Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baking

• 29-10-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I have been buying dried yeast in little sachets in my local Tesco and it is quite expensive. Does anybody know where I can buy it in bulk, in Dublin or online?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from the Helpdesk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The Irish Yeast Company on College St. sell dried yeast (they don't sell fresh anymore, unfortunately). I don't know if he does it in bulk though, but they're worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Most health food shops do Dove's Farm dried yeast in 125g packs. I think Fallon & Byrne also do it, or maybe some other variety that comes in a bigger pack. It's also worth trying the oriental and ethnic shops, they usually do good value packs of everything. I'm sure I've seen tins of yeast in Polish shops.

The little sachets are stupidly poor value.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 chrisss

Thanks a million for replies!
    I rang The Irish Yeast Company and they sell dried yeast in bigger quantities. Its about 6euro for ! lb which sounds like brilliant value. I think it may be the stuff you have to activate and maybe store in the freezer but still sounds well worth the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

No!! Don't freeze it, that won't do it any good at all.

Keep it in the fridge and it will last a while. Still, it might not be such good value as it seems - you'd want to do a serious amount of baking to use up a pound of yeast before it goes stale. Try a 125g pack and see how far it gets you... you really don't need much for a loaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 chrisss

Ta Rockbeer, you convinced me. Will try the 125g pack first. Mostly make soda bread anyway so the large amount would be sure to go off.

Advertisement