Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N2-N3 link road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

is it just me or is progress fairly slow on this? I would have expected a bit more to have been done since the last pics.

Maybe it's just the rain make the place look dull and there is more there than I'm assuming. I havent been up this way since it started so only going by the photos.

Edit:

Just had a look back at the earlier pics again and I'm probably not been fair to the contractors. I had thought the base layers were down in the earlier pics but it was only stripped earth in many places. Must be just the rain makes it look half derelict.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

cargo wrote: »
    Just had a look back at the earlier pics again and I'm probably not been fair to the contractors. I had thought the base layers were down in the earlier pics but it was only stripped earth in many places. Must be just the rain makes it look half derelict.
    In fact I would agree with you, it's been U/C for around 6-8 months now but there's still just stripped soil along most of the route. Maybe there's a lot of levelling to be done that we don't know about and since this is an offline build the blacktop won't take long.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Anyone know when this will be finished? Any pics of current progress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

anybody know if the section from the top of church road mulhuddart to the roundabout at tyrrelstown centre that is currently being dualled will include 2 lanes each way to all traffic or will it be one lane each way with bus lanes?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

triple-M wrote: »
    anybody know if the section from the top of church road mulhuddart to the roundabout at tyrrelstown centre that is currently being dualled will include 2 lanes each way to all traffic or will it be one lane each way with bus lanes?
    AFAIK it will be dual no bus lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Any word on progress?

Any word on progress?
    Haven't been out that way since April, I hear progress is slow. It started in Sep 2011, could be a 2-year job so some way to go yet. Will see if I can check it out sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

seen this road from plane approaching dublin airport on sunday, looks that it's almost finished with some road markings already on it,
    no signes of any bus lanes, so probably it is two traffic lanes both ways for all cars.

so i think it will be in service in few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Any word on progress?

Slowest road build ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Slowest road build ever.
    Fingal co co just twittered that works at the tyrellstown rab would be delayed due to bad weather and continue until at least 8 Feb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

hi everyone,is part of this road now open? I was taking off from dublin airport and saw a road which I was pretty sure was the link road partially opened from the n2 junction up until where it splits with 1 section going to tyrrelstown and the other up to the industrial areas,the tyrrelstown section seemed to be still under construction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's a section opened that starts at the Texaco garage, don't know how much of it is open as I didn't actually drive up it, probably only as far as the Nissan garage and cutting out the old narrow road section

There's also a very small section open at the hotel at Tyrrelstown, about 1km or so, heading towards Hollystown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

Is there a map of the scheme?

Unfortunately the section we're looking forward to most, i.e. the bit off the M2 itself isn't open yet. As said previously, a few small sections are open (near the hotel in Tyrellstown, by the ESB Station and towards the first roundabout you'll meet after coming off the M2) but still a bit to do yet.

This road is not programmed to be completed until September.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Would make huge sense to continue east of the M/N2 and tie in with the St Margarets bypass, would make access to the airport from the N2 a lot easier and avoid the aggravation of the Kilshane cross road, and also facilitate the eventual building of the second runway at the airport, and possibly even facilitate extending the existing runway by using the road down through by DHL to connect to the N2, allowing the short piece across the end of 10 to be closed. That would significantly reduce the traffic through the Charlestown area for Swords if it could go out to J2 and pick up a decent road.

Probably too much to hope for in these times

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Would make huge sense to continue east of the M/N2 and tie in with the St Margarets bypass, would make access to the airport from the N2 a lot easier and avoid the aggravation of the Kilshane cross road, and also facilitate the eventual building of the second runway at the airport, and possibly even facilitate extending the existing runway by using the road down through by DHL to connect to the N2, allowing the short piece across the end of 10 to be closed. That would significantly reduce the traffic through the Charlestown area for Swords if it could go out to J2 and pick up a decent road.

Probably too much to hope for in these times
    All you've described above is planned and does in fact appear on Fingal Development Plans. However, it's unlikely to be built for many years due to the fact that the part across the Liffey is more important and in any case there's no funding available.

Both Openstreetmap and Gmaps are showing part of this road open now.

The southeastern part connecting Corduff Rd/Kilshane Way up to Hollystown Golf Club is open. I noticed it from an airplane last weekend. Haven't had a chance to head out that way to see it from the ground though. According to OSM, they've taken the opportunity to close off the crappy little lane that connected the two big roundabouts.
    Gmaps is showing the part at Tyrellstown open too but I don't think that's right as OSM is saying that part is still under construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Part of the old R121 from the roundabout at Tyrrelstown Town Centre to the next new roundabout has now been closed alright, one side of the carriageway is open for both directions, but you join the old road again before you get to the bends.

According to a patrick Nulty newsletter, the road opens in full on May 17.

• Advertisement

According to a patrick Nulty newsletter, the road opens in full on May 17.
    That's actually a fair bit earlier than the originally scheduled date (September).

spacetweek wrote: »
    That's actually a fair bit earlier than the originally scheduled date (September).

I'm thinking now that Nulty was passing on bogus info as I drove that way yesterday and it looks like they still had a lot of work to do before this is ready so I'd be surprised if it was all ready by this Friday. For example, surely they'd have the new signs up on the M2 with the new routes blacked out at this stage but I didn't see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,893 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Signs can go up in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think they have blacked out signs on the Brock Inn exit, but only at the roundabout, not before the junction on the N2/M2.

The signs were just one example. On Sunday there seemed like a lot of stuff still to be done to have the road ready for opening on Friday. Maybe they're going hell for leather this week and it will open as per the Nulty newsletter but I haven't been out that way the past 2 days to check

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Opening today according to AA Roadwatch...
    The N2/N3 Link Rd is opening to traffic today. This Road will link the N3/Navan Rd and the N2/North Rd and should alleviate delays on the N3 in the Mulhuddart and Hollystown areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=776
    Varadkar opens vital N2/N3 link road

24 - 05 - 2013

Back to Press Releases

First road to be part-funded by NAMA

Project is good for transport, jobs & communities

Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport Leo Varadkar has opened the long-awaited N2/N3 link road in west Dublin, the first road project to be funded with assistance from NAMA. The Minister was joined at the launch in Blanchardstown of the €20.55 million project by the Mayor of Fingal, Cllr Cian O’Callaghan.

“It is particularly significant that this road has been funded with assistance from NAMA, the first time that NAMA has helped to finance a new road project. I want to see more such co-operation between NAMA and road development in the future,” Minister Varadkar said.

“This road is more than just a link between two motorways and an alternative route to and from the airport. It’s about providing vital infrastructure to encourage businesses to settle in the area, and take traffic and heavy vehicles away from other roads. The project also includes off-road bike lanes to encourage more people to cycle.

“It will open up new employment opportunities in Tyrrelstown, Blanchardstown, Clonsilla, Ongar and further afield. I understand that one local employer is already planning to develop a site along the road and create new jobs. I have no doubt that my colleagues in Fingal County Council will do everything to assist potential start-ups and established businesses to set up and grow.”

Work started in September 2011 on the €20.55 million project, which received funding of €6 million from the Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport. The remainder was sourced by Fingal County Council and NAMA.

The area has been zoned specifically to encourage employment, with zones for science & technology developments, warehousing, light industrial and office accommodation. It is already home to Bristol Myers Squib, IBM and eBay.

The road itself has been designed to be future-proof, with essential infrastructure pre-installed under and alongside the road, so there should be no need for anyone to dig it up again for a very long time.

It commences at Church Road close to Tyrrelstown and joins the N2 at the Cherryhound interchange. Six roundabouts have been constructed along the route to link with existing local roads and provide access points to future development lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is Kilshane road going to get a 3tonne limit on it now, will Kilshane cross junction need a redesign as the flow of traffic will have changed?

Is Kilshane road going to get a 3tonne limit on it now, will Kilshane cross junction need a redesign as the flow of traffic will have changed?

A bit of resurfacing would be a nice start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Saw it also on the way into the airport yesterday. Noone was using it!

Advertisement