Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower glanmire road closed!!

Options
  • 29-10-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

So hows was everyones commute out of town tonight with that closure of the lower glanmire road. Apparently the Sea wall collapsed. wish i could have seen it does this mean the road fell into the sea or what???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I was getting a bus (replacement for the train to Cobh) and we diverted out the south link and through the tunnel. the tunnel traffic was backed up to the Kinsale road roundabout, luckily our driver was a nutter and made great progress. I hope it won't take too long to fix up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Gardai are recommending leaving at least an hour earlier tomorrow because of the traffic!!! what actually happened??? did the whole road collapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Hogzy wrote: »
    Gardai are recommending leaving at least an hour earlier tomorrow because of the traffic!!! what actually happened??? did the whole road collapse?

From what they were saying on the radio, the road didn't collapse, just the sea wall but they were concerned that there may have been damage to the road and didn't want heavy traffic on it, which could have resulted in more damage.

that would make sense i suppose. Pitty tho. im not looking forward to having to get up an hour earlier in the morning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

Well i got in pretty quickly through back roads from watergrasshill but it is quite annoying.I want to see pictures of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

where exactly did the wall collapse? Is it near where all the work is going on opposite Shandon Boat club?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i waas just coming on to here to try and see what the story was. the traffic on the middle glanmire road yesterday at around 6pm was crazy too. it was backed up all the way to st lukes. i managed to swing around and drive up gardiners hill instead.
    Gardaí all over that side of the City this morning ushering traffic through...
    They're at all junctions near the river so it looks like things are flowing anyway.
    Echo should have pics today..

yeah i noticed that too. loads of them. where were they yesterday evening when everything is going mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

Yea, rights across from The marina car park area.
    irish rail are building a bridge over the road and the rail line for the locals to use but they must have shaken something loose because part of the wall further along collapsed into the water taking the footpath with it. 40 metres long the Examiner is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Call me stupid but i dont really understand whats happening in the pictures. are all those photos taken after the wall collapsed or what? I know the 2nd set obviously show the problem but im confused about the first set!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

Thanks very much,it makes it much clearer for me now,they've opened the inside lane going out and i couldnt really see what exactly was collapsed as is was dark and i was on a bus.Clearly part of the road and obviously the walls collpased

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

well the tide is different in both pics so it's hard to compare.
    If you look at the wall on the right of the mound in pic 1 there is a wall there. in the 4th pic that wall is gone and you can only see mud.
    Is this the wall?

the road is open again in both directions. when I passed on the bus this morning it looked like the wall extending from the mound in the river had fallen into the river. They have new lights up and barriers up blocking that section off.

I grabbed some video as I passed the area on the bus this morning, sorry about the shaky hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hcottybuds1

Before

Picture588.jpg

Picture589.jpg

After

Picture287.jpg

Picture322.jpg

Pics Courtesy of proc.

nice to see my pics doing the rounds:)

Advertisement