Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Obama was shot...........

Options
  • 29-10-2008 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Don't worry I'm not planning anything :D

Just something I was wondering today,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks Obama is an assassination waiting to happen, but if he was to be shot (and killed) before the actual election, who would take over his place running for President?

Obviously if he was shot while in office the VP would take over, but if he was shot before polling:

-Would Biden take over?
    -Would Hillary take over?
    -Would McCain just go into the White House?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Don't quote me on this but I think it would be ur man from the West Wing, that Sheen fella!;) :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

I'd say Biden.I think it's extremely unlikely Obama will be shot.why all this focus on a possible assasanition of Obama? Wouldn't McCain be just as likely to be a target.I think the secret service learned from the Disaster that happened to Presedent Kennedy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

jenno86 wrote: »
    Don't quote me on this but I think it would be ur man from the West Wing, that Sheen fella!;) :D;)

He might actually do a decent job too!
    (Great series - best series I have ever watched)

...but we digress.

Good question. Would love to know the answer myself. Interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,265 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If Obama's blood is spilled on soil, it will open the Gates of Hell! The Rapture is upon us!

*Runs Away*

*Faceplant into a Pole*

*Overheal is Knocked Out...*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I think people took season 1 of 24 way too much to heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/27/government-foils-skinhead-plot-assassinate-obama/

Doesnt seem really serious but I guess they couldnt really wait to find out could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Biden would. The man with 9000 voters behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Just because he's black doesn't make him more of a target tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Are you for real ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

jhegarty wrote: »
    Are you for real ?

*pinches self* yup I appear to be. All presidents have the possibility of being assassinated, its happened twice in 200+ years, neither of whom were black-so it would appear the chances of it happening are slim. How many black politicians have been assassinated in the past ten/twenty/fifty years?* What makes people believe this is a real issue? Its about as real as Obama's muslim faith.

*Bonus moron points for anyone who says MLK.

• Advertisement

Well night camoflauge counts for something I guess. But he's not exactly Wesley Snipes - he barely passes the Brown Paper Bag Test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The fact that he's black may or may not make him more of a target, I think the fact that he's just very different to your typical US president, even if you don't factor his race in, is a much bigger factor. He is obviously wildly popular with a substantial proportion of the US population but there are also many who will be frightened and angry after being decades of conservative WASPs in the white house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

cornbb wrote: »
    The fact that he's black may or may not make him more of a target, I think the fact that he's just very different to your typical US president,

he is very different for your typical US presidential candidate

he is not president yet

And if he does become president he will be no different than the rest once he is in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

he is very different for your typical US presidential candidate

An irrelevant point, he is very different to both typical US presidents and typical US presidential candidates.
    And if he does become president he will be no different than the rest once he is in the job.

I don't think you or anyone else is in a position to say exactly what he will say or do if/when he becomes president. Besides, he's already made a huge impact just given the fact that he's mobilised so many americans (including millions of first time voters who previously felt too disenfranchised to even bother voting) to come out and speak up. Even in the unlikely event he doesn't win, something tells me he wouldn't fade into relative obscurity like most other unsuccessful candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

From everything that I have heard it is a very serious concern in the US. A friend was on holidays over there a couple of weeks ago and she told me that she ended up chatting to loads of young Americans who were all going to vote for Obama, but they still all believed he would be assassinated within his first year. We can't judge the US on our standards of bigotry. As I've often said, in America they don't do things by half, and that includes the bad stuff!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

cornbb wrote: »
    The fact that he's black may or may not make him more of a target, I think the fact that he's just very different to your typical US president, even if you don't factor his race in, is a much bigger factor. He is obviously wildly popular with a substantial proportion of the US population but there are also many who will be frightened and angry after being decades of conservative WASPs in the white house.
    The United States and all its institutions are WASP creations.

The Secret Service started protecting Obama at the start of May, the earliest of any presidential candidate in history. (Also, Obama's SS managed to make Bill O'Reilly look foolish in one incident that slipped under my radar :D) Needless to say, I think the Security on Obama has taken well into account that he may be one of the most highly sought after targets since Kennedy.

Advertisement