so I decided to use the ovulation test kit. I'm on day 18 now and still no spike in LH (which stands for Leutenising Hormone by the way - I'm a Biology Teacher!). I'm freaking out abit. I know it's probably too much to expect that I'll get pregnant in the first month but I can always hope! Plus there's always that fear there . . . I do get the impression that these ovulation test sticks aren't all they're cracked up to be. Our doctor did recommend to us that your chances are higher if you have sex every two days. I have my fingers crossed for you

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just wanted to add something to this thread and its something that I pointed out in an earlier thread.The point Im trying to make below is that even though you may have regular cycles you may or may not ovulate on the "expected day" of your cycle.My wife was getting blood tests to find the ideal day and Im sure that if she had used predictor kits from an earlier day in her cycle they would have picked up the "surge"
    Hope this helps,
    Richie.

It also turned out that even though my wife had 30 day cycles and was expected to ovulate on day 14/15 she actually ovulated as early as day 12 or as late as day 17/18 so our timing was off
    When going through Napro you need to get 3/4 blood tests done each month to determine what your hormone levels are and then the treatment is increased or decreased to get to the ideal levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Its very easy to miss your surges when using ovulation testing kits and I believe that you probably put extra pressure on yourselves when trying to concieve and trying for a baby becomes very clinical or something.

Lots of sex and enjoying trying for a baby! It is meant to be fun after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

i got two packs of them and they did not pick the spike, my advice would be as the previous poster - also, dont get worried about it, it may come as a nice suprise when you least expect it1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've been told that the best way to maximise the odds of getting pregnant is to have sex every 2 days, with no male masturbation in between. That way you will definitely not miss your ovulation. And it also gives the sperm a chance to regenerate fully between sessions.

Of course it works best if you are both "people of leisure" who never have to work late or get flu or headaches.;)

Advertisement