Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminist Pop

Options
  • 29-10-2008 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've decided to create this thread because I really need a place to rant :mad: and trust me, this will be lengthy ;). This whole "feminist pop" **** has just become ridiculous. Absolutley ****ing ridiculous... I'm talking about the likes of Katy Perry and now that Beyonce one as well. My reasons for doing this? Because I'm forced to listen to the ****ing things every single hour of the day in work...

Lets look at Katy Perry first. The first song was patethic ****, but my main gripe is that new one she has. From the lyrics I've been tortured with (about 100 times in the past week) I take it that she is saying something about her "bipolar" boyfriend being "no good for her"...and she's right. The only thing good enough for Katy Perry is a very hard ****in slap.. I haven't figured it all out yet, but its your average run of the mill bra burning attack on men - again. I'm hoping that she disapears up her own arse sooner rather than later.

And then the Beyonce song, "If I was a boy". If you were a boy beyonce, you wouldn't be called Beyonce and you'd have a set of balls. Thats what it would be like if you were a boy...but no, Ms Jay Z decides to psychologically profile every single man on the planet and delivers yet another "tar brush" track. I personally think if I wrote a song called "If I was a girl" in the same style there would be uproar. Its just a pity the male songwriters can only write ballads cooing about women, while the females just seem intent on creating this manish image for themselves.

So what is it?? Why has music been allowed to become a platform for this feminist bile? Have women nothing better to talk about these days, or are they going to continue spouting this superficial manbitch **** for the forseeable future?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Are all these songs writen by women?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

A part of me really hopes so....what kind of man could possibly lower himself to writing that stuff, and still call himself a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Here, OP. Dya ever listen to any rap do ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Eh. I can relate. I was on the bus today when some dick (young girl) put on 'I Kissed a Girl' and I wanted to put a drill to my temples. Both of them, at the same time. But what really pissed me off was that I knew the lyrics.
    You know when something is distracting you you can't help but listen to it even if you're trying to phase it out? Well that was happening and I ended up pre-empting the lyrics in my head. Then as soon as that bag of crap ended (and this is one thing that doesn't happen on the cursed radio) that girl just puts it on again.
    I couldn't complain really as she didn't have it on loud.
    'Us girls we are so magical'. What? **** off. Thanks.

I don't care especially about the sexist attitudes towards men with this stuff but it is becoming a bit of a trend and it should not be an acceptable thing to do. The degredation of society continues.

Ps. Rap is ****e. (imo;))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

And how many rap albums have you listened to Sandor?

• Advertisement

Enough. I'm sure you can respect my views? :)
    Let's not de-rail the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

You might want to do some reading up on what 'feminism' actually means before you start calling songs by Katy Perry 'feminist'. You're confusing 'feminist' with 'performed by a woman'. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the OP meant sexist rather than femenist. Femenists wanting to be equal to men, and sexists being pigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

DarkJager might want to listen to Le Tigre for some real feminist (synth) pop - and there's plenty more where they came from!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

HEESUS... Did that one fly right over your head Sandor?

Dark Jager and Sandor, you're giving out about dross lyrics about some auld bints moaning on because they broke up with their latest boyfriend or are sick of men or watevz. But oh no, OMG! noo! no! FEMINIZM! THEY IZ OUT TEW GET YOUZ!!!1!!1!!

My advice: go away and read some rampantly sexist yet rampantly popular rap lyrics and majorly re-assess your narrow minded, ill informed views.

Alot of pop music is pretty moany anyway, whether it's "feminist" or not, or whether it's sung by a woman or not. :rolleyes:

Now...i'm off to set up a Feminist Pop band, apparently it's the new big thing.....

• Advertisement

Sandor wrote: »
    Enough. I'm sure you can respect my views? :)
    Let's not de-rail the thread.

Now now, don't dodge the question. Name the albums. I'm sure you wouldn't hate upon a whole genre of music without extensive listening of said genre. ;)

Knowing DarkJager, I'm sure he'll want you to explain your problem with rap music.

Orizio wrote: »
    Now now, don't dodge the question. Name the albums. I'm sure you wouldn't hate upon a whole genre of music without extensive listening of said genre. ;)

Knowing DarkJager, I'm sure he'll want you to explain your problem with rap music.

If I don't like a genre why would I give it extensive listening? My comment was off the cuff and should be considered as such. I seem to have touched a nerve with you Orizio. My 'problem' would be that I do not like it. Different people like different things and I'm entitled to air my views, whether rather bluntly or otherwise. That's that as far as I'm concerned.

As far as Anarchos post goes, I said: "I don't care especially about the sexist attitudes..." Sexist, not femenist so scratch that. I also said I didn't care especially about the issue the OP raised but that I understood what he was saying. Finally, yes I am complaining about over produced dross. Something wrong with that? Or complaining about a specific part of it? Talk about OTT.

I'm out of this thread. No problem with you Orizio, I would defend the music I like, sorry you took my comment to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Eh. I can relate. I was on the bus today when some dick (young girl) put on 'I Kissed a Girl' and I wanted to put a drill to my temples. Both of them, at the same time. But what really pissed me off was that I knew the lyrics.
    You know when something is distracting you you can't help but listen to it even if you're trying to phase it out? Well that was happening and I ended up pre-empting the lyrics in my head. Then as soon as that bag of crap ended (and this is one thing that doesn't happen on the cursed radio) that girl just puts it on again.
    I couldn't complain really as she didn't have it on loud.
    'Us girls we are so magical'. What? **** off. Thanks.

I don't care especially about the sexist attitudes towards men with this stuff but it is becoming a bit of a trend and it should not be an acceptable thing to do. The degredation of society continues.

Ps. Rap is ****e. (imo;))

I don't remember everyone calling ''All the Things She Said'' by TaTu 'sexist towards men' - it was 'omgz they are hot schoolgirl lesbians!'. Don't see how 'I Kissed A Girl' is offensive, really.

If anything, the likes of Katy Perry and Beyonce would actually be more sexist towards women considering their lyrics and videos are designed mostly for men's titillation.

If I don't like a genre why would I give it extensive listening? My comment was off the cuff and should be considered as such. I seem to have touched a nerve with you Orizio. My 'problem' would be that I do not like it. Different people like different things and I'm entitled to air my views, whether rather bluntly or otherwise. That's that as far as I'm concerned.

As far as Anarchos post goes, I said: "I don't care especially about the sexist attitudes..." Sexist, not femenist so scratch that. I also said I didn't care especially about the issue the OP raised but that I understood what he was saying. Finally, yes I am complaining about over produced dross. Something wrong with that? Or complaining about a specific part of it? Talk about OTT.

I'm out of this thread. No problem with you Orizio, I would defend the music I like, sorry you took my comment to heart.

Excellent. I'm glad you admit you are one of those people that knows nothing about Hip-Hop, but will happily hate it anyway because its the popular thing to do. Deeply superficial ignorant way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Acacia wrote: »
    Don't see how 'I Kissed A Girl' is offensive, really.

It's an offence on music and my ears.

I think when some people hear 'bitch' uttered in hip hop they think it means every woman in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Orizio wrote: »
    Excellent. I'm glad you admit you are one of those people that knows nothing about Hip-Hop, but will happily hate it anyway because its the popular thing to do. Deeply superficial ignorant way of thinking.

Hmmm I would have thought liking hip hop was the popular thing the do given its commercial success over the last decade or so.

Anyway, the problem I have with songs like that Katy Perry one is the message it portrays. I was watching an evening chat show here the other week and Perry was singing the song live. Now there were all sorts of young impressionable pre-adolescents in the crowd singing along to the latest bubblegum pop. All well and good.....until you see a close up of some 11 year gyrating while mouthing "I kissed a girl and I liked it". Surely that's not right.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hmmm I would have thought liking hip hop was the popular thing the do given its commercial success over the last decade or so.

Hip Hop is a niche like electronic and metal. Very little of the good stuff gets commercial success. In fact it would be hard to consider any of the successful stuff even hip hop. It would be like saying Fall Out Boy is great Alternative music.

If you rate the entire genre of hip hop/rap on the likes of what you hear on the radio, you are sorely misguided. And the use of the word bitch in rap isn't generally targetting the entire female race. There is no rapper alive who will spend 3-4 minutes whining about an ex, or how he's "too good" for his woman.

Thats the part that really gets on my nerves. Women have gained a lot of equality and everyone can agree that they are now a lot better off than lets say 20 years ago. But these pop muppets just seem to keep pushing it, always wanting to stick the knife in a little bit further. Have a listen to the radio at some stage today and just listen to the female artists and the subjects of their songs - they are all nearly identical, whinging about men in some way or other. Its ****ing patethic..

I don't see how any man could be "titillated" by the likes of Katy Perry. She's nothing special at all in terms of looks or songwriting (even though she thinks she is). I'd even go as far to say that her music just makes her even more repulsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I'd never even heard of Katy Perry until I read this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

I think it's a very catchy (albeit hugely attention-seeking) pop song. Katy Perry and her record company have done what they set out to do, put her name on the map. Disussions like this one only aid to make her known even better (exhibit A : Gyalist's post).
    That said, the song is in your face and designed to get a reaction. It's also hard to avoid it (or was, seems to have tapered off now). But it's really no different to having to look at a naked girl in a paper/videos where girls are wearing very little in order to please the artist in the video. Media like this really gets my goat, but I just switch it off, or I don't 'read' (with said paper, 'read' is a term that can be loosely used) a particular paper because I know I won't agree with what's in it.

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    If you rate the entire genre of hip hop/rap on the likes of what you hear on the radio, you are sorely misguided. And the use of the word bitch in rap isn't generally targetting the entire female race. There is no rapper alive who will spend 3-4 minutes whining about an ex, or how he's "too good" for his woman.

Thats the part that really gets on my nerves. Women have gained a lot of equality and everyone can agree that they are now a lot better off than lets say 20 years ago. But these pop muppets just seem to keep pushing it, always wanting to stick the knife in a little bit further. Have a listen to the radio at some stage today and just listen to the female artists and the subjects of their songs - they are all nearly identical, whinging about men in some way or other. Its ****ing patethic..

I don't see how any man could be "titillated" by the likes of Katy Perry. She's nothing special at all in terms of looks or songwriting (even though she thinks she is). I'd even go as far to say that her music just makes her even more repulsive.

A lot of generalizations there. Some people will say rap is sexist , not just because of the use of the word 'bitch' , but the general lyrical content. I think this is more common in recent hip-hop and rap, not so much the older stuff. For example, there's a song that goes ''I Got Ho's in Different Area Codes''. I forget which rap song it was, but still I think it's a pretty strong indication that men can give as good as women in the old sexism stakes. Then there's the gyrating 'bitches' in the videos...

About the female artists whinging- what, can people not sing about breaking up with their boyfriend now? What about all those emo bands for example going on about how a girl broke their heart and ruined thier lives? What about the (odious) Natasha Bedingfield's song 'I Want To Have Your Babies'- hardly a feminist call-to-arms , in fairness.

A lot of the so-called 'feminist pop' is actually designed for men's consumption. Take the Pussycat Doll's 'I Don't Need a Man'- best example of pure hypocrisy. Sure they sing about 'not needing a man' ( I guess this is the type of lyrics you describe as 'whinging' about men') but in the Dolls are more or less glorified strippers, designed to be aesthetically pleasing to men.

Pop music is the furthest thing from 'feminist' that there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think we can all agree that Katy Perry ain't no feminist. And tbh, I'm infinitely less bothered by the prospect of young girls singing along to this than to the Pussycat Dolls.

EDIT: Just saw Acacia's post re: Pussycat Dolls, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well there's nothing wrong with an 11-year-old being made aware that some girls kiss girls. However, kissing girls to look "sexy" and turn on the boys is what Katie Perry's going on about in that song. And she's at pains to point out that she ain't no dyke cuz she wakes up next to her boyfriend at the end of the vid.

Pussycat Dolls cause an unusual and sinister rage to stir within me... and consume my every fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ok, yeah, that's depressing Dudess. Mercifully, I haven't listened to the lyrics that closely. I know there's something about chapstick? Anyway, if she's talking about being an irritating Doran's attention ho' then no, that's not cool.

On the other hand, I have a smidgen of respect for Perry on the sole basis that she comes from a Christian fundamentalist background and her family are going spare about this song, which amuses me no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I haven't listened to the lyrics that closely. I know there's something about chapstick?
    "The taste of her cherry Chapstick" - oo-er vicar!
    On the other hand, I have a smidgen of respect for Perry on the sole basis that she comes from a Christian fundamentalist background and her family are going spare about this song, which amuses me no end.
    LOL - true!

Ever notice the way it can be the really christian ones who also seem to espouse sluttiness? Destiny's Child are bible bashers, as is Britney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Jayus.

and there I tought this thread was about the return of the riot gurls the likes L7 ect but nah it's about more manufacutre pop shíte aimed to titlate and get up people backs.

Feminist me hole.

If I had a hammer, I'd smash patriarchy.

Acacia wrote: »
    For example, there's a song that goes ''I Got Ho's in Different Area Codes''. I forget which rap song it was, but still I think it's a pretty strong indication that men can give as good as women in the old sexism stakes.

That's a song by a rapper called Ludacris, and is probably a bit more tounge in cheek than you take it for.. ;) Also, if I recall correctly it wasn't rammed down anybodys throat on the radio, which means you'd only take offence to it if you saw the video or somehow heard it.

About the female artists whinging- what, can people not sing about breaking up with their boyfriend now? What about all those emo bands for example going on about how a girl broke their heart and ruined thier lives? What about the (odious) Natasha Bedingfield's song 'I Want To Have Your Babies'- hardly a feminist call-to-arms , in fairness.

Of course they can sing about it but how many more times can it be done? There's already thousands of songs about the same ****..its a stale cliche at this stage.

As for emo bands, its a scene that seems to thrive on self pity (apologies to any emo fans reading but thats just how I see it). I also wouldn't think that those songs are on repeat every single day on the radio..

A lot of the so-called 'feminist pop' is actually designed for men's consumption. Take the Pussycat Doll's 'I Don't Need a Man'- best example of pure hypocrisy. Sure they sing about 'not needing a man' ( I guess this is the type of lyrics you describe as 'whinging' about men') but in the Dolls are more or less glorified strippers, designed to be aesthetically pleasing to men.

I don't think its quite right to say its music for mens consumption. The only men I know of that would listen to that crap, are poor souls like myself who have no option to get away from listening to the ****, or hairdressers.
    Pop music is the furthest thing from 'feminist' that there is.

That depends what level of feminism you would like to categorise it as. IMO it is a type of feminism - I point you back to Beyonces new song which is just 4 minutes of condescending bull**** about men. She seems to be so high and mighty, she's figured out everything men think and do and decided to take a jab at it. However, those same 4 minutes could be loaded with everything thats wrong with women - but that of course would have a backlash wouldn't it? Its only equality as long you've got the bigger share...

Xavi6 wrote: »

Anyway, the problem I have with songs like that Katy Perry one is the message it portrays. I was watching an evening chat show here the other week and Perry was singing the song live. Now there were all sorts of young impressionable pre-adolescents in the crowd singing along to the latest bubblegum pop. All well and good.....until you see a close up of some 11 year gyrating while mouthing "I kissed a girl and I liked it". Surely that's not right.

No not at all. I suppose it depends on what type of music you listen to, your background and so on, but yes hating Hip-Hop out of pure ignorance has become an artform for many people, or maybe for certain 'types' of people.

Besides, the main people that like Hip-Hop because MTV Base tells them to are teenage girls...who in fact, as we all know, aren't really people. ;) More like misguided little animals or something.

• Advertisement

That's a song by a rapper called Ludacris, and is probably a bit more tounge in cheek than you take it for.. ;) Also, if I recall correctly it wasn't rammed down anybodys throat on the radio, which means you'd only take offence to it if you saw the video or somehow heard it.

Explain how it's tongue-in-cheek though. I don't have a problem with the song really ( I kind of like it actually!), I just gave it as an example of a ''possibly'' sexist rap song. Just the word 'ho's' even is fairly derogatory, you would agree?

So, what, it's only offensive if it's over-played? :confused: Cop-out, my friend. Sure, it's annoying to hear a song, any song, over and over again, but if it's offensive, then that's it, doesn't matter how many times you hear it.

Of course they can sing about it but how many more times can it be done? There's already thousands of songs about the same ****..its a stale cliche at this stage.

As for emo bands, its a scene that seems to thrive on self pity (apologies to any emo fans reading but thats just how I see it). I also wouldn't think that those songs are on repeat every single day on the radio..

Of course, singing about break-ups, and how crummy men ( and women) are is a stale cliche, but it is the staple subject of the typical pop song, and has been since the dawn of popular music. What do you suggest women should sing about so?

RE emo- so when women complain about men treating them badly, it's condescending bull****, but when an emo band, for example, does then it's self-pity?

Again, the over-played argument. A lot of radio stations are given a list of songs to play, and they have to play these songs are certain amount of times every hour. Hence, why certain songs are every where for awhile, then disappear. In any case, how much they are played doesn't contribute to how offensive they are.

I don't think its quite right to say its music for mens consumption. The only men I know of that would listen to that crap, are poor souls like myself who have no option to get away from listening to the ****, or hairdressers.

Men may not go out and buy the CD's but they'll watch the videos, talk about how hot the girls are, etc ( Pussycat Dolls, Girls Aloud, etc). I would agree that it's mainly young girls who buy the music, because of the message it sends out- i.e. ''Listen to us, we're hot, men like us!". So perhaps it would be better to say it's produced for men's titillation and teenage girl's consumption. In any case, the emphasis is on the commodification of women's sexuality- which is not exactly a feminist ideal.

That depends what level of feminism you would like to categorise it as. IMO it is a type of feminism - I point you back to Beyonces new song which is just 4 minutes of condescending bull**** about men. She seems to be so high and mighty, she's figured out everything men think and do and decided to take a jab at it. However, those same 4 minutes could be loaded with everything thats wrong with women - but that of course would have a backlash wouldn't it? Its only equality as long you've got the bigger share...

Fair enough, you think it's a 'level of feminism'. I think it's a clever marketing gimmick- making women think they're empowered by listening to 'girl power lyrics', delivered by a scantily-clad chick. If you really think this is some sort of feminism, you need to brush up on your Simone De Beauvoir ;) Feminism is not a about hating men, it's about equality.

Advertisement