Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal implications if publish letter of complaint?

Options
  • 29-10-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I couldn't find an open legal forum, and this one looked the best bet.

The context is that I've sent a formal(ish) letter of complaint to Eircom (about the quality of my phone line). It's my first communication on this matter (apart from the normal ringing up to log a fault), and I haven't had the first response yet (the 10 business days for them to respond is still running).

I was wondering about attaching the letter to a posting in the Ireland Offline forum, in case it helps any others complaining to Eircom to think of points they might be able to make.

Would it be leaving me, or Boards.ie, open to being sued for libel? It's all true (and provable), and quite polite (considering!). Or would it just be like an open letter to someone/some organisation, printed in a newspaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Was the letter you posted to Eircom marked as being an open letter, or was it solely addressed to Eircom?

If it was not clearly marked as being an open letter, then you should not post the details contained.

Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Fogmatic wrote: »
    I couldn't find an open legal forum, and this one looked the best bet.

The context is that I've sent a formal(ish) letter of complaint to Eircom (about the quality of my phone line). It's my first communication on this matter (apart from the normal ringing up to log a fault), and I haven't had the first response yet (the 10 business days for them to respond is still running).

I was wondering about attaching the letter to a posting in the Ireland Offline forum, in case it helps any others complaining to Eircom to think of points they might be able to make.

Would it be leaving me, or Boards.ie, open to being sued for libel? It's all true (and provable), and quite polite (considering!). Or would it just be like an open letter to someone/some organisation, printed in a newspaper?
    There would be no problem as long as you do not mention anyone personally. Ask a mod in the Ireland offline forum if he/she is ok with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Have already responded by PM, but it's fine to post in IoffL if you want provided it is true, as you say, and you don't publish personal details that are not in the public domain (in that context).

You might be better waiting until the formal complaint procedure has been exhausted (to be seen to be giving eircom a fair chance of reply) first? I don't know, I can see arguments for and against that, so I'll leave it up to yourself!

Advertisement