Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Library Bald Power-tripping Librarian

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Why? you don't know who I am or what I look like so any ironically comedic or just deserts value would be unavailable to you, even if you were by chance present. I hope you have a good education and don't forever wish for objects to move into other objects and fall over
    :rolleyes: You're so clever
    Unless you own a MacBook, because Apple have already thought of that happening and developed the Magnetic adaptor.
    Ya, but it's balanced out by the fact that you paid money for a macbook :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

33% God wrote: »
    Ya, but it's balanced out by the fact that you paid money for a macbook :p
    Money very well spent. Trust me, I'm a doctor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

33% God wrote: »
    :rolleyes: You're so clever
    would you prefer if i obeyed the charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Librocop gets respect because he draws a line in the sand and enforces it, no matter how minor, which is pretty rare in Ireland as a whole now where laizzez-faire is usually the order of the day....

What pisses people off is being hauled up for minor infractions which of course they consider too trivial for them to be spoken to about, but Steph put her finger on it and it should be familiar to anyone who has ever done any kind of supervisory work - Walking past a problem, no matter how minor, is giving it the OK.

If he walks past a laptop user with a cable trailing out into the walkway and says nothing, he's saying OK thats fine. Half an hour later there's a cats cradle of cables and someones expensive bit of kit smashed on the floor... Who's to blame?

Though of course, he does have a famously tough-cop style of dealing with offenders... :D

@Stepherunie "Nope, not at all, in fact water is allowed in all lecture theatres, and indeed in the library."

I have a feeling that this policy is only in Health Sciences, Arts has a blanket ban that is largely ignored... Though from the amount of coffee stains and food ground into the floor, there doesn't seem to be much enforcement of the rules in Health Sciences either.

Rules enforcement is a bit of a current affairs issue for UCD at the moment, one reason for all the venom in this thread? Countdown to bans/lock begins now... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Librocop gets respect because he draws a line in the sand and enforces it, no matter how minor, which is pretty rare in Ireland as a whole now where laizzez-faire is usually the order of the day....

Oh sweet lord. Some of the posts here are just incredible.

• Advertisement

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Oh sweet lord. Some of the posts here are just incredible.

Discuss.

And an eye-roll smiley doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Maybe he does need to act the way he does but honestly, in the way he dealt with me, he struck me more as a bully than anything else...

You could tell us what exactly you did
    I am really amazed by the complete....dweebiness of some posts in this thread.
    I'm not in kindergarten, I don't need a lecture in respect for things that aren't mine. I am perfectly able of using a book, brining it home, using food or liquids around it and returning it safely. It's not that hard, students don't have problems with it. For the love of God we are grown ups in a university library, we can be trusted with bringing books home for gods sake.

Accidents happen and a cup of tea spilled over a book will damage it
    I'm not talking about lifting enforcement, I'm talking about him using a little more common sense. Yes you're not allowed coffee in the library. But if its some guy taking the last few swigs of something with no one else around him as he gets back to hitting the books, you don't have to grab it off him. If someone is having a picnic with coffee, a roll, a few donuts etc, then obviously tell them not to eat there.
    Similarily you dont have to put an innocent phone under a piece of paper to make yourself feel cool, but by all means kick out the people chatting away on their phone. With thousands of students there will be noise, people clearly whispering about a book or something similar don't need to be warned by some jumped up nobody to shut up. People who are having a full blown discussion about yesterday's match should quite obviously be warned or asked to leave.

Surely you've heard these conversations? 95% of the time its people "Hey how are you? How was your weekend... bla bla bla". It's not a social space.

gubbie wrote: »

Accidents happen and a cup of tea spilled over a book will damage it

So could a bottle of water, which people are saying are allowed in the library. So could bringing the book outside the library only to drop it in a puddle. So could leaving it in a schoolbag which has a bottle of water which could seep out. For the love of god, we're grown ups. Yes things may spill, but the chances are they wont. Its like you're all in primary school again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

griffdaddy wrote: »
    would you prefer if i obeyed the charter?
    Be very, very careful.

EDIT: Goddam you raphael and your ninja-editing.

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Discuss.

And an eye-roll smiley doesn't count.

"Librocop gets respect because he draws a line in the sand and enforces it, no matter how minor, which is pretty rare in Ireland as a whole now where laizzez-faire is usually the order of the day...."

Firstly you say Librocop gets respect because he draws a line in the sand, I found that part of your post laughable. He's a library employee asked to keep things orderly. Not Jack Bauer.
    When you tried to draw a link between the attitude of a library worker to the social ills of the nation as a whole rather hilariously awful.

• Advertisement

I did obey the charter, I didn't insult him at all, he didn't like my answer which was firm but polite, and then i asked him if he'd prefer if i'd been outright rude. To be honest that infraction is complete nonsense. And then telling someone their full of shít isn't an insult, it's a comment on their opinion. If i'd said, 'you're talking nonsense' there'd be no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

So could a bottle of water, which people are saying are allowed in the library. So could bringing the book outside the library only to drop it in a puddle. So could leaving it in a schoolbag which has a bottle of water which could seep out. For the love of god, we're grown ups. Yes things may spill, but the chances are they wont. Its like you're all in primary school again.
    There's a line. People know where it is and have the maturity to stay behind it. If it gets blurred, you get gob****es acting like gob****es and stupid things happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Does the charter allow for a thread, that serves no other purpose but to insult and denigrate someone, to go on for 5 pages?

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Does the charter allow for a thread, that serves no other purpose but to insult and denigrate someone, to go on for 5 pages?
    i agree, this should have been locked long ago. Although the argument about the laptop cables was fun while it lasted and could possibly be edited to a thread on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Firstly theres been as many ppl on this thread saying they'er glad librocop is there to do the job he does as there are morons.

Secondly, INCREASE THE NUMBER OF POSTS YOU DISPLAY PER PAGE :p

"Librocop gets respect because he draws a line in the sand and enforces it, no matter how minor, which is pretty rare in Ireland as a whole now where laizzez-faire is usually the order of the day...."

Firstly you say Librocop gets respect because he draws a line in the sand, I found that part of your post laughable. He's a library employee asked to keep things orderly. He's not Jack Bauer

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it. What is amusing (and awesome) about Librocop is the fact that he is indeed only charged with enforcing minor library regulations - but he goes about it as though he IS Jack Bauer and without a trace of irony or self-conciousness.

vote4pedro wrote:
    When you tried to draw a link between the attitude of a library worker to the social ills of the nation as a whole rather hilariously awful.

I didn't mention our social ills anywhere nor try to link this thread to them, I'm afraid that you are leaping to conclusions. My point is that his attitude and refusal to compromise are very rare and so stand out. Why do you think he's been an object of fascination for so long?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I don't see why people get so upset about him. He told me to shut up once, that's because I was making a racket. So he was perfectly right. People who complain when the rules are enforced belong in school, not a university.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Redrover1999

gubbie wrote: »

I didn't do anything; I was one of about three people in the exit when the alarm went off (for no reason).

Red Alert wrote: »
    I don't see why people get so upset about him. He told me to shut up once, that's because I was making a racket. So he was perfectly right. People who complain when the rules are enforced belong in school, not a university.

You obviously haven't read this thread at all. I don't take issue with the rules being enforced, it's his ATTITUDE and DEMEANOR (power-tripping and aggressive).

Also, I hadn't broken any rules anyway.

Maybe he needs to be an asshole to some people to do his job, but there's no excuse to be like that to everyone.

I think Irish people in general seem to think it's okay to be rude to people they don't know.

This may sound clichéd but I honestly wonder how foreigners think of Irish people when they come here. People seem a lot more polite and respectful in other countries

Manners cost nothing and make a BIG difference.

Maybe I should not have mentioned the fact that he was bald in the thread title, but the purpose of this thread was definitely not to insult him.

(Bald is descriptive anyway - he just happens to be bald and by mentioning it we know who we're talking about)

Librocop is apparently a UCD institution and not just "someone". We all know him and in case you haven't noticed, many people are defending him and of the others, we are just questioning his attitidue.

It's a rather cheap tactic to imply that the thread is to insult him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

This may sound clichéd but I honestly wonder how foreigners think of Irish people when they come here.
    I've been told by a Malaysian classmate that we're very polite actually, especially around UCD. Of particular note was the fact that we hold doors open for people the whole time.

He's probably rude because if he's not then people don't take him seriously. I don't find him rude, just firm and he won't negotiate the rules.

Firstly theres been as many ppl on this thread saying they'er glad librocop is there to do the job he does as there are morons.

Secondly, INCREASE THE NUMBER OF POSTS YOU DISPLAY PER PAGE :p
    I have 20 posts per page, I wasn't logged in when I counted.
    Maybe I should not have mentioned the fact that he was bald in the thread title, but the purpose of this thread was definitely not to insult him.

(Bald is descriptive anyway - he just happens to be bald and by mentioning it we know who we're talking about)

Librocop is apparently a UCD institution and not just "someone". We all know him and in case you haven't noticed, many people are defending him and of the others, we are just questioning his attitidue.

It's a rather cheap tactic to imply that the thread is to insult him.
    So, because he's an 'institution' ergo you can say anything you feel about him, rather than if he wasn't considered an institution, say, like a random member of staff, you couldn't spout off whatever wanted? When you say you know someone that doesn't equivilate to: I met him once, he gave out to me, ergo we're good buds so I can rip on him all I want.

Also, "we are just questioning his attitidue[sic]." Riiight... So this is people just questioning his attitude:

"He's a bit of a tit"

"He's an utter, utter tit."

"I think the guy is a straight up dope."

"So I walked back through and the alarm didn't go off. At this point there was a queue of people waiting behind me, and in front of all of them he says "Now, that wasn't so hard was it?" in a completely c**tish way. I said something like "Don't talk to me like that when I haven't done anything wrong" before leaving for fear that I'd kick him in the throat. Power tripping git."

"Maybe he needs to be an asshole"

you can remove my 'he's a bit of a tit' from that list of quotations as you quoted it out of context, had you left the whole sentence in the quotation it would have been clear i was talking about his attitude in relation to one specific thing. When did people become so PC in the UCD Forum? It seems to be no longer in anyway a reflection of actual UCD students and is becoming a closely-knit group of people who are so eager to appear 'mature' or 'responsible' that they invent problems where there are none.

I have 20 posts per page, I wasn't logged in when I counted.

So, because he's an 'institution' ergo you can say anything you feel about him, rather than if he wasn't considered an institution, say, like a random member of staff, you couldn't spout off whatever wanted? When you say you know someone that doesn't equivilate to: I met him once, he gave out to me, ergo we're good buds so I can rip on him all I want.

I'm not sure what exactly you are taking issue with.

Can we not complain about anybody now? Is it the tone of the complaints you don't like?

People don't like his attitude, they are going to say so and it's not unreasonable to do so. Do you think we should be censored just because you disagree with us?

What I find strange is that the librarian feels no restraint in acting like an asshole (Yes I said it!), yet when people dare to complain, they are drowned out by a chorus of the most dogmatic, pontificating idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You're singling out someone who is not a public figure but is just someone privately doing their job.

If you want to make a complaint, do it in the correct way. Have a bit of cop on and display a bit of integrity and social awareness.

An internet forum is not the place.

Are some people so amazingly dry and boring that there is a need to close threads when something negative is said about anybody at all? Here's a bloke who clearly loves his 'infamous' relationship with students, revels in it in fact (see the hilarious phone hiding anecdote) and the worst quote you can drag up is him being called a tit. Is that really a cause for concern? I mean come on, there's being a dry shíte and there's being an incredibly dry shíte.

I'm not sure what exactly you are taking issue with.

Can we not complain about anybody now? Is it the tone of the complaints you don't like?

People don't like his attitude, they are going to say so and it's not unreasonable to do so. Do you think we should be censored just because you disagree with us?

What I find strange is that the librarian feels no restraint in acting like an asshole (Yes I said it!), yet when people dare to complain, they are drowned out by a chorus of the most dogmatic, pontificating idiots.
    Who is 'us'? Note that this isn't your first issue with someone apparently being on a power-trip, so maybe you simply have a problem with any sense of authority. If people are just stating that he's rude and unprofessional in his job that's fine, in my opinion--but don't assume that personal attacks, and polite remarks on someone's professional approach to their job, are the one in the same.
    Are some people so amazingly dry and boring that there is a need to close threads when something negative is said about anybody at all? Here's a bloke who clearly loves his 'infamous' relationship with students, revels in it in fact (see the hilarious phone hiding anecdote) and the worst quote you can drag up is him being called a tit. Is that really a cause for concern? I mean come on, there's being a dry shíte and there's being an incredibly dry shíte.
    As opposed to someone playing keyboard-warrior on an internet forum about a member of staff? There's no need to have a thread dedicated to denigrating someone, that's what this was approaching (and it looks like people still want to continue with it.)
    Sean_K wrote: »
    You're singling out someone who is not a public figure but is just someone privately doing their job.

If you want to make a complaint, do it in the correct way. Have a bit of cop on and display a bit of integrity and social awareness.

An internet forum is not the place.
    +1

If I was the librocop I'd be just like him.

• Advertisement

As opposed to someone playing keyboard-warrior on an internet forum about a member of staff? There's no need to have a thread dedicated to denigrating someone, that's what this was approaching (and it looks like people still want to continue with it.)

Oh for Gods sake, I've said it before in this thread but the dweebiness of boards.ie appears to have reached a new low. How am I keyboard warrior? I called a bloke who works in a library a bit of a tit. I have no huge gripe with him, I just think he's a bit of a tit the way he carries on and tries to play up to his reputation amongst the Belfield obsessed. If you are going to take offense at that on his behalf and report posts and demands threads to be closed because someone gets called a tit then well....

What next
    "I just got a manky roll from 911"
    "Take that back, the 911 food chain is a reputable business, how dare you demonise them on an internet forum, show a little more integrity from now on. Reported!"

Advertisement