Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full spectrum lightbulbs - any good?

Options
  • 29-10-2008 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

You hear a lot about these in combating SAD etc. Are they effective? Are there any serious studies available on them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here's something from lumie.com. They reference an article published in the Abstracts of the Society of Light Treatment and Biological Rythms in 1989 - there's surely got to be something more recent than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Have a look at this and this for some more information. They are reviews from 2005 and 2006 :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

. Recent attention has focused on the blue region, which actively suppresses melatonin production23 and elicits circadian rhythm phase shifts.24,25 In a comparison of blue light with red light of lower intensity (designed as a placebo control), the antidepressant response to blue was superior, similar to that seen for white light in other studies.26 Whether there is a therapeutic advantage to narrow-band green or blue over white illumination requires further study, particularly regarding their tolerability and adverse effects.
    so would it be worth shining Blue / White LED's at the top of your head , like in a hat or something or would you need to light up the eyes / illuminate the skin too ?

10,000 LUX is a lot for a whole room
    but a 3Watt Luxeon LED would be a lot more portable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

I find them a lot nicer to work under. Not as cold a light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I have one and have to say I now much prefer it to a regular bulb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement