Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum/Roxy/Preachers

• 29-10-2008 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Was back down to Waterford recently and noticed that the forum has gone, well, er a bit on the young side. Seems all the old timers like myself have moved off to Electric Avenue.

There could be something up about this already but sticking up a post for everyone that has memories of The Forum (hazy at best, lost forever at worst), stick em up here!! Mine probably playing a gig at the first ressurection, place was wedged, some laugh, just remember everybody being packed into stage 2! Also sitting in the place at about 11.00 when it was empty beside two of us and my friend dancing in the middle of the dance floor on his own to Groove Armada, which Louie stuck on for him!!

Also stick up any memories of the Roxy up here too!! Definitely, definietly trying to get in before 10 or something, sitting in the front bar and then getting in when the curtain opened (best way of avoiding the bouncers, they didn't start until 9 so u got in before that), black russians and tequila sunrises for a quid!!

Actually anyone with any memories of old clubs stick em up. Ah Preachers and a quid a drink on Sunday nights, probably responsible for a liver transplant in my near future.

Yes I know I'm showing my age!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I played at the second resurrection.... I think.

Yeah, too many kids about these days. I feel old..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Half of them look far to young to be in The Forum tbh. I actually stopped a person and asked them their age once - they said 18. Dont believe em. I like EA but its a bit to noisy for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The forum is grand. A place to get absolutely hammered and not give a rats about conforming to society!

I worked in preachers back in the day. Pisshole, vomit in every corner after every night. Fights every night. OVercrowding on thursdays & saturdays.. A filthy hellhole. But I loved every minute of it!

Work a few nights in Club LA too as Liam Crothy owned both places at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

dlofnep wrote: »
    The forum is grand. A place to get absolutely hammered and not give a rats about conforming to society!

I worked in preachers back in the day. Pisshole, vomit in every corner after every night. Fights every night. OVercrowding on thursdays & saturdays.. A filthy hellhole. But I loved every minute of it!

Work a few nights in Club LA too as Liam Crothy owned both places at the time.

It would appear we have something in common. :pac: I worked in the Junction/Rhythm Room and did the odd night and morning up in Preachers. They were such s***holes but I actually really miss it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sully wrote: »
    Half of them look far to young to be in The Forum tbh. I actually stopped a person and asked them their age once - they said 18. Dont believe em. I like EA but its a bit to noisy for my liking.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• Advertisement

Breens way back in the day, where it was the place you could get into when you were 16. Irish bands such as Engine Alley, The Pale, Golden Horde, The Stunning and others playing on a rotating weekly basis. Followed by a standard disco and grub from the K-Recipe on O Connell Street later.

After a year or so it was onto Flow Motion over Egans, with the occasional trip down to The Metroland. Lots of nights in The Roxy with DJ Louie and later again with Plasticworld (forerunner to Musiklab). Some nights had in Preachers as well, when they had dance nights. Also a few crackers in the Junction.

The Forum was great for a couple of years. Musiklab and Shakedown and all the nights they had. Some massive massive DJ's. I remember when Musiklab started out and the place still had the big round tables and chairs downstairs, it wasl ike going to a debs or something. The highlights up there were the huge musiklab and shakedown crossover nights when the whole place was opened up and stuff like tha Shakedown Halloween nights.

It went downhill fast when Luke and Shaun and the rest of the Shakedown/Musiklab crew left.

All that 'going out' lark is behind me now though :(. Old fart here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Adyx wrote: »
    It would appear we have something in common. :pac: I worked in the Junction/Rhythm Room and did the odd night and morning up in Preachers. They were such s***holes but I actually really miss it too.

Ah Ady :( Those were the days. As terrible as they were, there was always a good craic to be had working in a nightclub. If you were lucky, you'd get a day job in the pulpit.. If you had 2 customers all day, you'd be doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Pitchers in Trumps ... that is all :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

KevIRL wrote: »
    Breens way back in the day, where it was the place you could get into when you were 16. Irish bands such as Engine Alley, The Pale, Golden Horde, The Stunning and others playing on a rotating weekly basis. Followed by a standard disco and grub from the K-Recipe on O Connell Street later.

Aah...bliss! The good ol' days dancing away to the late great Darren O'Sullivan. A trip to Fat Sams was always a pre-requisite too.

On the student nights, you could (safely) walk into Breens from home, pay £3 to get in, 30p for the coat, £1.65 for a pint of Smithwicks and then dance the rest of the night, walking home (safely) freezing cold from the sweat still dripping!

I believe a pair of my shoes are still stuck to the carpet in Breens :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 screwtape

Ah the Shakedown/Musiklab crossover nights, they were the biz!! So was downstairs, it was always really weird to be in there with all the tables and chairs, kind of felt like a function! Anyone remember getting the Shakedown CD (which in no way infringed upon any royalties) at one of it's birthday does!! Go on Tommy Boy!!!!

Actually have to admit being worried, there's a lot of people here who have probably encountered me in various states of sobriety!:D

As for The Forum going downhill, a restaraunt, a ****ing restaurant, I nearly had to get the paddles when the lads told me!!!

• Advertisement

KingLoser wrote: »

Yeah, playing resurrection was always a touch dodgy when it comes to remembering it! Who were ya playing with?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

KevIRL wrote: »
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Was about to say that...what the hell like

Was about to say that...what the hell like

Here's how I picture it happening

Sully : Hey you there, stop.
    Youngster : Whadda want mister?
    Sully : I'm not sure you be be in here tonight, how old are you?
    Youngster : What the fukk? Are you a bouncer?
    Sully : No.
    Youngster : Well who the fukk are you to ask me my age
    Sully : I'm a big player on the internet you know. Your banned

"Hey you there, stop!!"

That's definitely the way I remember many a conversation starting in the forum.

Along with "Here, you're wha'is face" and "Well boy, any yokes?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

screwtape wrote: »
    "Well boy, any yokes?!"

more like "well boy, any bangers?"

Has this gone so far "off topic" that theres gonna be a postedit/banfest very shortly? IBTL as they say...

Back on topic for safetys sake... i was in the forum last saturday and it just made me sick to be there, dont know what it was. Maybe the fact that its the only place in town with half decent people and its STILL the same craic every every week.

Without fail gach sathairn: chemical brothers - do it again, the MGMT album! "put your hands up put your hands up", hot chip - over and over and over... marilyn manson - beautiful people, rage against the machine - killing in the name of

Fair play to em for opening the loft up there though, was needed when EA's one closed

Yep, well boy any bangers sounds really, really familiar too.

Was in The Forum myself a while ago, felt pretty bloody weird, was there with people I don't really know, sound though! I think it was just that I remember going to The Forum when the likes of Jamie and Blly and the lads from Cassidy were kind of the furniture up there, the elder states men of all things Waterford music! Kind of felt like that that night, a bit out of place!!

Still though The Chemical Brothers Sunshine Underground, you know when that comes on you have exactly 32 minutes left of drinking time, you can set your watch by it and then it's time for those big stadium lights when you get to look at everyone and realise how much better it was when it was dark!!!

True yeah, everyone dancin like maniacs, lights slowly come on, people start calmin down n walkin away from each other heh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

dlofnep wrote: »
    Ah Ady :( Those were the days. As terrible as they were, there was always a good craic to be had working in a nightclub. If you were lucky, you'd get a day job in the pulpit.. If you had 2 customers all day, you'd be doing well.

Two customers?? Psshh, I often worked 3 to 11, Monday to Wednesday in the Junction with no customers. I had the big screen for watching the Simpsons, a pool table and a young wan in Davy Macs for company though so it was all good!! As for the craic in a nightclub, its nowhere near as much fun now but it still has its moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Good god I miss the forum,

Have to make do with harvey's now which seems to be everything the Fourm went against :D. I remeber it was like nearly impossible to get thrown out of there for being too drunk. The only time we got thrown out was when a couple of us tried to race three tables accross the dancefloor (it was a daft as it sounds). TBF I made it a good third of the way!

Preachers I only ever went too on student nights and was in no other terms a Kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

KingLoser wrote: »

depends on what you call old.. :pac: Anyone 20+ is grand I think but there is lots of kids in there.. about 16 -17 id say(you would see the same kids around town and thats the age they look then)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Anyone there for the Halloween Ball?? Wanted to know who won the fancy dress!! Sure BA with the snickers bar was gonna win (think his name was Kev)! I was there but eh, er, not in mind unfortunately!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've been racking my brains but cannot think of the nightclub that I went to when I'd visit Waterford back in the late 80's, early 90's, it was in O'Connell Street, same side as the post office.

We usually went there or else the Peppermint Grove down in the Bridge Hotel and then finished up in the Chuck Wagon.

deisemum wrote: »
    I've been racking my brains but cannot think of the nightclub that I went to when I'd visit Waterford back in the late 80's, early 90's, it was in O'Connell Street, same side as the post office.

We usually went there or else the Peppermint Grove down in the Bridge Hotel and then finished up in the Chuck Wagon.

That was the Roxy. Back then it would have been called something else, which Im racking my brains to remember now. It'll come to me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

the stone court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I was far too young for the roxy back in its hayday! Sickened really. All we have now is the forum and it's not that great anymore. Full of eejits and people that make me feel like a granny....Which is bad cos I'm only a sprog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

longshanks wrote: »
    the stone court?

Cheers, that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

screwtape wrote: »
    Anyone there for the Halloween Ball?? Wanted to know who won the fancy dress!! Sure BA with the snickers bar was gonna win (think his name was Kev)! I was there but eh, er, not in mind unfortunately!!

I was there as the backwards man from freddy got fingered :D It was packed though so it just kinda ruined it a wee bit.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Sully wrote: »
    Half of them look far to young to be in The Forum tbh. I actually stopped a person and asked them their age once - they said 18. Dont believe em.
    Are you serious? :pac::pac::pac::pac:
    I hope you reported said person to the nearest bouncer and filed a full report with the Gardai and gave your teacher a nice big shiney apple and told her that you heard one of the big boys say the f word in the yard.
    Ill feel alot safer in Waterford this christmas knowing that you are policing the streets! :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha ha. If someone who wasnt a bouncer stopped me asking me age id smack em. Cheeky old man

Advertisement