Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an architect

• 29-10-2008 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi
    I am looking for an Architect to help design an extension <40m square to a detached early 19th Century cottage. Is there a website of contacts or can anyone recommend a firm?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

www.riai.ie

If its early 19th century, your would be best going to a conservation grade practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mellor wrote: »
    www.riai.ie

If its early 19th century, your would be best going to a conservation grade practice.
    Traitor :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Mellor wrote: »
    www.riai.ie

You're assuming it is listed, it may not be!! If not what county are you in eam07, if it is use the link mellor has given.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I didn't assume it was listed.
    I assume that because the OP included the fact that its almost 200 years old, that he wanted to be be sympathetic to this. Conservation work extends well past protected structures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Apoligies Mellor, I assumed that you assumed and after all that you didnt!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 archie83

you can check on http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/ to see if your house is mentioned - also check on the county development plan list of protected structures. If so, you're likely to need a conservation architect as you will be liaising with conservation officers, planning dept, and may need an architectural Heritage Impact Assessment to be carried out by an accredited conservation firm. Hope this helps!

Advertisement