Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

age of your goldfish

• 29-10-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

just wondering has anyone got a golf fish over 10 years old? my one will be 10 in march!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

my lad is 9.... we got him in about april 1999 so I guess he's about the same age as your fella!! A neighbour had one for 14 years... lived in a goldfish bowl all his life (the fish, not the neighbour!!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    just wondering has anyone got a golf fish over 10 years old? my one will be 10 in march!!

I've two that are 12 years of age, and never looked healthier. They are quite big though- from nose to tail about 11" and perhaps 8" from dorsal to ventral fins. They're in a large coldwater tank with a ghost koi, a couple of shibuncans, a pleco and a few fish who can't quite decide who or what they are......

Our trick to keeping them happy and healthy is readily replacing their supply of Elodea every few weeks (they love to eat it) and playing with them daily (they will readily nibble your fingers). A little stresscoat when doing water changes, and monitoring the PH doesn't do any harm either.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

good to see theres a few oldies around, most people die within a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

The longest I ever had one was a year. Then again I'm not a very fishy person, I prefer the furries and the feathery animals. At the time we didn't have any internet or anything so information was hard to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

The first three goldfish in our house barely made it to 6 weeks :(

A lot of that was down to my ignorance, and a poor choice of tank and water changing. They were also being overfed, poor things, and that contributed to their downfall I'm sure.

Once we got a proper tank, with filters, ph sticks, stress coat, proper food and a more scientific approach to changing the water ... we've had the same three happy chappies for almost a year now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Have a few that would be over 6-7 I'd say.Fairly big too.Strange too since they're basically left to their own devices in the pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

My parents got a goldfish for my brother when he was a teenager. The fish lived for 15 years!

Around the time that the fish would have been 11 years old I was buying some gravel for the fish tank from the same petstore & mentioned it to the guy there. He reckoned that while it wasn't unheard of for a goldfish to live for such a long time it was unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Lol, all our fish were kept in a crappy little tank, overfed and rarely cleaned out. If I was getting more fish I would get proper equipment but it's not likely I will want to.

Advertisement