Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal V Spurs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A fantastic, absorbing match. I was gripped by it. Perfect Wednesday night entertainment.

Martin Tyler: "It is 4-4!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Babybing wrote: »
    cant you tune in the regional BBC channels on the sky box?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055038749

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

thank god we werent playing arsenal ladies, otherwise we would have lost....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

For sure. Yid certainly be distracted by the goalie :pac:

http://www.image.ie/realwomen/realwomen3/_largepix/2.gif

Unbelieveable. He did good work last season but you really have to wonder now whether Ramos was wallowing too much in self pity about losing players and whether it rubbed off on the squad. That Bentley goal was one of those moments where you see it flying in and find yourself following its path with shouts of "woah...woah..wo.....woooooooahhhh!! Fcuk!". Arry is truly the Gus Hiddink of the prem tbh.

The fan running on at the end, what a legend :pac: Still, after such a rotten run seeing a performance like this must have them absoloutely ecstatic.

Considering a bet on Wenger being there in August 09 tbh. Starting to get the Martin Jol syndrome of being too comfortable in merely being top 4. The EPL is likely already out of reach this season IMO, it is the CL/ FA Cup win or show him the door time I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

shane86 wrote: »
    Considering a bet on Wenger being there in August 09 tbh. Starting to get the Martin Jol syndrome of being too comfortable in merely being top 4. The EPL is likely already out of reach this season IMO, it is the CL/ FA Cup win or show him the door time I think.

That'd be a pretty bad bet imo. He'll never be sacked, the Arsenal board have their heads screwed on and don't go in for knee jerk reactions. Given the money he's spent the team should be in the relegation zone, yet they make the top 4 every year fairly comfortably. It's exactly what the board want.

And he's always said he'll never break a contract, his current run ones til 2011 I think. I could definitely see him calling it a day after that if it's still the same thing every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

shane86 wrote: »
    Starting to get the Martin Jol syndrome of being too comfortable in merely being top 4.

When was Martin Jol ever top 4?

I'm not happy with the way things are going, but Wenger will be here for quite some time and like it or not, he will bring the trophies back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

:)

Maybe Fabregas should shut his cake hole and do his talking on the pitch? Didn't they lose to Blackburn after he had a go at Hughes coming off the pitch? Karma has a way of biting you on the ass, just ask Earl...;)

Was absolute bedlam in our end when the 4th went in, I had Graham Roberts with me and a mate and we nearly went arse over tit down a few rows of seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ecstatic. Thought we could sneak 3 points early on but after that rollercoaster, I'm delighted with the draw, especially with the Gooner ref!

Spurs are back to entertaining football I reckon! Bentley goal was a cracker and I think I'm warming to him after that postmatch interview :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Maybe Fabregas should shut his cake hole and do his talking on the pitch? Didn't they lose to Blackburn after he had a go at Hughes coming off the pitch? Karma has a way of biting you on the ass, just ask Earl...;)

I love the way your all taking with The Sun's reporting as gospel truth. Most football fans know most of what it posts is pure ****e and anyone who has ever watched a Fab interview could tell that he's not the kind of player who'd say something like that about the Arsenal Ladies beating Spurs.
    Kold wrote: »
    Ecstatic. Thought we could sneak 3 points early on but after that rollercoaster, I'm delighted with the draw, especially with the Gooner ref!

Spurs are back to entertaining football I reckon! Bentley goal was a cracker and I think I'm warming to him after that postmatch interview :D

How exactly was it a Gooner ref?
    Your warming to him after an interview where he acted the tit?

[/biased but truthful rant]

Frisbee wrote: »
    and anyone who has ever watched a Fab interview could tell that he's not the kind of player who'd say something like that about the Arsenal Ladies beating Spurs.

Really?
    When we shook hands at the end, the young man asked me a question which I thought was disrespectful. He asked me if I had played for Barcelona and when I said yes, he shook his head as if in disbelief. Then he said, 'Well, that wasn't Barcelona football'."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2307902/Hughes-fury-at-Fabregas-%27insult%27.html

I'd call that previous.

• Advertisement

There's a difference between coming off the pitch after a highly boring Arsenal vs. Blackburn match and saying that it was a boring display of football. He was right, it was. From both teams.

It's still 'The Sun' though. You could trust the Telegraph fair enough but anyone who believes exactly what The Sun prints about football and takes it as the guaranteed truth.... I dunno, but something that Big would have made it into the proper, I mean bigger papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd have loved it if Hughes had hit back with "Did you?"

Tauren wrote: »

I'd say Highes was happy to let his medals do the talking...

Pah - that doesn't offer immediate 'pwnage' though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Like his European champions medal (international)

I suppose that would do, of course it would mean he'd have to highlight the lack of medals he's won with his clubs wouldn't it???

Cesc Fabregas, the time traveling footballer, it would appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cesc Fabregas, the time traveling footballer, it would appear.

Que?

Are Spain not the European Champions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

FFS what age is Fabregas
    People normally do their career medal count at the end of their career
    Please start this discussion when Fab is 35 not 20

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    FFS what age is Fabregas
    People normally do their career medal count at the end of their career
    Please start this discussion when Fab is 35 not 20

Perhaps he should have done the same?

• Advertisement

Perhaps he should have done the same?

So Fabregas was counting his medals? No, he was angry when he came off and had a go at Hughes, who didn't do particularly well while he was at Barcelona. He's still young and things like that are to be expected, not half as bad as the crap Bentley comes out with, you're welcome to him...great player, great ability, terrible attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

That'd be a pretty bad bet imo. He'll never be sacked, the Arsenal board have their heads screwed on and don't go in for knee jerk reactions. Given the money he's spent the team should be in the relegation zone, yet they make the top 4 every year fairly comfortably. It's exactly what the board want.

And he's always said he'll never break a contract, his current run ones til 2011 I think. I could definitely see him calling it a day after that if it's still the same thing every year.

You think Arsenal would be in the relegation zone were it not for Wenger? Wow:D

jasonorr wrote: »
    great player, great ability, terrible attitude.

Ha ha, do me a favour, you want to talk about attitude?

I'll say this, the grace with which Arsenal play their football is heavily contrasted with their lack of grace when it comes to the individuals.

Throwing pizza...
    Cnuting off an opposition manager as he comes off the pitch...
    Henry after tthe CL final...
    Gallas throwing a strop last season...
    Hi-5s at 80 mins...
    Pretty much everything your miopic manager spouts after he doesn't get a win...

Babybing wrote: »
    You think Arsenal would be in the relegation zone were it not for Wenger? Wow:D

Read his post! What he's saying is, we've spent no money in the last 4 years and spent about an average of £4m a year since Wenger came. Draw your own conclusions after that!

Ha ha, do me a favour, you want to talk about attitude?

I'll say this, the grace with which Arsenal play their football is heavily contrasted with their lack of grace when it comes to the individuals.

Throwing pizza...
    Cnuting off an opposition manager as he comes off the pitch...
    Henry after tthe CL final...
    Gallas throwing a strop last season...
    Hi-5s at 80 mins...

I'm not getting dragged into a slagging match here, you're being childish. Of course Wenger and the players react badly when things go pear shaped, they're used to winning games, I'm a terrible loser as well so I can't lambaste them for behaving as I would. If you can honestly say that, you're 100% happy with everything your players/managers do/say, then fair enough, but I doubt it. So instead of picking out the flaws in other teams, have a look at your own first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So instead of picking out the flaws in other teams, have a look at your own first!

Oh where to begin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

In fairness being myopic is a much better trait than being "bent"

So instead of picking out the flaws in other teams, have a look at your own first!

Mate, I'm replying to points you and others have made, if you want to see who's instigating the whole thing you need to look closer to home.

I didn't see bentley's interview last night, as I was trying to find a tube station that didn't have a mile long queue outside it, while keeping my head down to avoid a slap, but he got grief for 90mins last night from 57k people, so I'd forgive him a little over exuberance.

Meanwhile, I'm merely trying to point out you might be standing in a greenhouse there, it's your decision if you choose to chuck rocks or not.

I'm off to catch my flight home, ciao.

I didn't see bentley's interview last night, as I was trying to find a tube station that didn't have a mile long queue outside it, while keeping my head down to avoid a slap, but he got grief for 90mins last night from 57k people, so I'd forgive him a little over exuberance.

I'm not talking about last night in particular, just his overall attitude towards the club since he left, which is why I understand the booing. Maybe he's actually a Spurs fan, who knows, but after spending 8 years on the books at Arsenal, he shouldn't be constantly trying to get his digs in whenever he can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'm not getting dragged into a slagging match here, you're being childish. Of course Wenger and the players react badly when things go pear shaped, they're used to winning games, I'm a terrible loser as well so I can't lambaste them for behaving as I would. If you can honestly say that, you're 100% happy with everything your players/managers do/say, then fair enough, but I doubt it. So instead of picking out the flaws in other teams, have a look at your own first!
    defense really needs work when King is out Hutton had a bad game. That's where id start in January if i was Redknapp. Then a little more edge to the attack Modric was superb tho and jenas fought and scrapped for every ball, Cant fault the midfield really(At least i can't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Des wrote: »
    Que?

not at the time.

Nah he chose to play for Arsenal ahead of Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

For such an outstanding footballer, its clear that Fabregas is still a little immature. Throwing the pizza, slagging off Hughes, saying Arsenal women could draw with Spurs, are all basically comments from a teenager, which is what Fabregas still is.

PHB wrote: »
    For such an outstanding footballer, its clear that Fabregas is still a little immature. Throwing the pizza, slagging off Hughes, saying Arsenal women could draw with Spurs, are all basically comments from a teenager, which is what Fabregas still is.

Didnt think Fab was involved in that. Fairly Sure Cashley was the main culprit...

Said it about 20 times already but why is everyone so ready to believe The Sun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It suits them to believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

What exactly was wrong with Bentley's interview? He put up with 94 mins of ignorant gooners booing him whenever he got the ball, scored a wonder goal and helped Spurs get a valuable point over their biggest rivals. Be bitter about that, stop trying to take it away from him. Of course he'd be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I 100% blame Wenger for this embarrassing result. how the hell do you trash a team 4-4??? Arsene knows......

Nah he chose to play for Arsenal ahead of Barcelona

not the point though, Cesc hasn't played senior football for Barcelona, Hughes has.

Didnt think Fab was involved in that. Fairly Sure Cashley was the main culprit...

i'm fairly certain is was one of the spannish players, but maybe it was reyes. I'm sure i read it wasn't Cole anyway.

Des wrote: »
    Que?

The incident happened after an Arsenal, Blackburn game, thus it has to have happened before this summer; before Fabregas won the Euro Champs with Spain, so in a medal showing contest, it would not have been available to him at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I hear Hutton had a disaster last nght, is he struggling since coming back from injury?
    Rumours up here are saying he isnt happy at all and wants to come home.

not the point though, Cesc hasn't played senior football for Barcelona, Hughes has.

True, but he was a bit of a flop if truth be told and who's to say that Fabregas won't in the future, he hasn't hidden his desire to return and play for Barcelona (and they do seem interested) in the future and with Arsenal not winning anything and not likely to for a while if our tranfer policy isn't modified, then how long is he going to be happy playing in a Western European climate.

True, but he was a bit of a flop if truth be told and who's to say that Fabregas won't in the future, he hasn't hidden his desire to return and play for Barcelona (and they do seem interested) in the future and with Arsenal not winning anything and not likely to for a while if our tranfer policy isn't modified, then how long is he going to be happy playing in a Western European climate.

yeah, but it just seems odd to use playing for barcelona (and not the performances while there) as the basis for a put down when Fabregas himself decided not to play for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

True, but he was a bit of a flop if truth be told and who's to say that Fabregas won't in the future, he hasn't hidden his desire to return and play for Barcelona (and they do seem interested) in the future and with Arsenal not winning anything and not likely to for a while if our tranfer policy isn't modified, then how long is he going to be happy playing in a Western European climate.[/QUOTE]

You realise Spain extends further West than England...:D

ibh wrote: »
    True, but he was a bit of a flop if truth be told and who's to say that Fabregas won't in the future, he hasn't hidden his desire to return and play for Barcelona (and they do seem interested) in the future and with Arsenal not winning anything and not likely to for a while if our tranfer policy isn't modified, then how long is he going to be happy playing in a Western European climate.[/QUOTE]

You realise Spain extends further West than England...:D

You get what i mean, even if I'm unable to describe the climates sufficiently...Spain is South West though :D

Eirebear wrote: »
    I hear Hutton had a disaster last nght, is he struggling since coming back from injury?
    Rumours up here are saying he isnt happy at all and wants to come home.

Had a mare mate, looked completely off the boil.

And the rumours I'm hearing suggest he's happy some of the time, but not so happy when he comes back down...;)

Pighead wrote: »
    In fairness being myopic is a much better trait than being "bent"

Careful there Piggsy, if it's unsubstantiated rumours we're going on there's a few I could post about the other manager last night...;)

Because he chose not to. He'd be in the Barca First team if he wanted.
    He'd walk into most teams starting lineups. Barca would be the hardest for him to get into probably

Because he chose not to. He'd be in the Barca First team if he wanted.
    He'd walk into most teams starting lineups. Barca would be the hardest for him to get into probably

Yeah, but "But i could if I wanted to" would be a weak ass response to my hypothetical hughes put down.

I think Cesc is a fantastic player, and i don't want what i am saying to imply otherwise. My comments are simply and completely directed at his comment towards Hughes and the fact Fabregas left Barcelona without playing senior football for them. In a tit-for-tat argument (hypothetical) between the two on this subject, using quick put downs, the fact Fabregas could play for them, and could play for any side in the world if he wanted to, isn't relavent, cause the argument would sound weak.

Cesc: I could of if I wanted to.
    Hughes: Did you play for them?
    C: But i could have.
    H: Did you?
    C: I could sign for them tomorrow
    H: Will you
    C: ...No
    H: So?
    C: .... *throws pizza at hughes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Cesc: I could of if I wanted to.