Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statement from the shooting organisations on the Firearms Consultative Panel

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

B'man,

This Super is on a par with the dude that was in Kilkenny for attitude to firearms :rolleyes:

I was working too. Just cause you were tucked up in your bed with your teddy bear doesn't mean we all are ;) Nice to be able to go on Boards and pass the time away tbh :)

If I'm a feckin' eejit, well where does that leave you as you are obviously even lower on the evolutionary scale? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

BS, you've not applied to the super yet, so how would you know what his attitude is?
    And I think we've done enough of the playful joshing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

there's an ISSF fullbore competition which allows up to .38, so he could use his 9mm
    it's just that most 9mm pistols are nowhere near competitive at international standards

Tell me when and where ye're holding it and I think I know a few people who own these "uncompetitive" 9mm pistols who will come and show you you are wrong. I'll even bring the dreaded Uncompetitive Glock and kick some arse.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bananaman wrote: »
    Tell me when and where ye're holding it and I think I know a few people who own these "uncompetitive" 9mm pistols who will come and show you you are wrong. I'll even bring the dreaded Uncompetitive Glock and kick some arse.

B'Man

It won't be any time soon B'man, for a number of reasons:

We don't have a range to shoot them on; midlands tried a while ago and although the turning targets worked for a while, they didn't last the course and it became a bit of a mess. The course of fire is quite time sensitive for the competition, requiring a 3 second show of the target after a 7 second turn away, thirty times!

Marking on paper is also very time consuming and the targets are *very* expensive, so electronic targets are the only sane way of doing this and Rathdrum doesn't have authorisation for centre fire :(

You can try it yourself of course, if you can get a hold of the paper targets and have access to a 25m range. There's two stages, the precision stage uses the smaller target with a 100mm 10 ring and the rapid stage uses the larger 200mm 10 ring target.

Just take thirty shots in thirty minutes at the smaller target and thirty seperate shots in three seconds each at the larger one. remember that you shoot one handed, you can't raise the pistol before the three second count starts and you hold the pistol at 45 degrees down before the start.

That's all there is to it. ;)

Sparks wrote: »
    ......................And I think we've done enough of the playful joshing...

Hate to see if it gets serious :)

• Advertisement

So NTSA don't support anything above .22, like I said.

I shoot plenty of stuff single handed, both left and right, as do most shooters - 100mm at 25 yards in centrefire, I would not have tried - 200mm at 25 yards I would have though.

I'm not interested in organising the comps - that's the NTSAs job - I have enough on my plate with the sports I am already involved in - if NTSA had a comp I would give it a lash tho.

Just my tuppence worth.

B'Man

So NTSA don't support anything above .22, like I said.
    Sorry B'man, but that's just not true. The NTSA supported and helped midlands with the shoot that they ran last year, but unfortunately the equipment gave up and that's the reality. The NTSA don't own ranges nor do they have any input in their design or equipment. If a range was willing and able to run the competition, the NTSA would support it. In fact Fermoy have been talking about doing this and hopefully it will happen next year.
    I shoot plenty of stuff single handed, both left and right, as do most shooters - 100mm at 25 yards in centrefire, I would not have tried - 200mm at 25 yards I would have though.

I'm not interested in organising the comps - that's the NTSAs job - I have enough on my plate with the sports I am already involved in - if NTSA had a comp I would give it a lash tho.
    I wasn't suggesting you run a competition, I was suggesting that you could try and practice it yourself if you were interested, to see how you would fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I too would like to speak to the FCP on certain matters,which I am not going to go into here.But in person with a repersentative.Is this possible?
    In the page linked by Mr Mole above (http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Minister%20establishes%20Firearms%20Consultative%20Panel), there's a full(ish) list of the participants on the FCP.
    Do you know any of those individuals, or are you a member of any of the organisations they represent?
    That's where I'd start if I wanted to directly contact someone on the FCP.

The NTSA don't own ranges nor do they have any input in their design or equipment. If a range was willing and able to run the competition, the NTSA would support it

Sounds good - the way it should be - maybe some day .....

Sounds good - the way it should be - maybe some day .....

In the meantime, if you don't have a prejudice against .22 ;) you are welcome at any time to come to Rathdrum and have a go. Equipment provided for you if necessary.

• Advertisement

Been a while since I shot a plinker - ironically, last medal I won was for rimfire timed precision (two handed) - would need equip alright.

Will see one of the days.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Rovi wrote: »
    In the page linked by Mr Mole above (http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Minister%20establishes%20Firearms%20Consultative%20Panel), there's a full(ish) list of the participants on the FCP.
    Do you know any of those individuals, or are you a member of any of the organisations they represent?

Cheers Rovi.
    Just what the Doc orderd!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Been a while since I shot a plinker - ironically, last medal I won was for rimfire timed precision (two handed) - would need equip alright.

Will see one of the days.

B'Man
    Now B'man - please don't make the equation .22 = plinker :eek:
    Some of our .22 ISSF-style shooters would be deeply offended :D
    Seriously, though - as rrpc says - arrange to come down and give it a try.
    You can contact the secretary through http://www.rathdrumrpc.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

Quote, Sparks, "Actually I was working at the time".

Hopefully your employer (if you are not self employed) doesn't read Boards!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Interesting list, I see Ms Marie Ahern, Irish Sports Council is on the FCP, maybe at the FCP meetings she might be more likely to be helpful towards sorting out some of the problems that's going on within the shooting sports than she was at the ISC meeting with the NGBS last week.

Sikamick

Sikamick wrote: »

Interesting list, I see Ms Marie Ahern, Irish Sports Council is on the FCP, maybe at the FCP meetings she might be more likely to be helpful towards sorting out some of the problems that's going on within the shooting sports than she was at the ISC meeting with the NGBS last week.

Sikamick

Prob nothing to do with her ?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Prob nothing to do with her ?

Sorry bunny shooter but I don't want to go to deep into this here, but try and find out from people that you know as to what happened at the meeting last week between the SSAI/NGB'S and the Irish Sports Council and by the way she was there with the senior man from ISC.

Sikamick

Sikamick wrote: »
    Sorry bunny shooter but I don't want to go to deep into this here, but try and find out from people that you know as to what happened at the meeting last week between the SSAI/NGB'S and the Irish Sports Council and by the way she was there with the senior man from ISC.

Sikamick

Ya, but all my contacts are liars and trouble makers, apparently :D

I kinda know Sikamick tbh, but if you think I'm mentioning it here you're deluded, after my previous exploits here :eek: ;)

You could though :P

Mr Mole wrote: »
    Sparks, "Actually I was working at the time".
    Hopefully your employer (if you are not self employed) doesn't read Boards!:)
    You're misunderstanding me Mole - I wasn't working on my day job, I was working on a project for DURC at the time. You know how it is, you get your teeth into a problem and you just can't sleep till you've given it a good chewing.

You could though :P
    I'm not certain of whether or not it can be gone into without running afoul of the admin's rules. So hold off for a bit on that idea please.

• Advertisement

I'm not certain of whether or not it can be gone into without running afoul of the admin's rules. So hold off for a bit on that idea please.

aw you're such a spoil sport :p

No, the spoilsport is the guy who decided the best way to serve the shooting sports in Ireland was to sue the folks at boards.ie for daring to give us space on their servers for free and letting us create this little community.

No, the spoilsport is the guy who decided the best way to serve the shooting sports in Ireland was to sue the folks at boards.ie for daring to give us space on their servers for free and letting us create this little community.

:( some people just have no sense of hunour, some solicitors and barristers will be happy then :(

TBH probably better off leaving politics of it all outside otherwise Sparks and me might fall out, and we couldn't have that, as were such great friends now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

[*]The FCP has no official 'presence' here, and as far as we know, no individual members of the FCP are members here either (and even if they are, they are not in a position to provide information or responses in such capacity); so, please don't expect to get an 'official' response to any question or comment posted here.
    [/I]

Hi all,

I realise that the above applies, but I and others have enquired here if the FCP met recently and what the outcome was. No one even posted to confirm that a meeting took place. I had a look at the list of FCP members again and I've looked at the various shooting organisation's websites and I can find no updates. Some here on boards surely heard something, right?

I have sent emails to some of the official bodies but have had no response as yet.

I'm getting phone calls left right and centre from people to ask if there's any update on the pistol situation generally; I as are many others am awaiting guidance from those in the know. Some people have pistols on order, another has a half built range, some have invested blood sweat and tears in clubs that will simply have no function if some of the rumours going around are true.

Maybe there was no meeting or maybe the meeting was held in camera.

If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it. If someone has had a response and has been told to feck off I'd appreciate that info too, I'll pass the feck off on.........

PMs welcome, confidentiality assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

I'm guessin the DOJ is scratching its head, wondering whether its been offered enough.

Advertisement