Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Library Bald Power-tripping Librarian

Options
  • 29-10-2008 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Has anybody else had a run in with the bald power-tripping librarian in UCD?

I had one today, and I read in the unofficial UCD freshers guide from 2006 that he was doing it then.

What's up his ass?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

At least refer to him by his proper name!

I remember reading an interview with him in one of the college newspapers. He just wants to make the library a safe and productive place for students. He also enjoys music and reading in his spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DirtyPikey

enter librocop

one of a dying breed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

If you had a run in with him, chances are you were doing something you shouldn't.
    He doesn't pick on people because he enjoys it. Believe it or not, he does it to make the library a better place to study. I've always found him to be very reasonable.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

He's not a Librarian - he's the Librocop.

Actually I think he has a page on bebo - you can make friends with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

lol @ First Year . You have had ....... the pleasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

This thread is just like the "Who's that wierd bum around the place" one.

Librocops brilliant. He's the only reason why I don't throw things at people when I am in the library

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

He is a perfectly reasonable bloke. He is a bit intimidating but that just makes it easier to do his job. Smart alec students like yourself will know to never mess with him ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

He's a bit of a tit if your laptop cable is extended slightly in a walking space though. Cheers librocop, you really saved the day there by making me disconnect my plug, who knows whether or not someone was about to run by holding a knife in each hand and trip up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

He's an utter, utter tit. When it's early, no-one around me and I have a coffee he doesn't need to be a pr!ck about throwing it out. The laptop plug situation is also ridiculous, he actually acts as if he's saving lives by demanding people unplug them. Heaven forbid someone stupid enough not to see over a plug actually stumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Librocop's contribution to UCD can't be understated. We've seen what happened to the number 10 service and how it was curtailed. UCD is a lot like the hellmouth in Buffy. The campus is always on the brink of chaos and anarchy. Librocop however single-handedly keeps the balance in check, allowing us to experience a semblance of normality. He does this by taking on criminals, Commerce students demons, and all kinds of evil monsters.

Alas this tends to happen after college opening times and so you just get the impression he spends most of his day reminding students to put their bottled water away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Whatever about not letting you do stuff you're not supposed to do, I think the guy is a straight up dope.

Alarm went off as I went through before (even though I had no books in my bag) and he mumbled something resembling "come back around" at me. This is in the old days, before the turnstile things. So I started to walk around to the entrance bit, thinking you couldn't go back through the exit.
    He shouts at me (not in a nice way) to walk back through so I do (not very impressed with his attitude towards me at this point, but I didn't say anything).

So I walked back through and the alarm didn't go off. At this point there was a queue of people waiting behind me, and in front of all of them he says "Now, that wasn't so hard was it?" in a completely c**tish way. I said something like "Don't talk to me like that when I haven't done anything wrong" before leaving for fear that I'd kick him in the throat.

Power tripping git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

vote4pedro wrote: »
    He's an utter, utter tit. When it's early, no-one around me and I have a coffee he doesn't need to be a pr!ck about throwing it out.

It's a bloody library. Coffee isn't allowed in any library so why should UCD be any different? Regardless of who was around you, you're in a place filled with books, many of which are very expensive and often hard to replace. How hard is it to go outside to drink your coffee?
    The laptop plug situation is also ridiculous, he actually acts as if he's saving lives by demanding people unplug them. Heaven forbid someone stupid enough not to see over a plug actually stumbles.

When people walk through the library, often quickly, it's not completely absurd that they don't expect to have to dodge cables that aren't supposed to be there. Do you look down at your feet while you're walking? Probably not. Cables from laptops aren't exactly in your face.

It's not just about people hurting themselves. It actually protects you, the laptop user, as if someone does trip on it there could be damage done to your cable or your laptop could be dragged off the table and onto the floor. I saw it happen more than once durring my time in UCD.

The rules aren't there to piss you off, they're there for the benefit of everyone.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    When people walk through the library, often quickly, it's not completely absurd that they don't expect to have to dodge cables that aren't supposed to be there. Do you look down at your feet while you're walking? Probably not. Cables from laptops aren't exactly in your face.

It's not just about people hurting themselves. It actually protects you, the laptop user, as if someone does trip on it there could be damage done to your cable or your laptop could be dragged off the table and onto the floor. I saw it happen more than once durring my time in UCD.

The rules aren't there to piss you off, they're there for the benefit of everyone.
    so all steps and disparities in flooring should be smoothed down so people don't trip also? or should people just look down the aisle and see that there's a multitude of laptop users there and that they have plugs across the space and slightly elevate their foot as they pass to help (indirectly) ease the congestion of bona fide laptop spots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

griffdaddy wrote: »
    so all steps and disparities in flooring should be smoothed down so people don't trip also? or should people just look down the aisle and see that there's a multitude of laptop users there and that they have plugs across the space and slightly elevate their foot as they pass to help (indirectly) ease the congestion of bona fide laptop spots?

It's a library, people are often carrying bundles of books to and from their desk. If someone is carrying a stack of books, it isn't reasonable to expect them to be looking at the ground.
    They are not bona fide laptop spots. There are numerous signs in the library expressly stating that laptops shouldn't be plugged into those sockets.

Inglorious wrote: »
    It's a library, people are often carrying bundles of books to and from their desk. If someone is carrying a stack of books, it isn't reasonable to expect them to be looking at the ground.
    They are not bona fide laptop spots. There are numerous signs in the library expressly stating that laptops shouldn't be plugged into those sockets.
    It's a library, people need to use their laptop and there aren't enough spots. Anyone bringing a stack of books so big that they can't see over it is doing a disservice to their fellow students because they're clearly taking more than they need at that time and taking the books out of availability. I never said they were bona fide laptops spots, i said the opposite, read my post again. But despite all this technical arguing, eh, you're meant to look where you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

He's an utter, utter tit. When it's early, no-one around me and I have a coffee he doesn't need to be a pr!ck about throwing it out. The laptop plug situation is also ridiculous, he actually acts as if he's saving lives by demanding people unplug them. Heaven forbid someone stupid enough not to see over a plug actually stumbles.

Its called people suing the library. If someone were to drag your laptop to the ground because they tripped over the wire, you'd be pretty pissed off right and want something back for it?

3 years ago, during the poster race for the sabbatical elections I got talking to him and he was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I quite like Librocop's attitude.
    Keeps the really loud people in their box

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Redrover1999

Inglorious wrote: »
    If you had a run in with him, chances are you were doing something you shouldn't.
    He doesn't pick on people because he enjoys it. Believe it or not, he does it to make the library a better place to study. I've always found him to be very reasonable.

Wow! What's with all this defensive nonsense? I wasn't doing anything wrong. He thought I was but it became obvious that I wasn't and still his attitude was quite aggressive.

Griffdaddy, if you have a problem with Librocop take it up with services or the SU. Most people think he does a great job and if you were to get him sacked the protests in College will be bigger than the Fees march last week.

gubbie wrote: »
    Its called people suing the library. If someone were to drag your laptop to the ground because they tripped over the wire, you'd be pretty pissed off right and want something back for it?

3 years ago, during the poster race for the sabbatical elections I got talking to him and he was really nice.

Out of interest has there been cases of people suing, or threatening to sue the library?

There's a lot of sharp edges on the shelves on the library. If I was carrying a stack of books which for some bizarre reason covered my face, and then tripped over someone's schoolbag I could have an eye taken out. Something should be done.

• Advertisement

Out of interest has there been cases of people suing, or threatening to sue the library?

There's a lot of sharp edges on the shelves on the library. If I was carrying a stack of books which for some bizarre reason covered my face, and then tripped over someone's schoolbag I could have an eye taken out. Something should be done.

Yes! and those escalators are dangerous I think they should remove them because somebody could slip and die

It's a bloody library. Coffee isn't allowed in any library so why should UCD be any different? Regardless of who was around you, you're in a place filled with books, many of which are very expensive and often hard to replace. How hard is it to go outside to drink your coffee?

If I promise to put my water in a sippy cup can I come in to the big boys library? For Gods sake its a university library. Should there be a warning inside every book warning the reader not to have any liquids on their bedroom desk as many of the books are very expensive and often hard to replace.

It's a library, people need to use their laptop and there aren't enough spots. Anyone bringing a stack of books so big that they can't see over it is doing a disservice to their fellow students because they're clearly taking more than they need at that time and taking the books out of availability. I never said they were bona fide laptops spots, i said the opposite, read my post again. But despite all this technical arguing, eh, you're meant to look where you're going.

You may think they're hogging serivces but the fact of the matter is, they got there first and once they are within the limit of books allowed to them they are doing nothing wrong.

The only ones doing their fellow students a disservice are the ones using laptop cables in an area that they shouldn't be. I saw a stand-up row between two fellas in the library because one of the lads had his laptop plugged in across walkway and another guy was walking out quickly, caught the cable and dragged the laptop to the ground. The guy who owned the laptop started roaring at the second guy, called him every name under the sun and told him he'd be paying for a new laptop for him. This kind of crap causes trouble for the college. Yeah, yeah, we can all fob it off and say that the guy should have looked where he was going, but the fact of the matter is, the cable shouldn't have been there in the first place.

It sucks that there's not enough spaces for laptops but such is life. There's no need to give such a shítty attitude to the people who are just doing their job. That guy has to deal with lots of muppets on a daily basis who think it's their god given right to do whatever they like in the library, it's hardly surprising that he isn't a ray of sunlight every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Frisbee wrote: »
    I quite like Librocop's attitude.
    Keeps the really loud people in their box

Yep. The only time he's said anything to me was the first time I was in the library and had my laptop in the no laptop zone. I've never seen him being anything other than fair. And let's face it, there's a lot of loud, inconsiderate shítes in the library.

Plus, he provides the library with some mythology.

If I promise to put my water in a sippy cup can I come in to the big boys library? For Gods sake its a university library. Should there be a warning inside every book warning the reader not to have any liquids on their bedroom desk as many of the books are very expensive and often hard to replace.

You know what, it's about having respect for things that aren't yours. What if one of these "stupid" people tripped over your laptop cable and knocked your coffee over the books. Who pays for that? If they're on your card, you do.

There are signs everywhere that say no food ro drink in the library. They're there for a reason. You might think you know better but I'm going to go with the people who make the rules based on years of experience. But sure they're all just dickheads out to make life more difficult for you, right?

You may think they're hogging serivces but the fact of the matter is, they got there first and once they are within the limit of books allowed to them they are doing nothing wrong.

The only ones doing their fellow students a disservice are the ones using laptop cables in an area that they shouldn't be. I saw a stand-up row between two fellas in the library because one of the lads had his laptop plugged in across walkway and another guy was walking out quickly, caught the cable and dragged the laptop to the ground. The guy who owned the laptop started roaring at the second guy, called him every name under the sun and told him he'd be paying for a new laptop for him. This kind of crap causes trouble for the college. Yeah, yeah, we can all fob it off and say that the guy should have looked where he was going, but the fact of the matter is, the cable shouldn't have been there in the first place.

It sucks that there's not enough spaces for laptops but such is life. There's no need to give such a shítty attitude to the people who are just doing their job. That guy has to deal with lots of muppets on a daily basis who think it's their god given right to do whatever they like in the library, it's hardly surprising that he isn't a ray of sunlight every day.

Chinafoot is speaking sense. There are rules. Librocop does not make them, but he enforces them. He does a great job. If people want to trip people up with laptop wires, (has nearly happened to me 3 times) they should be fined like phone users are. All hail Librocop, keeping the library safe for all of us, even the non-believers:D

Well let me get a tissue to wipe the tears....

Seriously, I respect that he has to do his job and deal with dumbasses, but a affording somebody a basic level of dignity goes a LONG way.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I don't think it's necessary to treat people like troublesome drunkards when you ASSUME (wrongly) that they have made a mistake.

Maybe he does need to act the way he does but honestly, in the way he dealt with me, he struck me more as a bully than anything else...

Griffdaddy, if you have a problem with Librocop take it up with services or the SU. Most people think he does a great job and if you were to get him sacked the protests in College will be bigger than the Fees march last week.
    What? I didn't start this thread, I don't have a problem with him, just that laptop cable rule, and the particular incidences of which he enforces that rule. He kinda reminds me of Stapler from Law and Order SVU, so I have no real qualms :p

Actually, this is something the SU could fix very very easily, an electrician could do it in a day, all you'd have to do is run one power supply under the carpet or flooring and then have a central outlet or individual outlet at each cluster of desks or desk respectively. That's the way they did it in my Erasmus uni.

What? I didn't start this thread, I don't have a problem with him, just that laptop cable rule, and the particular incidences of which he enforces that rule. He kinda reminds me of Stapler from Law and Order SVU, so I have no real qualms :p

Actually, this is something the SU could fix very very easily, an electrician could do it in a day, all you'd have to do is run one power supply under the carpet or flooring and then have a central outlet or individual outlet at each cluster of desks or desk respectively. That's the way they did it in my Erasmus uni.

I must have misread. But he just follows the rules and he is not a qualified electrician. You actually should bring that up, your idea is quite good.

• Advertisement

Domo230 wrote: »
    Librocop, so the w***** who kicked me and my mate out of the library for having a 5 second conversation with them has a name. Literally only said hi and asked him what books he was taking out when librocop desides to show up all high and mighty and show us the exit.

3: Conduct

The Student Code which governs student activity also applies in the Library. The code is published in the Student Information Handbook.

* 3.1: Places may not be reserved in the reading rooms. Any place left unattended for longer than thirty minutes may be cleared by Library staff for use by another reader. The Library shall not be responsible for any property left unattended.
    * 3.2: Readers must not write on, mark or otherwise deface or destroy any books, materials, equipment or furnishings of the Library.
    * 3.3 The consumption of food or drink ( with the exception of bottled water) is not permitted nor may food or drink be left on desks or shelves.
    * 3.4.1 The use of mobile phones in the Library is permitted on condition that phones are set to silent. The taking or making of voice calls on mobile phones is strictly prohibited
    3.4.2 The use of portable media players in the Library is not permitted.
    * 3.5: Bags may be allowed into the Library at the discretion of Library staff, and may be searched at any time.
    * 3.6: With the exception of registered guide dogs, animals may not be brought into the Library.
    * 3.7: Silence must be observed as far as possible in all parts of the Library.
    * 3.8: Smoking in the Library is not permitted.
    * 3.9: The use of power plugs located on the ceiling is not permitted

Look at rule 3.7. You broke the rules so you paid the price.

Advertisement