Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russell Brand Resigns - Hopefully JR follows suit.

Options
  • 29-10-2008 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

Russell Brand resigns as BBC radio host over prank calls
    Ruseell Brand quit his Radio 2 show and Jonathan Ross publicly apologised this evening for the lewd phone messages the pair left for the actor Andrew Sachs.
    In his statement Ross said: "I am deeply sorry and greatly regret the upset and distress that my juvenile and thoughtless remarks on the Russell Brand show have caused.
    "I have not issued a statement previously because it was my intention and desire to offer an apology to all those offended on my Friday night programme."
    advertisement
    The BBC pulled the plug on the Friday Night With Jonathan Ross show just hours before it was due to be recorded tonight. It has suspended Ross and Brand.

Ross's apology was issued through law firm Schillings.
    Brand said he took "complete responsibility" for the incident and that he got "caught up in the moment".
    Former heroin addict Brand has presented his Radio 2 show since November 2006 and is thought to be paid more than £200,000 a year by the BBC. Mr Sachs today said he was "not surprised" Ross and Brand had been suspended by the BBC over their prank calls to him.
    And he confirmed he was not planning to take the matter up with the police.
    He said the pair had got it "badly wrong" and made a "poor team", but he was not seeking revenge.
    Mr Sachs was speaking on his return to his home in Kilburn, north London, just hours after it became known that the pair have been suspended.
    I am deeply sorry and greatly regret the upset and distress that my juvenile and thoughtless remarks on the Russell Brand show have caused.Jonathan RossAsked his reaction to the news, he said: "I'm not surprised."
    Asked if he was going to take the matter up with the police, he said: "I'm not going to take it anywhere, I'm not out for revenge."
    Asked if he thought the BBC should have suspended the pair earlier, he said: "I wasn't counting the time, if it happens, it happens. If they are slow on it, it's a problem someone else has to take up."
    He said the matter was "very upsetting" not just for himself, but for his wife who is ill in hospital and other members of his family.
    "I'm very sorry it happened," he said.
    "These things happen, people get things wrong, in this case they got it badly wrong."
    Asked about a full transcript of the pair's remarks made public today, he said: "I haven't read the full transcript, but I've heard about some of it and it sounds ghastly.
    "How can grown-up, mature people do it? It's a very poor team, the two of them, if that's the result of it."

Asked if he thought the BBC should make an example of them, he said: "That's up to the BBC, I'm neutral about it, I dare say the two of them are shattered, and the director nervous.
    "They may recover from it, and be all the better for it."
    Asked how he would feel if they were reinstated, he said: "I would have nothing more to say about it. That's up to other people. Whatever happens to them, they don't need me to add to it."
    He was asked about confirmation today that his granddaughter had a relationship with Brand.
    He said: "She's a grown-up woman, that's her choice, what grandfather tells his granddaughter what to do?"
    Asked if he was angry that the pair had not apologised to his granddaughter, he said: "Maybe they have. They haven't that I know of, but they have both apologised to me, sent very nice letters and flowers. I think they should apologise to her."
    He confirmed that items from the prank calls to his answer phone had been broadcast on Brand's show on Radio 2 without his approval.
    Asked what he thought the affair showed of the BBC, and whether it had deteriorated, he said: "In some ways it's better, there's some very good stuff on. Everybody goes for the extreme these days, for example people use swear words to excess, everything's extreme."

Haha This is hilarious. He needed taking down a peck or two to be honest.

Ross will proabaly get off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Storm in a teat cup TBH. What they did was wrong but not to the extent that this fuss is over.
    Its people jumping on the band wagon baying for blood. An apology should have been enough.
    I really hope JR doesn't resign because I think he one of the most talented presenters out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

COMEDY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Is it possible he was told quit or be fired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

xanthor wrote: »
    It is most possible.

I would laugh if somebody asks Brand about him resigning and he says "I know nothing" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

xanthor wrote: »

Whatever it is it'll be in his new book when he recently signed on to do. Odd timing huh :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Dignified response from Sacchs there. Really think it was bad form but at the same time no need for either of them getting fired or stepping down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

It's not like he's got no other work on his mug is plastered everywhere as it is.
    I don't think we'll be seeing him on the dole queue anytime soon. More's the pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

rovert wrote: »
    Whatever it is it'll be in his new book when he recently signed on to do. Odd timing huh :p

Oh you cynic! I'm sure he genuinely regrets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

I actually liked russell brand yes granted he was wrong and the prank was distasteful but it was jonathen ross who started it in thr first place, russell brand went along with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Now I am surprised at this. I didn't anticipate Brand quitting or being forced to jump the shark. I hope Brand realises that if he wants to further his career he has to improve his craft now. His crassness didn't get him anywhere in America and now it's starting catch up on him in the UK. But sure as long as there are ditzy teenage girls and fratboy wannabes around Brand will not need to improve his craft if he doesn't want to.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

It was just a joke. What a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

And there was poor Georgina Baillie, (who id never heard of before this outrage took place), appearing on the 10 O Clock news, surrounded by THE SUN logo, all dejected and hurt.

Her career is about to take off!

Any news is good news for all three of them. Get over it!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

DubArk wrote: »
    And there was poor Georgina Baillie, (who id never heard of before this outrage took place), appearing on the 10 O Clock news, surrounded by THE SUN logo, all dejected and hurt.

Her career is about to take off!

Any news is good news for all three of them. Get over it!! :D

Unless she plans on carving out a career in reality TV she is not going to get a career out of this. What does she even do? Burlesque for cripes sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Such a non issue. BBC will regret this with brand leaving the show. Love his radio show. As for this affecting his career. I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I can't believe what a big deal is being made of this!!!! I think that girls Grandfather should be more embarrassed by her career choices than jokes made by comedians. And Jonathon Ross shouldn't be sacked and won't be sacked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

k4t, please refer to the updated charter for the new guidelines about starting threads. At the very least we require a source, we also ask that you include your own relevant opinion or discussion-provoking question. We are aiming to move away from the current trend of news-feed type posts.

I'm locking this thread because A) we can't have one rule for one person and not another, and B) We don't need two threads on this anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement